IRELAND HAVE WON A MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiero- like I said to Toro, lighten up. The banter's got a bit edgy, that's all. What's ruined?

Back to Paddy Barnes and his post-match BBC interview.

Interviewer: So Paddy, what do you think of the tournament so far, and tell us something about your training routine?

Barnes: Well, I'm looking forward to fighting the Chinese guy. He beat me previously but I've improved this year. I'm delighted to have qualified and got this far...back home between competitions I like to chill downtown with my mates.

Interviewer: Er, that's an interesting contrast to the exhausted rowers and cyclists. Back to Jill at the velodrome...

Comment

Why, oh why, oh why can't the Irish happily in peace and accept that what unites them is greater than what separates them? No other part of Britain needs to behave like this, what with joy-riding, constant bickering, guns and what-not.

Together you have 3 medals. Well done, that's really great for a small country with lots of horses and too many priests.

Come on, pull yourselves together.

Comment

chippy wrote:
        too many priests
        Not any more -- the current rate of lads joining the priesthood is about one a year, for the entire country.

Darren Sutherland (presumably no relation to our ample-bottomed friend "Bunter" Sutherland of Goldman Sachs fame) goes into battle against a Venezuelan at 1pm. If he wins, he will have grabbed a third medal for Ireland.

Comment

Another positive impact of the economic miracle then!

Comment

So vocations will be going up again then

Comment

having given all that money to the black babies in the fifties and sixties, it's nicely circular that we will have to start importing priests from africa soon.

Comment

Or Poland.

Sutherland is 6-1 up on his opponent after two rounds, and looks as comfortable as Egan did yesterday.

Comment

darren sutherland is battering the world no.2 all around the ring and is 6-1 up going into the third round.

Comment

wooooohoooooo.

Hopefully they won't turn out to be full of drugs like the last two winners.

Comment

Sutherland wins 11-1. This all seems unnervingly piss-easy for Ireland's boxers.

It's a deeply weird sensation to see Irish athletes at the Olympics going out full of confidence and expecting to prevail.

Comment

so now two Irish boxers are going to be boxing against two english boxers to get to the final, and on the strength of the quarter finals they've shown, the two irish boxers would appear to have a really good chance of making the final. I kind of feel sorry for the guy who has to fight the chinese boxer.

What kind of accent does sutherland have?

Comment

The current rate of lads joining the priesthood is about one a year, for the entire country
                          If that's actually statistically true, it's Fact of the Day - and I'd like to read an interview with that one individual every year.

Comment

there's a couple more than that, but a lot don't make it to the end, and the attrition rate at the other end is absolutely staggering.

About two years ago I got asked to a gig in a nursing home out in baldoyle on the northside of Dublin. It turned out it was a nursing home for infirm christian brothers. It was really weird to look at these old fuckers who inspired absolute terror back in their day. All of them so feeble and old.

The mam of a friend of mine asked me to do it, as she was involved in their legal team at the commission into clerical childrape. It was one of the most uncomfortable evenings of my life.

There is no need to spell out that there are almost no christian brothers of teaching age anymore.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                              The current rate of lads joining the priesthood is about one a year, for the entire country
                              If that's actually statistically true, it's Fact of the Day - and I'd like to read an interview with that one individual every year.
                              Does this mean that all the childrape is going to be happening in Irish boxing from now on?

(Sorry! Sorry!)

Comment

given the scandals that engulfed Irish swimming about 10 years ago that's not too cool. It seems like child abuse was a recreational pastime (as well as institutionalised activity) in this country back in the good old days.

Comment

I still can't believe that the Catholic Church managed to pass on the majority of their liability for financial compensation to the state. A celebratory thread for national success gets turned into an idiotic ruck about the North and children abuse, this can be a strange place sometimes.

To echo Hieronymous, it is startling to see the poise and confidence of our boxers. That's not what we expect from our Olympians!

Michael Carruth mentioned that we've won 12 medals in boxing. I think 5 of those have been won by fighters from Northern Ireland representing Ireland. A lot of our swimmers in this Olympics are from the North also. Population-wise, North Korea seem to provide an unusually high proprtion of our Olympians. It's even more impressive if you factor in those competing for Team GB from the six counties. What is the reason? Better facilities, more emphasis on sport in British run schools? Has there been any research done on the disparities?

Comment

Nil Arshavin wrote:
                                    A celebratory thread for national success gets turned into an idiotic ruck about the North and children abuse, this can be a strange place sometimes.
                                    Yeah, I knew it was risky to make that post of mine, but it was only meant as (risky) humour. I apologise if it caused offence.

(I've got no interest in any North/South thing though, btw.)

