No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a bit weird reading back the first couple of pages of this thread.

Comment

Barry won yesterday and are looking better than expected in third. Connahs Quay are pushing TNS right at the top. Bala and Cardiff Met seem to be struggling a bit so far.

Comment

Cardiff Met v TNS live on S4C today. 12.30 kick off.

A rare occasion when I want the Met to win.

Comment

A bit of a surprise taking place in Cyncoed - Met 2-0 up after 36 minutes.

Comment

Finishes 4-1 to Met. Their first ever win against TNS. Good result for everyone else in the league.

Comment

Not sure how long it's been since a WPL (or LOW) player featured in an international squad, but Modou Touray, currently at Barry Town on loan from Newport County, came on as a sub in the under 21 game tonight.

I'm really delighted for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Not sure how long it's been since a WPL (or LOW) player featured in an international squad, but Modou Touray, currently at Barry Town on loan from Newport County, came on as a sub in the under 21 game tonight.

I'm really delighted for him.
                Didn't a TNS player get called up as well? The one who is on loan from Swansea (I can't remember his name)

Comment

Here is the answer - https://clwbpeldroed.org/2018/10/15/...dimu-progress/

Comment

Ben Cabango was called up to the under 19s. He has a brilliant name, so I hope he progresses.

Comment

First round proper of the Welsh Cup today. Standout result was Denbigh Town 9, Holyhead Town 3.

The WPL teams don't enter until round 3.
                      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 21-10-2018, 10:34.

Comment

Grange Albion 1-0 Canton Liberal

Grange should have won this by a mile. Had 3 or 4 clear cut chances to finish the game off but their shooting let them down. They pay Cardiff Council to cut the grass on their pitch and on Friday when they came round to do it the person driving the mower drove in to one of the breeze block dugouts and broke it. The dugouts are a ground requirement so getting it fixed is an issue for the club. It was going on just across the road from Cardiff City so you could follow both games quite easily from the roar of the crowd.

Comment

I'm surprised they play on the same day as City. But then I'm not sure there's much of a fanbase crossover.

Comment

I'm surprised they play on the same day as City. But then I'm not sure there's much of a fanbase crossover.
                            It was a rearranged game.

Comment

JD WELSH CUP ROUND 2 DRAW

Airbus UK Broughton v Llay Welfare*

Bangor City v Cefn Albion*

Buckley Town v Denbigh Town*

Flint Town United v Gresford Athletic*

Guilsfield v Dyffryn Nantlle Vale*

Holyhead Hotspur v Ruthin Town*

Llanfair United v Porthmadog*

Llangefni Town v St Asaph City*

Prestatyn Town v Berriew*

Rhyl v Caersws*

Aberbargoed Buds v Penybont*

Caldicot Town v Cambrian & Clydach BGC*

Cwmamman United v Blaenrhondda*

Cwmbran Town v Ton Pentre*

Goytre United v Pontyclun*

Haverfordwest County v Swansea University*

Monmouth Town v Ynysddu Welfare

Pontypridd Town v Goytre

Sully Sports v Cwmbran Celtic*

Treharris Athletic Western v Briton Ferry Llansawel*

Ties to be played 9/10/11 November.

Of the games, Pontypridd Town v Goytre has caught my eye because a) Pontypridd play at Leckwith in Cardiff now, very near my house, and b) a mate plays for Goytre and I've been talking about going to see him play. There are some fairly lowly teams one game away from a possible match up with a WPL 'giant'. Cwmbran Town are a phoenix of the old Crows and play at Welsh tier 5 I think.

Comment

I didn’t think Cwmbrân Town had gone out of business to require a phoenix club, are you sure it’s not exactly the same entity?

How on earth has it come about that no Cardiff club uses Leckwith Athletics Stadium but Pontypridd do?

Comment

You're right, they aren't a phoenix. They almost went bust in 2007 and their current Gwent League status is down to repeated demotions. I thought they'd been forcibly demoted for financial problems but apparently that was due to a restructure i the Welsh League.

