British Speedway Fans - Keep Using Rebel Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray de Galles wrote: Just looked at the FB page coincidentally, the main complaint is that the Wyvern "looks too Welsh"!
    They are happy to have a racist badge from 4000 miles away but not something that merely looks like the world's greatest badge from over the river.

Comment

The thing with both the Somerset badges is that a Wyvern is supposed to have only two legs, whereas a Dragon has four.

Comment

The Somerset wyvern appears to have always had four legs. The criticisms are just red herrings though, the ones that aren't accepting it just want to keep hold of the soft swastika.

Mind you, that badge does look ridiculously like a tilted Welsh dragon. Bonus for me and Ray on the merch front, of course.

Comment

You have to stop using the term "soft swastika", it's deeply silly.

Unless you actually mean something like this :

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: Just looked at the FB page coincidentally, the main complaint is that the Wyvern "looks too Welsh"!
            My rugby club uses a Wyvern as its badge and we got so fed up with people asking us why we had a Welsh dragon on our shirt we shoved a St George's Cross behind it.

Comment

The Somerset Rebels FB page is quite the nostalgic journey back to when racism was only just becoming bad.

More politically correct nonsense (I've tried to be polite). There was nothing wrong with the confederate flag.
              If you pander to SJW's and cave in over the Confederate flag they won't be satisfied and won't stop there. They don't give a monkeys about the issues they claim to care about and are only interested in virtue signalling to make themselves look good and "right on".

They will take the line that the Stars and Stripes was being displayed with pride at My Lai and the Union Jack oversaw Amritsar.
              I agree. Will they stop flying the Aussie flag at the stadium because of the Aboriginal issues that have occurred in the past.
              Few years ago I got harassed on Facebook by an idiot Newport fan claiming all Somerset fans were racist because of the Confederate flag.
              (And WASP is often used as White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant)
              The flag itself is not racist, it's the inferences drawn by others.
              And that attitude of holier than thou do holders just makes me more determined to tell them to wind their necks in.
              Barack Obama approves of this. Lol. How p.c
              It, in my opion is Political Correctness Crap !!! A bit like us being asked not to fly the Cross of St George because it may offend our ethnic bretheren !!!
              Crap design, wont be buying any merchandise with that emblem on it, bring back the Stars and Bars

Comment

Streatham drop the "Redskins".

Comment

I kept tweeting them and the direct messaging leading lights in speedway populace at large all last summer on this issue. I was so pleased to see their new (crappy) logo.

Comment

Bit late, but still:

Well done, Bordeaux Education, for sticking it to the Somerset Rebels.

However, as one of the few Somersetonians in the world and possibly the only one on this board, I can't shake off the feeling that your obsession with the 'Pitchfork' Rebellion smacks of a big-town Charlie who, try as he might, doesn't understand the ways of the country.

A logo reflecting the genuine Somersetonian, and what we think and feel, would be a picture of a dopey-eyed fellow with a cider bowl in his hand and unidentifiable stains on his breeches. Think "quite a few of the regulars in our local".

Comment

Yeah, I did think of that but thought they might think I was taking the piss.

Calling me "a big-town Charlie who, try as he might, doesn't understand the ways of the country" is, perhaps, the sweetest thing you have ever said to me.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: Calling me "a big-town Charlie who, try as he might, doesn't understand the ways of the country" is, perhaps, the sweetest thing you have ever said to me.
                        Yes, but you're a Cockney. What else could you be?

And even if you weren't born within the sound of Bow Bells, you live in Bath. Which, for us, is far enough east that it's virtually London anyway.

Comment

What's the speedway fan base like?

My instinct tells me it overlaps with train spotting and Dungeons and Dragons, but I suppose it's a prejudiced association on my part due to speedway being both a minority interest and deeply uncool.

Comment

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: What's the speedway fan base like?
                            I swear it was When Saturday Comes that, literally decades ago, described speedway fans as "people who dutifully voted Conservative and then got hammered by the poll tax". I can't remember the context, though.

Comment

That's pretty reasonable, I think. It make non-league football watching look like armed anarchist revolution.

Comment

I've done my homework. According to YouGov speedway fans are old, rich, right-wing fucks from Central Scotland.

Big overlap with the Rangers fanbase then, which goes a long way to explain their love for racist symbols.

Comment

Do you actually want a serious answer or are you on the thread for banter and lolz?

Of the dozen or so sports I regularly watch, speedway has markedly the most working class (and seemingly cash-strapped, given the regularity of complaints about ticket prices around the £16 mark) supporter base of all of them.

The speedway audience is generally quite old (though there is a surprisingly large proportion of parents with quite young children) and because of that is probably relatively conservative/reactionary which is why something like the Rebels confederate flag was tolerated for so long.

They are probably closest to the more eccentric end of lower league/non-league football supporters.

Fans of British ice hockey (another sport I regularly watch) are certainly more peculiar than their speedway equivalents.

Comment

Crikey.

Comment

From what I've seen, the average speedway fan wears clothing relating to a team that folded twenty years ago.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Vulgarian Visigoth
                                        What's the speedway fan base like?
                                        I swear it was When Saturday Comes that, literally decades ago, described speedway fans as "people who dutifully voted Conservative and then got hammered by the poll tax". I can't remember the context, though.
                                        I'm also convinced an article in WSC many years back described them as 'speccy geeks wiping grit out of their eyes wandering lost about the terraces.'

Something in relation to grounds that were/are used for both speedway and football.

But actually what RdG and to a lesser extent Southport Zeb says.

Comment

Working...
                                        X