Comment

Nil - they're permanently beating the shite out of each other up there, the least they can do is earn a medal from it

Comment

But I still say Bravo, Well Done

Comment

Quick profile of Sutherland - he has taken an unusual track through life so far

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0821/1219243767678.html

Comment

Yeah, I knew it was risky to make that post of mine, but it was only meant as (risky) humour. I apologise if it caused offence.

nah, not really. given the way things were in the last forty years in Ireland there are very few organisations that deal with children that don't have some dark past.

Sutherland seems very cool when they interview him. He's not your typical boxer. In interviews he likes to thank the principal of his old school for letting him back to do the leaving cert after heading off to sheffield.

Comment

Why, oh why, oh why can't the Irish happily in peace and accept that what unites them is greater than what separates them? No other part of Britain needs to behave like this
                                              That's right, the other insignificant part of Team GB (Team Geo Bur?) is too busy jeering the national anthem, bribing the ref and poncing around in fancy dress. Although Ronnie Browne (of the Corries, singing Flower of Scotland) looked in fine fettle. He was 71 yesterday I think.

they're permanently beating the shite out of each other up there, the least they can do is earn a medal from it
                                              Aye, and they're permanently riding round and round a funny looking wooden track and all. Why can't cyclists use the outdoor 400m track?

A celebratory thread for national success gets turned into an idiotic ruck about the...North Korea
                                              Agreed, odd that. I really can't think how it kicked off

12 medals in boxing. I think 5 of those have been won by fighters from Northern Ireland representing Ireland. A lot of our swimmers in this Olympics are from the North also. Population-wise, North Korea seem to provide an unusually high proprtion of our Olympians. It's even more impressive if you factor in those competing for Team GB from the six counties. What is the reason? Better facilities, more emphasis on sport in British run schools? Has there been any research done on the disparities?
                                              Historically, a lot of the boxers because there was a professional circuit in Belfast- and thus better facilities- while the South was fully amateur.

Two of the South's swimming team of three are from Northern Ireland. Leaving aside any declarations of identity*, as I said on the other thread it looks mutually beneficial. Our guys get in a team, you get people who can make the qualifying standard. Need to tighten up on equipment and training though- we don't want goggles falling off or a whiff of Vicks Sinex abuse next time.

The teams' make up is largely down to arithmetic. If we assume crudely that Olympic places directly relate to population, you'd expect 30% Ultonians in the South's team, 3% in the Brits.

There is some bad feeling, largely down to the often malign influence of Pat Hickey (longtime Olympics boss in Dublin). He used to whine about the British team having 'Northern Ireland' in its name, and still sometimes grumbles when a NI-based competitor gets Brit government funding.

As anyone watching the track cycling will have noticed, Team GB have been very hard-edged in preparing for these games. Basically, they only funded and ultimately chose those likely to win gold. Another NI cyclist, Emma Davis, also worked with Romero and Houvenaghel's coach. She was dropped as not good enough, and eventually represented the South in the triathlon, finishing 37th. That was ahead of one of the other Brits, but the BBC didn't mention her. I texted Nicky 'Jambo' Campbell to complain.

Three of the Ultonians- all rowers- went to the same school, Coleraine Inst. It's a grammar, not particularly posh, but benefits from having the university facilities on the river Bann nearby. Two of the three are younger, single and can live in England and train at Eton College (or wherever, Rick Derris to thread). The third has a job and young kids and it may simply be easier for him to train in Dublin. Again, I don't know how he feels about his identity. He may not give a flying fcuk, of course.

I'm sure there is research on the subject, try the NI govt site or Coleraine (Ulster) University.

Four medals, two apiece, seems fair enough so far.

* I saw the swimmer Andrew Bree in one of his heats. Enthusiastically cheered on by some fans with a large tricolor. Not something you'd see every day in his home village, Helen's Bay (twee even by the standards of Belfast's 'have yacht' suburbia).

Comment

Bree is a positive-thinking alternative medicine style maniac.

I was up at the ulster fleadh in Castlewellan about a month ago and the facilities that Northern Irish schools have far outstrip those in the south. A lot of schools in the south are building some of these facilities now, but in the north they have been there for nearly 20 years.

oh and I saw my first orange order march.

Comment

What sort of facilities has Castlewellan (a village, basically) or Downpatrick that the fourth richest country in Europe lacks?

Comment

well It has a huge well equipped school for the surrounding area. It has a big indoor gym, well maintained playing pitches for GAA and football, basketball courts and netball (which I'd never seen before) This sort of shit is a lot more well established in the North.

Castlewellan is a really lovely spot, laid out with a diamond and a square, yet in the middle of this picturesque plantation era town is a monument to the "Down Volunteers" who fell in the course of 'active duty'. This monument gets demolished on an annual basis by someone who obviously doesn't think it reaches the aesthetic standards required for the area.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X