Sugar Rush!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Rush!

http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/business/business-news/tesco-to-ban-ribena-capri-sun-and-fruit-shoots-in-childhood-obesity-battle-1-6873488

Sugar Rush!

Teaser for you.

Without looking it up, what was the volume of a Coke purchased in McDonalds in 1955?

Comment

Sugar Rush!

I do know in the UK McDonald's served their own cola when they first set up shop.

So I'll assume the same for the US and say "zero".

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Blimey.

If you must know, the first McDonalds didn't open in the UK until 1974. Meanwhile in the US, you could buy a Coke in McDonalds in 1955.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Coke and McDonald's are very, very close worldwide and have been together in the US since the very beginning (or soon thereafter).

6 ounces? I think that was the volume of the small bottles that were current at the time.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

I'll give you that.

The standard bottle of Coke at the time was 6.5oz (192ml) and the serving at McDonalds was 7oz (207ml).

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Blimey.

If you must know, the first McDonalds didn't open in the UK until 1974. Meanwhile in the US, you could buy a Coke in McDonalds in 1955.
              Meanwhile, it appears we allowed the loss of this particular landmark pass us all by -

http://blogpreston.co.uk/2014/11/kfc-to-close-fishergate-restaurant-which-was-first-to-open-in-the-uk/

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Guy, I must say I admire your fortitude in reading all these local sources.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

This comment made me feel slightly unwell.

Many, many moons ago, when Vic Walmsley used to be the manager there, I was a VERY regular customer, sometimes even having it for dinner and, if the wife had had a bad day at work and didn't fancy cooking when we got home, tea as well. On a few ocassions, as I went in the staff were just about to throw away a whole tray-full of chicken (about 24 pieces if I remember right) because they were slightly overcooked and couldn't be sold to the public, so because I was such a good customer, I was allowed to pay for two pieces and chips but take the whole 'ruined' tray - which was indeed slightly overcooked, but thoroughly enjoyable nontheless :-)
                  24 pieces of overcooked KFC. The North, it is truly another country.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Janik wrote: Guy, I must say I admire your fortitude in reading all these local sources.
                    Only because I was trying to look up when The Colonel had come to Blighty, as I knew it was in Preston, and before McDonald's.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Lucy Waterman wrote: This comment made me feel slightly unwell.

Many, many moons ago, when Vic Walmsley used to be the manager there, I was a VERY regular customer, sometimes even having it for dinner and, if the wife had had a bad day at work and didn't fancy cooking when we got home, tea as well. On a few ocassions, as I went in the staff were just about to throw away a whole tray-full of chicken (about 24 pieces if I remember right) because they were slightly overcooked and couldn't be sold to the public, so because I was such a good customer, I was allowed to pay for two pieces and chips but take the whole 'ruined' tray - which was indeed slightly overcooked, but thoroughly enjoyable nontheless :-)
                      Given that whenever I've eaten at KFC the chicken has been uniformly undercooked, I'd take overcooked any day.

Chicken Cottage FTW.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

KFC is the best idea that you never follow through on. It is the meal of regret.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                          Originally posted by Lucy Waterman
                          This comment made me feel slightly unwell.

Given that whenever I've eaten at KFC the chicken has been uniformly undercooked, I'd take overcooked any day.

Chicken Cottage FTW.
                          Hen Cabin!

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Guy Potger wrote: Only because I was trying to look up when The Colonel had come to Blighty, as I knew it was in Preston, and before McDonald's.
                            Nice that you knew that. By 'nice' I mean frightening.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

WOM wrote:
                              Originally posted by Guy Potger
                              Only because I was trying to look up when The Colonel had come to Blighty, as I knew it was in Preston, and before McDonald's.
                              Nice that you knew that. By 'nice' I mean frightening.
                              Preston.

City of firsts

First League winners
                              First mo'orway in the UK
                              First Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

Why would the editor decide to say that Tesco is "banning" them. They aren't stocking them - it isn't like they confiscate them if you turn up at the store with a capri-sun.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

I dunno why KFC bother with those minuscule lemon-scented moist towelettes - you'd be hard-pressed to get rid of all that fucking grease from your hands and mouth with a whole tub of Swarfega, let alone something about a quarter the size and 0.000000001% as effective as a baby wipe.

Their fries are rank as well - pale, insipid and plasticky. I swear they are McCain's Micro Chips.

AND they can never get the water/syrup mix right in their soft drinks.

On the other hand the coleslaw and beans are alright.

Comment

Sugar Rush!

I think that article about the Preston KFC may contain the least interesting fact of all time:
                                    It is quite an interesting fact that the original Kentucky Fried Chicken premises seen in the two pictures above was, for almost 100 years, a branch of Liverpool based Johnson Bros Dyers which later became Johnson’s Dry Cleaners.

Comment

Working...
                                    X