Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New consultation

Comment

Well everyone looks happy there. Not from Harmondsworth then.

Comment

Approved. Madness.

Comment

John Glen, Economic Secretary to the Treasury and City Minister, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme ministers had looked at "all the dimensions" of the project.
          He said: "It is right that the government has looked at all the concerns around the environmental effect, but from the perspective of UK PLC we need to expand our capacity and this is the right thing to do."

Fairly selective about when they have to bear the best interests of 'UK PLC' in mind, aren't they?

Comment

Is this a clue that we're getting a very soft Brexit?

Comment

And the environment takes another one for economic growth.

Hammond in particular doesn't stand for anything "green" that might fetter things.

Comment

What was astonishing when this was reported on BBC Radio 4 this morning the main emphasis seemed to be a jokey conversation between John Humphrys and Lauraa Kuennsberg as to how Boris Johnson would aavoid the promise he had made to "lie down in front of the bulldozers"

The debate was entirely between Heathrow and Gatwick- the environmental argument wasn't put at all. And Johnson's lies and deviousness were seen as simply amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                  Is this a clue that we're getting a very soft Brexit?
                  A Why?
                  b Who give a shit?

Comment

That they expect it's affordable and will still be needed.

Comment

So after 10 years, the government's position is that Gordon Brown and Ken Livingstone were right all along?

I know that's not the main issue, but this sort of stuff is becoming a bit of a pattern. All that fuss in 2010 about Sheffield Forgemasters. And locally to me, they cancelled the A465 upgrade and are doing it now. I'm sure there's something similar near most of you.

In purely economic terms, how much growth was pissed away?

Comment

I remember at the 2015 General Election night Boris Johnson giving it the full "I'd lie down alongside John McDonnell to stop this" treatment.

McDonnell's still implacably opposed, so this is going to be an interesting vote. But echoing Nef, yeah it's utterly depressing to see the environmental angle - which is, like, the most important fucking thing of all – being largely ignored.

Comment

McDonnell can walk if he's opposed to Labour policy. Those Single Market shadows got sacked for trying to protect their constituencies. What's the difference?

Same with Starmer and HS2 for that matter.

Comment

I think the difference might be that Corbyn's spokesman has confirmed that they'll be whipping against the 3rd runway.

Comment

They were in favour in the General Election, I thought.

Comment

Ah, subject to tests they were in favour. The draft manifesto which was leaked had a stronger commitment.

Comment

Yes, this 'subject to tests' is a bit of a theme, isn't it...

Comment

It is. But it's fair enough here, where you're in control of the decision.

Comment

Actually McDonnell's been a bit cheeky. The tests were, it seemed, open at the general election. But in March this year he all but said the tests can't be made. Hence the whipping now.

Again, it's not exactly policy made by members, is it? On a huge issue too. Maybe members would support him, of course.

Comment

Is Heathrow even going to need two runways after the UK crashes out of the Free skies agreements? That's pretty much going to be the end of its status as an international hub.

Comment

Again, it's not exactly policy made by members, is it? On a huge issue too. Maybe members would support him, of course.
                                          I think the current membership would. There's a green tinge to a lot of the recent joiners. Which is a good thing of course.

Comment

Yeah, they probably would.

I think it could work. The economic benefits seem clear, and you could mitigate the overall climate impact from those. It's more convenient for most people than Gatwick, and dovetails with stuff already happening with HS2 and Crossrail, and you could add some other fairly cheap stuff to improve rail access.

But the local air quality could be the big stumbling block. I'd like a genuine test on this.

Comment

But we might be lucky if we can still fly to Jersey, the way things are going.

Comment

Is Johnson next?

Comment

Nah, opposing Heathrow Expansion is no good for him getting higher than he is.

Comment

So, Johnson has fled to Afghanistan to avoid having to vote.

Churchillian

Comment

Working...
                                                    X