Regarding Leckwith, one Cardiff club do play there - Canton Liberals in the South Wales Alliance Premier. Ponty moved there at the start of this season I think. The move was because their current ground couldn't be upgraded or some such. The last Cardiff team to call it home was Grange Quins before they folded. I guess other Cardiff clubs like Grange Albion and Bridgend Street have their own grounds. STM Sports play on the Cardiff University 3G pitch in Llanrumney but they want to stay on the east side.

Technically it's the Cardiff International Sports Stadium, and it cost £5.7m to build. It's quite nice though. I saw Quins play a Welsh Cup game there a few seasons ago.
                                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 23-10-2018, 11:49.

Comment

Llanelli were so bad defensively in the highlights on Sgorio tonight I had to rewind and watch it again to try and work out what the defenders were doing. Their goal was a hilarious OG as the keeper mispunched the ball into his net. Llanelli's keeper didn't put a foot wrong and even saved a penalty. Without him they'd have shipped 10. Llanelli also had another man sent off after having 2 men sent off against Barry last week. Reckon the reserve keeper will be getting a run out in defence next week.

They couldn't show the Barry goal this week due to "problem technigol" but they did show Bala's penalty miss.

There were a lot of sendings off this weekend. Maybe it's because players are less skillful or refs not as good but I don't think the 4G pitches help. There seems to be less friction to slow people down when they're sliding in compared to mud and grass.

Comment

Oh, and TNS get dubious penalties and don't seem to concede them no matter how obvious.

Comment

So last weekend TNS lost and Connahs Quay and Barry leapfrogged them to be joint top with the Quay top on goal difference.

Last night TNS lost again. Today Barry were away to Connahs Quay and got a creditable draw. Next Saturday they play TNS. It's very tight at the top but Barry are looking very good for a top three spot when the league splits in January.

Meanwhile, Llanelli shipped 7 goals again. They've been getting thumped almost every week.

Comment

Pontypridd Town played their first 'home' game at Cardiff Athletics Arena today, bearing Goytre 6-3 in the 2nd round of the Welsh Cup. They haven't been able to play there until now as the council have been doing up the running track.

Comment

Welsh Cup 3rd round draw today. No WPL clubs drawn against each other. Draw was mainly regionalised but Cwmbran Celtic (who I saw the other night at Goytre) got TNS at home. They're excited on the Twitter but I'd put money on TNS hitting double figures against them.

Comment

Big changes afoot in the Welsh system as of next season with a regionalised conference directly below the WPL. Both the Northern and Southern Conferences will have 20 clubs and will each provide a new club for the WPL. The new tier 2 will have stricter regs and ground grading etc, ostensibly to ensure clubs are WPL-ready if they get promoted. It means the Cymru Alliance and the Welsh League will both lose clubs and their top divisions will now be tier 3. It looks like the FAW want to run the tiers below the new conferences as well but that's not going to happen immediately.

Comment

Excellent news in the League Cup, Cambrian & Clydach Vale Boys & Girls Club (a WFL D1 side from the Rhondda who joined the WFL in 2005) beat Ffranchis CPD in the semi-final and will now meet Cardiff Met for the trophy.

C&CVBGC have now beaten four top flights sides in the competition and apparently have designs on bringing WPL football to the Valleys.

Comment

They beat Barry in the first round. Not sure Barry were fielding their strongest side. But still a great achievement for them to go on and get to the final. We could do with a Valleys team in the WPL along with a proper Cardiff team.

Comment

Big changes afoot in the Welsh system as of next season with a regionalised conference directly below the WPL. Both the Northern and Southern Conferences will have 20 clubs and will each provide a new club for the WPL. The new tier 2 will have stricter regs and ground grading etc, ostensibly to ensure clubs are WPL-ready if they get promoted. It means the Cymru Alliance and the Welsh League will both lose clubs and their top divisions will now be tier 3. It looks like the FAW want to run the tiers below the new conferences as well but that's not going to happen immediately.
                                                    Hopefully the final will be somewhere local. I travelled to Aberysthwyth for the last year. It was a good day out. Carmarthen or Llanelli would make it a good excuse for a day trip.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X