Dentist Kills And Skins Protected Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it possible to be appalled by both?

People who have registered their repulsion over the killing of this lion haven't necessarily done so by transferring their compassion for the plight of the African people you mention.

As an aside of my own, I wasn't mad about EIM''s "as a nation we.."

Do we? What, all of us?

Comment

Yep, why this has to be flagged up as some kind of mutually-exclusive club is beyond me.

Comment

Ah, never mind. I'm off to an unrelated thread to talk about corduroy or gull classification or something. Play to my strengths.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Yep, why this has to be flagged up as some kind of mutually-exclusive club is beyond me.
          This is where someone says "Venn diagram".

Comment

Nice example of the comparison between concerns over African animals and African people right on the front pages:

Comment

You're taking the Daily Mirror as fair example?

Good luck with that.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: You're taking the Daily Mirror as fair example?

Good luck with that.
                Yup. It's a daily national and therefore a reflection of where general attitudes lie.

Comment

It's a pity Mugabe didn't get his hands on the dentist.

Comment

Or a manipulator of same. You decide.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: You're taking the Daily Mirror as fair example?

Good luck with that.
                      What should we take? The BBC? One of Rupert's rags?

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
                        Originally posted by Jah Womble
                        You're taking the Daily Mirror as fair example?

Good luck with that.
                        Yup. It's a daily national and therefore a reflection of where general attitudes lie.
                        Hmm, not so sure about that. The Mirror now has daily sales well below one million. Can you really gauge the national mood based on that?

The Daily Star is also a daily national, but I'm sure even its editor would never consider it to be "a reflection of where general attitudes lie".

This is a whole other issue, though.

Comment

As this seems to be the Eurotunnel/Calais/Migrant/Crisis thread.

The "voice of reason" speaks -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33701008

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote:
                            Originally posted by MsD
                            I hope the refugee killers all die horrible deaths too.
                            The British people, the French police and the political machinery of the European Union?

Oh and global capitalism.
                            Those probably have a lot to do with Lions being an endangered species as well, so the unnecessary loss of one making a significant impact. OK, maybe not the French Police, but the last in spades and the other two are not exactly blameless.

Comment

There may be some links between poverty in Africa and some Africans taking backhanders to facilitate trophy killing but I doubt it's that simple; criminality/poverty don't always overlap, some people are greedy nasty bastards.

Conflating the two issues doesn't really work for me.

The lion killing story is straightforward: the lion was beautiful and innocent (he didn't kill just for kicks) and the dentist is a cunt.

If trophy killing isn't tackled, several species face instinction (and several African economies will suffer through reduced tourism).

The refugee question is more complex.

Comment

I'm thinking of crowdsourcing a project to raise $50,000 to send the dentist back to Africa to say sorry to the rest of the lions. In person. Having been dropped into the middle of the savannah from a helicopter, without any weapons.

Comment

Good idea. I'm sure the lions would 'accept' his apology in a language he could understand.

Conflating the two issues doesn't really work for me.
                                  Nor me. Suggesting that people should question or temper their personal indignation toward this in light of the thousands of other world wrongs is not just flawed, it's pointless.

But, as was stated upthread, 'welcome to OTF'.

Comment

the thing that interests people about the lion story is not the lion or the lion's poor cubs or the threat of extinction or the relative poverty of zimbabwe. it's the dentist. every reaction is about what a sick fuck the dentist must be.

if the lion story seems to be getting more traction, it's not because people on social media can ooze sentimental compassion towards a good-looking animal yet are incapable of caring about human deaths. it's because one story features a sadistic serial killer of animals, and the other story is about a luckless individual who ended up at the grinding intersection of great impersonal political and economic forces. it's almost like an industrial accident.

if a calais migrant had been lured out into the wilderness and killed with a bow and arrow by a psycho dentist from minnesota, i guarantee that would have been the top story.

Comment

Similarly, had 1,500 lions attempted to enter the Channel Tunnel...

Comment

MsD wrote: The lion killing story is straightforward: the lion was beautiful and innocent (he didn't kill just for kicks) and the dentist is a cunt.

If trophy killing isn't tackled, several species face instinction (and several African economies will suffer through reduced tourism).
                                        Add to that the trade in rhino horns and elephant tusks and so on in the Far East. This is indeed an economic issue which is taken very seriously in southern Africa.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Similarly, had 1,500 lions attempted to enter the Channel Tunnel...
                                          Ben would be delighted.

Comment

Now there’s a man who’s gazed upon one too many naked photographs of Vladimir Putin.
                                            i don't think you'll find any photos of putin with dead big cats. drugged ones yes, but they're alive. killing them would make him look like too much of a cunt.

Comment

MsD wrote: There may be some links between poverty in Africa and some Africans taking backhanders to facilitate trophy killing but I doubt it's that simple; criminality/poverty don't always overlap, some people are greedy nasty bastards.
                                              The biggest issue that lions (and many other species) face is habitat loss, which is driven by both local poverty (caused, or at least exacerbated by global capitalism of course) and more directly through global capitalism's avariciousness for resources and commodities.

This sort of thing is why Green politics have to have macro economic policies. Protecting endanger species is impossible without addressing economic drivers. As I'm sure you are fully aware, so I'm not sure why I'm telling you this!

Comment

garcia wrote:
                                                Now there’s a man who’s gazed upon one too many naked photographs of Vladimir Putin.
                                                i don't think you'll find any photos of putin with dead big cats. drugged ones yes, but they're alive. killing them would make him look like too much of a cunt.
                                                Oh I dunno. He's happy to tell the world that Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize, so he clearly doesn't mind looking like a cunt.

Comment

Incidentally, drowning refugees are never going to get such coverage as the lion murderer. If it isn't the lion killer, then it'll be a Kardashian story that leads, or a Manchester United/Chelsea/Liverpool story or something else unimportant.

Lion killer didn't displace refugees from the front-pages, but some celebrity "scandal" or multi-zillion pound transfer. At least this story is about something important.

Comment

garcia wrote: the lion's poor cubs.
                                                    About the only silver lining in that story is that it was a male Lion. So no cubs were likely to be harmed (in this particular case). Lions are very un-PC when it comes to childcare...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X