Streets of shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streets of shame

I'm a single letter away from having the address Then Jericho Street.

Comment

Streets of shame

WOM wrote: IIRC, we're also Northern Ireland neighbours as well
      Really? Missed ye down the Halliday's Road interface

Comment

Streets of shame

The street names in my part of OTF's favourite north Bucks new town include the following elements: Swanson, Grable, Sinatra, Davis, Niven, Hepburn, Cushing, Fonda, Harlow and Heston.

Comment

Streets of shame

Duncan Gardner wrote:
          Originally posted by WOM
          IIRC, we're also Northern Ireland neighbours as well
          Really? Missed ye down the Halliday's Road interface
          I double checked. You mentioned it once when I said my people were from Greyabbey, County Down.

Comment

Streets of shame

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
            Other Madrid addresses to avoid/rename: Calle de la Division Azul (the volunteers who fought with the SS on the Eastern front); Calles/Avenidas of various Francoist generals
            Whoa, naughty. Especially the Blue Division one.

I thought they'd renamed the worst offenders- the Castellana was Generalissimo (Franco) when my parents worked there in the late 70s, there was also a General Mola nearby?

Comment

Streets of shame

Perhaps not the finest address (in Faversham, Kent):

Comment

Streets of shame

Thanks WOM: featured on the local home holidays TV show the other day, Greyabbey did.

Hopefully we'll share a beer either in the Ards or far end of Lawrence East sometime. Are there bears?

Comment

Streets of shame

You want a bear? I can get you a bear, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a bear by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Comment

Streets of shame

WOM just needs to make a couple of calls to his dentist...

Comment

Streets of shame

how much to shoot it?

Comment

Streets of shame

Recently renamed Allegiance Avenue.

Comment

Streets of shame

All the Franco-named streets/squares were renamed about 10 years ago, as well as the statues coming down, but many military figures associated directly with civil war repression still get away with it.

Comment

Streets of shame

Depends on the context - Calle Luis Carrero Blanco would be awful, but Calle Limusina del Luis Carrero Blanco would be fine.

Comment

Streets of shame

An aunt and uncle of mine live opposite a house called Rivendell.

Comment

Streets of shame

Calle Limusina del Luis Carrero Blanco
                                and with a volante in there somewhere, even better

Comment

Streets of shame

I've been down Cockle Dicks Lane this evening

Comment

Streets of shame

Comment

Streets of shame

Comment

Streets of shame

Comment

Streets of shame

France is chock-full of places named after dubious political figures. There are thousands of places still named in honour of USSR dignitaries, Nazi collaborationists or people like Adolphe Thiers and nobody bats an eyelid.

Even by those standards that Pétain one above (in Dernancourt) stuck out like a sore thumb though; the council was eventually pressured into renaming it a few years ago against most of the residents' wishes.

Comment

Streets of shame

Theres a "Hawes Court" in Sunderland not far from the estate built on Roker Park. Which incidently has Midfield Drive, Promotion Close, Clock Stand Place etc.

Comment

Streets of shame

Street-associated rather than street per se but there's a thoroughfare in Southsea called Fawcett Road which has, or possibly had (not sure if it's now closed), a rather lovely pub:

Comment

Streets of shame

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Street-associated rather than street per se but there's a thoroughfare in Southsea called Fawcett Road which has, or possibly had (not sure if it's now closed), a rather lovely pub:

Is that the brewery tap?

Comment

Streets of shame

My flat in Dublin was at the end of townsend st, but the translation of the irish name is leper's hill road. The hill at the end of it is now called misery hill, and which once had a gallows and gibbet, is now home to a lot of solicitors firms.

There's a Laneway across from my dad's home in dromcollagher, called boithrin cac na mban, which translates as the Laneway where women go to shit.

There's also a lot of towns around Ireland which were once home to British army bases that have a street called blind street, this is a mistranslation from the irish for cuckoo street. I'll leave it to your imagination as to which service industry was based there.

In Galway I live very close to a conservation area called tonnabrucky bog, which either translates as badgers arse bog, or dirty arse bog. As badger like is an adjective for dirty. And finally there's a village in the north called Tandragee, which in irish is arse to the wind.

Comment

Streets of shame

Oh and my mam is from a headland that translates as the buttock or haunch, and the name of the area translates as the stormy peninsula, which on the west coast of Ireland means something

Comment

Working...
                                                    X