Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck Off John - Endgame Edition

McCain's such a down to earth guy:
    Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Wednesday that he was uncertain how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.

"I think — I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where — I'll have them get to you."

McCain’s comments came four days after he initially told Pastor Rick Warren during a faith forum on Sunday his threshold for considering someone rich is $5 million — a careless comment he quickly corrected.

In the interview, McCain did not offer an alternate number, but had a new answer ready.

“I define rich in other ways besides income,” he said. “Some people are wealthy and rich in their lives and their children and their ability to educate them. Others are poor if they’re billionaires.”

Comment

“I define rich in other ways besides income,” he said. “Some people are wealthy and rich in their lives and their children and their ability to educate them. Others are poor if they’re billionaires.”
      Only a fucking rich dickwad that doesn't know how many homes he and his wife own would say something as fucking stupid as that.

Comment

That's John "called his wife a cunt" McCain, always connecting with the regular guy.

Comment

On the potential VP side of things, a friend of mine just got hired to be the VP candidate-to-be's speechwriter. He was hired by the Obama campaign, and he claims that he has no idea who the VP candidate is going to be, and that it is traditional for the candidate's campaign to hire the speechwriter without discussion with the potential VP. Unfortunately, since he is already in Denver for the convention, I can't back him against the wall and badger him until he admits that he's a lying bastard.

My point (in addition to showing off just how quasi-connected I am, which for someone living in DC is dramatically unconnected), is that I think there's some chance that the VP candidate may end up being Tom Daschle. Daschle is very close to Obama personally, Obama's campaign and senate office has several former members of Dashle's senate staff, and my friend was Daschle's speech writer for several years.

I may be reading too much into my friend being hired. If it's true that presidential campaigns make these type of hiring decisions without respect to who the VP will be, then my friend's new job can be explained by his friendship with some of Obama's staff. Still, thought it was worth mentioning.

Comment

Oh God, please let it not be Daschle. He's got slightly better since he lost his seat but he was among the worst accommodationists in the recent history of Dem leadership (most sickeningly backing warrantless wiretapping) and not a good campaigner. Obama needs an attack dog Veep. Daschle isn't one. He's also a lobbyist, which would neutralise one of the Obama campaigns best lines of attack against McCain. A really, really stupid idea.

Comment

I mostly agree, GY, although I actually liked him as the Senate Dem leader much more than Reid. I had always thought he was more likely to be a close adviser in an Obama administration rather than the VP candidate. That being said, I'm not particularly excited about any of the possibilities, so I have a hard time getting too upset about anyone that I don't think will be a disaster (Daschle won't be a disaster, just a middling choice).

Comment

Obama's gone on the offensive over McCain's houses:

First he noted that McCain said that the U.S. is making "great progress economically."

"Who's he talking to?" Obama asked.

Then he cited McCain's "joke" from the forum at Saddleback Church when he offered to Pastor Rick Warren the definition that someone who's rich is someone who makes $5 million a year.

"I guess if you're only making $3 million a year then you're middle class," Obama said. "I guess that's what he meant."

Obama then cited the controversial comments by McCain economic adviser and former Sen. Phil Gramm, R-Texas, that the U.S. had "become a nation of whiners," and that the country was in a "mental recession."

Obama said that McCain said recently, "I think the economy is fundamentally strong."

"This puzzled me," Obama said. "Then there was another interview the same day…Somebody asked John McCain, 'How many houses do you have?' and he said, 'I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff.'"

The crowd laughed.

"True quote!" Obama said. "'I’m not sure, I’ll have to check with my staff.’ So they asked his staff and he said, ‘at least four.’ ‘at least four.’

"Now think about that," Obama told the crowd, "I guess if you think that being rich means you gotta make five million dollars, and if you don’t know how many houses you have, then it’s not surprising that you might think the economy is fundamentally strong.

"But if you’re like me and you’ve got one house," he continued, "or you're like the millions of people who are struggling right now to keep up with their mortgage so that they don’t lose their home, you might have a different perspective.

"By the way, the answer is John McCain has seven homes," Obama said. "So there’s just a fundamental gap of understanding between John McCain’s world and what people are going through every single day here in America. And you don’t’ have to be…a Nobel Prize laureate economist. You just have to have a little bit of a sense of what ordinary people are going through to understand that we cant afford eight more years or four more years or one more year of the same failed economic policies that George Bush has put in place."

Comment

I like the subtle comparison of himself to Josiah Bartlett there.

And this translates into taxation policy... how?

Comment

Toro De France wrote:
                    I like the subtle comparison of himself to Josiah Bartlett there.
                    Where? Not that I would probably see it, since I never watched the West Wing.

Comment

"you don't have to be a Nobel Laureate economist to see..."

Comment

OFFS:
                        The McCain campaign was in full damage-control mode as the housing story took off today. Rogers tried to play down the story, saying that reports of the many McCain houses were overstated.

"The reality is they have some investment properties and stuff. It's not as if he lives in ten houses. That's just not the case," Rogers said. "The reality is they have four that actually could be considered houses they could use."

Those four include an apartment in Arlington, a ranch in Sedona, and two condos, in California and Phoenix, he said. The others include "some investment properties and things like that."

He also added: "This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison," referring to the prisoner of war camp that McCain was in during the Vietnam War.
                        But he really doesn't like to talk about his time as a POW. That would be crass.

Comment

McCain's willingness to exploit his POW years has risen to near-Giuliani and 9/11 levels.

Comment

"It's outrageous to claim that McCain - a former POW - would seek to exploit his POW status for political gain."

Comment

Have you seen the McCain's homes video?

Comment

They've been hitting that very, very hard. Indeed, it was almost universally assumed that the Veep choice would be today (or yesterday, as of about two minutes ago...), but it never happened, probably because the homes thing was giving them so much mileage.

Comment

Heh.

Comment

Good one.

Comment

OK, what's all this stuff about an Italian mag having found Obama's long-lost half-brother living in a shack in Nairobi? And why does this story seem to be playing out bigger outside the US than within it?

Comment

Obama's attack ad on the McCain homes issue.

Pretty limp, I'd say. This is the best opening they've had to date on McCain and the economy and they're not exactly pressing the advantage.

Everyone should also read James Fallows' article in this month's Atlantic about the Rhetorical presidency. He makes some interesting comments about how much less at ease with himself Obama is in '08 than he was in 2004.

Comment

So the latest chattering among the DC chatterers is that it's Biden (and there's apparently a charter plane from Chicago to Delaware in the air as we speak). Of course, the DC chatters are rarely correct.

Comment

Bayh?

Comment

My prediction?

The event in Springfield will begin before the text messages go out. Everyone there will be crazy with anticipation. Suddenly, everyone gets a ding on their cell phones, check to find out...

and Hillary walks on stage.

Comment

CNN is reporting that it is Biden. Though this isn't a 100%, both Bayh and Kaine have confirmed that it's not either of them.

Comment

Although, to be fair, Biden said that, too.

Comment

NYT reporting that it is Biden as well.

I hope that Gyrui's pal is good, Biden has all the stage presence of a cigar store indian.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X