X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dentist Kills And Skins Protected Lion

Janik wrote:
    Originally posted by MsD
    There may be some links between poverty in Africa and some Africans taking backhanders to facilitate trophy killing but I doubt it's that simple; criminality/poverty don't always overlap, some people are greedy nasty bastards.
    The biggest issue that lions (and many other species) face is habitat loss, which is driven by both local poverty (caused, or at least exacerbated by global capitalism of course) and more directly through global capitalism's avariciousness for resources and commodities.

This sort of thing is why Green politics have to have macro economic policies. Protecting endanger species is impossible without addressing economic drivers. As I'm sure you are fully aware, so I'm not sure why I'm telling you this!
    :-)
    You're telling everyone, and it needs saying.

Comment

garcia wrote:
      Now there’s a man who’s gazed upon one too many naked photographs of Vladimir Putin.
      i don't think you'll find any photos of putin with dead big cats. drugged ones yes, but they're alive. killing them would make him look like too much of a cunt.
      Haha. You think a man of steel like Putin is worried at this late stage about being perceived as a cunt?

Comment

garcia wrote:
        the lion's poor cubs.

About the only silver lining in that story is that it was a male Lion. So no cubs were likely to be harmed (in this particular case). Lions are very un-PC when it comes to childcare...
        isn't the point that all the cubs in the pride will be killed by cecil's successor.

still, i suppose this would have happened at some point anyway so all the dentist has done is to bring the date forward.

Comment

Haha. You think a man of steel like Putin is worried at this late stage about being perceived as a cunt?
          well ... yeah, given that the whole point of all those propaganda images is to make him look good. making him look like a cunt would defeat the purpose.

Comment

That's right, though I presume there is a point at which the former cubs are of a sufficient size and strength that the new Alpha no longer finds it expedient to kill them all.

The "professional hunters" who serve as "guides" in this kind of thing must meet an even more depraved cross-section of humanity than I do as a lawyer who works with investment bankers.

Comment

i'd guess they meet some of the same guys.

Comment

Maybe in the City, but NY bankers aren't big hunters. It's considered rather gauche right now.

Comment

garcia wrote: isn't the point that all the cubs in the pride will be killed by cecil's successor.

still, i suppose this would have happened at some point anyway so all the dentist has done is to bring the date forward.
                  Or back, if Cecil wasn't the father of the cubs in his pride, or indeed wasn't with a pride. That sort of thing is hard to account for.
                  Trophy hunting a male lion is highly damaging, and something only an enormous cunt would do. Trophy hunting a lioness would be an added dollop of aggravation.

Comment

garcia wrote:
                    well ... yeah, given that the whole point of all those propaganda images is to make him look good. making him look like a cunt would defeat the purpose.
                    Erm, the pictures were greeted with widespread ridicule and made him a global laughing stock.

Comment

Green Calx wrote:
                      Originally posted by garcia
                      Erm, the pictures were greeted with widespread ridicule and made him a global laughing stock.
                      Weren't they intended for domestic consumption though?

Comment

indeed.

Comment

garcia wrote:
                          indeed.
                          Unfortunately, it's not 1983 any more and worldwide broadband exists.

Comment

Green Calx wrote:
                            Originally posted by garcia
                            indeed.
                            Unfortunately, it's not 1983 any more and worldwide broadband exists.
                            Which means it's more like 1984. Eh? EH?

Suit yourselves.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: I'm with EIM on this one, however tragic this is the human death toll of people trying to reach the west and the UK in particular caused by Dave and Tony's policies and then the brutal closing of all the doors and the demonisation of these people is much greater.
                              Yeah, I can see where he's coming from. Horrible as it is, I'm a bit surprised by the level of traction that lion story has got, to be honest.

Reminiscent of the general furore when the Tories tried to lift the fox-hunting ban and how this would "retoxify" their brand or whatever. Apparently they were not toxic when it was only immigrants, disabled or poor people dying, but foxes! We can't be having that.

(And I know that one can care about both the plight of immigrants/disabled people/the unemployed etc. and that of fluffy animals with big eyes. But there are an awful lot of people - not on this board, I hasten to add - who don't seem that bothered by the former.)

Comment

It isn't just Brits, either.

We've recently had cases in which the outrage expressed at the police shooting domestic animals has been greater than that at them shooting human beings.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: We've recently had cases in which the outrage expressed at the police shooting domestic animals has been greater than that at them shooting human beings.
                                  Michael Moore always said he got more hate mail about the woman skinning rabbits than about the cops shooting a black man in Roger & Me.

Comment

Reminiscent of the general furore when the Tories tried to lift the fox-hunting ban and how this would "retoxify" their brand or whatever. Apparently they were not toxic when it was only immigrants, disabled or poor people dying, but foxes! We can't be having that.
                                    but that isn't really about the foxes. it's at least as much about the fox hunters. 95% of people see a fox hunter and think, who the fuck does this rich cunt on a horse think he is? there's something about the thought of the hunt in full flight that really pisses most people off. the tories can't afford to be too open about the fact that they are the champions of the fox hunting classes. the hunters are the really toxic thing about fox hunting, not the animal cruelty.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle
                                      Originally posted by MsD
                                      I hope the refugee killers all die horrible deaths too.
                                      The British people, the French police and the political machinery of the European Union?

Oh and global capitalism.
                                      Those probably have a lot to do with Lions being an endangered species as well.
                                      Lions are currently a vulnerable species - likely to become endangered unless the circumstances threatening its survival and reproduction improve.

Comment

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Yeah, I can see where he's coming from. Horrible as it is, I'm a bit surprised by the level of traction that lion story has got, to be honest.
                                          I'm surprised you're surprised. It's got a defenceless animal on one side and a rich American hunter on the other. And it looks like he knew he was doing something illegal. Frankly, how could it fail?

Comment

garcia wrote: but that isn't really about the foxes. it's at least as much about the fox hunters. 95% of people see a fox hunter and think, who the fuck does this rich cunt on a horse think he is? there's something about the thought of the hunt in full flight that really pisses most people off.
                                            Uh. Anything to support that statement? I'm sure that's true for some people (you, for a start), but I'm going to need more evidence to accept that 95% figure.

Completely unrelated, but is there any reason why the story keeps being reported as "Dentist kills lion"? Is it because everyone hates dentists?

Comment

I actually couldn't give a shit whether he's rich or poor.

Comment

MsD wrote: I actually couldn't give a shit whether he's rich or poor.
                                                What if it was a Maasai?

Comment

The Minnesota Marathon Man story resonates beyond the killing of the lion, indefensible as that already was, because of the lengths that the stupid fucker went to to 'take' his victim in a one sided non-contest and the extra suffering that appears to have been inflicted upon the beast so that he could indulge his fetish for hunting with a bow and arrow.

Edit: as Carnivorous Vulgaris has pointed out just now.

One of my cousins lives up in the Borders and is heavily into 'country sports'. He puts photos onto Facebook of his kids holding assorted birds and mammals that they've offed. It is truly incomprehensible to me. Vis a vis WOM's point about foxhunters, the clothes they wear for a day's killing really don't help matters.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: I suspect it's because "dentist" codes for "wealthy individual working in a field that will never bring him into contact with animals" therefore emphasising the extent to which he went out of his way just to kill something because it made him feel good.
                                                    I suspect it's because he's a dentist.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X