Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about impossible, it certainly used to happen via the welsh cup and that was the original mooted idea, as crap as it is

Comment

Probably the best thread to note that the 2017 Champions League final will be in Cardiff, 6,000 tickets up for grabs.

Comment

To who? Locals?

Comment

Yeah, I saw that. Might try and get to it.

On another note, Harry's favourites TNS won away in Thorshavn in front of one traveling fan. And Kowalski's favourites Bala have said they will play their second round Europa League Qualifier at the Cardiff City Stadium if they get through. (Which I might go to, as a) my Great-Grandad came from Bala, and b) it's ten minutes walk from my house.)

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: To who? Locals?
            Yep.

Comment

I'd like to give a big well done to our teams for their European performances this season..

12 games - 6 wins, 1 draw, 5 defeats (none of which by more than 2 goals)

I don't think we can ask for much more than that..

Comment

Really not sure if you're taking the piss there or not.

Comment

no of course I'm not, why would I? ..

newtown were beaten comfortably but not disgraced, the unmentionables (as I saw them called on here recently) won in 90 mins away to the Hungarian champions.

the other 4 ties / 8 games were keenly contested with reasonably evenly matched opposition, with our teams prevailing in 2 (close to 3 of the ties).

I'm guessing this has arguably been overall the welsh league clubs best year in Europe? ..

Comment

It's just a shame that one of them has to be TNS.

Comment

In other news......

The Bangor City Supporters' Association are now the biggest shareholder in the club.

Llandudno (or is it Llandudno Town? - No-one seems sure) are now called "MBi Llandudno FC" after a sponsorship deal.

"Simon Moppett, Managing Director of MBi Hotel Management Ltd – developers of the recently opened luxury boutique-style Llandudno Bay Hotel said “With their local developments on many fronts, coupled with their existing investments in sport in the UK, Llandudno Football Club complements our own activities and strategic plans for the future.”

“The MBi Group are impressed with the structures in place and the major investments already made in the club and look forward to a mutually successful future together.” adds Mr Moppett."
                      Another charming little corporate story from the homely Welsh Premier League.

Comment

30 years ja service wrote: I'm guessing this has arguably been overall the welsh league clubs best year in Europe? ..
                        Don't believe the social media hype.

In 1996 Barry Town progressed through 2 rounds before "doing alright" against Aberdeen.

In 2005 Rhyl and Carmarthen progressed through a round and only lost narrowly in the next round.

In 2010 the franchise and Bangor progressed through a round each, and the franchise started a round later in the European Cup than they did this year.

Comment

That was a little lazy on my part, apologies.

I can remember all of those examples to varying degrees.

Whilst I did originally say arguably, in recent years probably would have been a better way to describe it ...

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Nothing different, there was no significant support at all amongst the Cardiff fanbase for adopting/creating a new club.

I think I've mentioned on here before that I spoke to the people who ran the UWIC team in the summer of 2012 about the possibility of them becoming a "City of Cardiff Bluebirds FC" style club.

However, they were already in the process of being rebranded as Cardiff Met and I soon realised there was no real appetite for such an endeavour from CCFC supporters.

Wasn't there also a bit of an issue in that we would have had to, erm, rebrand them to have a blue first kit? I think we would probably been bothered about that than they would, in reality.

Comment

First qualifying round of the Welsh Cup is on 22 August.

Split into North, Mid and South for the draw.

Full fixture lists here

I am free that day but not sure if I'll get to one of these.

EDIT: Cardiff Hibernians? I might have to go and watch them.

Comment

Porthcawl Town Athletic are at home that day and in their first league match the Saturday before. Crucially, Bath City are away both days. May have to pay a visit to Locks Lane.

Comment

Do they have a proper ground then? I looked up AFC Butetown and their home games are on parks pitches.

Comment

This is the best photo I can find.

Obviously, it's in the summer when the posts are down but it looks like they have got a reasonable clubhouse and floodlights. I seem to remember that, in the 70s, it had a barrier rail running around the pitch but that seems to have gone.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                      Nothing different, there was no significant support at all amongst the Cardiff fanbase for adopting/creating a new club.

I think I've mentioned on here before that I spoke to the people who ran the UWIC team in the summer of 2012 about the possibility of them becoming a "City of Cardiff Bluebirds FC" style club.

However, they were already in the process of being rebranded as Cardiff Met and I soon realised there was no real appetite for such an endeavour from CCFC supporters.

Wasn't there also a bit of an issue in that we would have had to, erm, rebrand them to have a blue first kit? I think we would probably been bothered about that than they would, in reality.
                                      No, at that point they played in all blue. They changed colors to maroon when they were rebranded as Cardiff Met for 2012/13.

Comment

Ah, right. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot - rebrand scab wankers.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: colors
                                            !

Comment

I suppose I have to blame the iPad's autocorrect. It's set to English English but won't properly spell colours, recognise etc.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Oh, almost forgot - rebrand scab wankers.
                                                Not the first time they had changed colors (as Harry calls them). Used to play in white when they were Inter, IIRC.

Comment

The Welsh Premier League started this weekend, break out the bunting.

Comment

yes

they did use=d to play in white

they had a season where rick wright the cardiff city owner owned both clubs and allowed intern to play at Ninian even had a joint team photo (hence me recalling the white)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X