So, Norwich...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Norwich...

... Which as of next weekend will be my home. Is moving 180 miles across the country a sign of midlife crisis?

So, Norwich...

Isn't it *exactly* the same as Ipswich, but yellow?

Comment

So, Norwich...

You missed out that every house has to have a pet Canary. Local bylaw.

Comment

So, Norwich...

Norwich is a perfectly pleasant place. It's not like you're moving to Skelmersdale or something.

Comment

So, Norwich...

It's a sign of good taste. Which bit are you moving to?

Comment

So, Norwich...

You'll have a decent MP, if you're in the right half of the city anyway. And the football ground's great, though you won't appreciate me saying that.

Comment

So, Norwich...

Good luck with the move DA, hope it's for good reasons.

Comment

So, Norwich...

Oh yeah, totally the right reasons.

I'm off to the Golden Triangle, which in MP terms is the right half.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I remember there being a nice pub by the station that overlooked the river. As is the way of these things, I expect it's all flats, now.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I have very warm feelings towards Norwich now I don't live there or ever need to go there. As a teenager, I hated it for not being London. As a thirty something, I like it for the same reason. Went on my stag do there which was a hilarious evening.

Pub top five:

The Steam Packet (largely for personal reasons)
                    Adam and Eve (all olde worlde charm)
                    The Rose Tavern (this should be near you, DA)
                    The Rose Valley Tavern (confusingly, ditto - they're round the corner from each other)
                    Hog In Armour (nice city centreish drinking)

One for every day and a church for every Sunday, innit.

Aside from that, not so much going on. I believe they have a Bella Pasta and a Corn Exchange, though.

Comment

So, Norwich...

Good luck DA.

What's wrong with Skem? I bought some trousers from a catalog company there the other day.

Comment

So, Norwich...

It's easier to explain what's right with Skem:
                        1-Close to the motorway network
                        2-Strong yogic flying community
                        3-............. No, thinking of a third thing was too ambitious

Comment

So, Norwich...

Oh wow, the Steam Packet was our base in the late 90s and early 00s, Lucy. Many, many all-night lock-ins there.

I'm out of touch with the place now but it's still good for shopping (as in, everything you could want close together plus lots of curios) and architecturally well balanced. The newish flats you see when you roll into the station give you the impression it'll be another everytown, but there's a really natural mix of buildings from medieval to post-war concrete.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I may be an Ipswich fan, but there's no doubt that Norwich is great. My favourite thing is probably the Playhouse, which has a great bar and attracts most of the stand-ups worth going to see.

If we're recommending pubs, I'll put a word in for The Plough in St Benedicts Street, a traditional no-food ale pub run by a friend of mine who founded and co-owns the brewery that owns the pub and thus provides the beer (Grain Brewery).

Comment

So, Norwich...

I know the Rose Tavern, it's in the next street to friends of mine, although having spent about four weeks there over the past three months, I've not ventured in yet.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I'm not too sure about the pedestrianisation of the city centre. You have to think about the Dixons delivery men.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I heard the giant copper dogs in front of the town hall now give the thumbs up instead of a Nazi salute. About time too.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I'll look forward to welcoming you to the Fine City personally.
                                    PM me for a meet (no obligation, I promise I'll only mention recent derbies for, ooh, an hour or two at most).
                                    The Rose Valley is now The Mulberry, a very different type of pub, but OK. The Rose is a good pub. Earlham Arms good for food.
                                    They are of course lions in front of CITY Hall, not dogs!!

Comment

So, Norwich...

I did a post-grad course in Norwich in 96/97. At that time, students used to be able to get into Carrow Road for a fiver, anywhere in the ground. I think the normal adult price at the time was 11 quid.

Cinema City was a brilliant institution - don't know if that's still going.

And my local pub was the Whalebone, at the bottom of St Clement's Hill, north of the centre. No food, always about 6 real ales on. Magic place.

One of my favourite UK cities, Norwich. I liked the train ride up to Cromer/Sheringham too.

Comment

So, Norwich...

I like to belittle the place because it takes up half of the city centre, moocowe.

Cinema City got revamped and is still a great arthouse cinema (although like most of them part of the Picturehouse empire now).

Comment

So, Norwich...

I've only been to Norwich once, which was about 10 years ago, but I remember it as being an altogether pleasant place. There was a floating Chinese restaurant on the river which I enjoyed a very nice meal at.

Comment

So, Norwich...

moocowe wrote: I'll look forward to welcoming you to the Fine City personally.
                                            PM me for a meet (no obligation, I promise I'll only mention recent derbies for, ooh, an hour or two at most).
                                            The Rose Valley is now The Mulberry, a very different type of pub, but OK. The Rose is a good pub. Earlham Arms good for food.
                                            They are of course lions in front of CITY Hall, not dogs!!
                                            That sounds a great idea. I'll PM when I'm settled in a week or two.

Comment

So, Norwich...

This book, Slow Norfolk, is a good 'un.

When the author says that Holkham is one of the finest beaches in England, he isn't kidding either. The walk from the car park to get there is a long one though.

Comment

So, Norwich...

[quote=Lucia Lanigan post=1076882]I like to belittle the place because it takes up half of the city centre, moocowe.

I know, we're all touchy about the town/city thing here!

That sounds a great idea. I'll PM when I'm settled in a week or two.

Cool, FYI I'm away soon till the middle of August.

Comment

So, Norwich...

Kevchenko wrote: This book, Slow Norfolk, is a good 'un.

When the author says that Holkham is one of the finest beaches in England, he isn't kidding either. The walk from the car park to get there is a long one though.
                                                  ...and the walk to sea when the tide is out three times as far again.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X