Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kowalski, thanks for that. Actually it occurred to me later that there's no need to justify not liking a team that plays in the same league as yours. But I'll admit I was curious. I could see why you might put Airbus/AUK in the same sentence as TNS* but why Bala was less clear.

And Connah's Quay are spending money? A friend of mine went to 2 or 3 of their games last season and said the team was half made up of kids. He also said one of these games was free entry but there were still well under 200 there. A sugar-daddy's come in presumably?

*I'm in Slovakia, and Slovan Bratislava are pretty loathsome. So that tie between them and TNS last year was one where you wished both could get hammered.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote:
      Originally posted by Jongudmund
      South Wales League champs Caerau Ely are apparently setting up a women's side as well. (According to the Twitter.)
      Caerau (Ely) are champions of the Welsh League, which covers just southern Wales. It's not to be confused with the Welsh Premier League, which mostly consists of clubs from north and mid Wales, or the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area), which is for clubs in the north east of Wales. There are three leagues which have South Wales in their name - the first two of which are the South Wales Amateur League and South Wales Senior League. These two leagues cover the same area (the area administered by the South Wales FA) and the have one promotion place between them to the Welsh League (the league for team from southern Wales), so the champions of the two leagues normally have to have a playoff. However this years playoff (STM Sports of the South Wales Amateur League beat South Wales Senior League side Pontlottyn for those interested) was the last, as the two leagues are merging to form the South Wales Alliance League. This new South Wales league (not to be confused with the National Premier Leagues New South Wales, National Premier Leagues Northern New South Wales or New South Wales State League) will simply promote its champion.

Hope this clarifies things.
      Thanks Zeb. I put South Wales League in to differentiate as 'Welsh League' sounds weird considering it's just in South Wales. But yeah, you're right there are other South Wales leagues and nomenclature matters.

I saw Caerau (Ely) twice last year as a friend was in their team. They lost both times - including a cup final on penalties where they had led 2-0 in the shoot-out. I don't know if I'll be allowed to see them again as clearly I'm a jinx.

Comment

I will spend the rest of the season trying to work out the riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma inside a conundrum that is Porthcawl Town Athletic. I will then give up and try and find the Chagos national team's results.

Comment

Haverfordwest are back in the top league are they not? usually catch at least one of their games each year. last year a 1-1 v afan lido

Comment

Haverfordwest did get promotion back to the Welsh Premier League. Caerau (Ely) were not seeking promotion so the Welsh League runners up could get the promotion spot. For some reason the two contenders played their final matches on different days. Cardiff Met were in the promotion spot when they completed their fixtures but a few days later Haverfordwest secured the 5-0 victory that left them level on points and goal difference with Cardiff Met but crucially having scored more goals.

Comment

superb. i had no idea it went down like that who are cardiff met? assume one of the university teams. not a big fan of college teams in top div.

I assume wales still only European league with no team from capital

Comment

Caerau (Ely) couldn't get promoted because their facilities are incredibly basic. No floodlights and a tiny 'stand'.

(If you know Cardiff, drive out on the Ely Link Road A4232 up to the motorway. Halfway between Leckwith and Culverhouse Cross look left down off the flyover and you see a pitch with a shed next to it. That's their ground.)

Cardiff Met are linked to Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Some history. Cardiff Metropolitan was formerly UWIC, the University of Wales Institute of Cardiff. UWIC had one season in the Welsh Premier League (possibly still called the League of Wales then) after they took over Inter Cardiff, which had run out of money.

Inter Cardiff (AKA Inter Cable-Tel at one point) were in the Welsh Premier / League of Wales for a few years and played at the old Leckwith Athletics Ground (bulldozed to make space for the Cardiff City Stadium). I went to see them a couple of times in LoW days and saw at least one UEFA Cup qualifier.

Inter Cardiff's previous incarnation was Sully FC, founded in the 1970s I think.

@Rick. True in men's football. Cardiff Metropolitan Ladies are currently mixing it in the women's UEFA Champions League. They were Women's Welsh Premier League champions and Cardiff City FC Ladies were fourth.

Comment

I wonder what would have happened if Inter Cardiff had existed concurrently with the Tan re-brand.

Comment

Nothing different, there was no significant support at all amongst the Cardiff fanbase for adopting/creating a new club.

I think I've mentioned on here before that I spoke to the people who ran the UWIC team in the summer of 2012 about the possibility of them becoming a "City of Cardiff Bluebirds FC" style club.

However, they were already in the process of being rebranded as Cardiff Met and I soon realised there was no real appetite for such an endeavour from CCFC supporters.

Comment

At the risk of earning your ire, Harry, I'm a bit envious of my Dad and brother who are going to Oswestry to cheer on Thorshavn against TNS soon.

Comment

Further on the capital representation, I think the last team from Cardiff in the top flight of Welsh football was Cardiff Grange Harlequins.

The Quins resigned from the Welsh League division 3 towards the end of last season and are effectively dead and gone now. They were playing at the new Leckwith athletics stadium for while. I went to a Welsh Cup game there a couple of years ago where they gave away two penalties for pushing at corners.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: At the risk of earning your ire, Harry, I'm a bit envious of my Dad and brother who are going to Oswestry to cheer on Thorshavn against TNS soon.
                          Oh no, I think cheering on the opposition is laudable. The butterfly collector in me would love it too.

Comment

didnt realise inter cardiff were previously sully

I grew up in Penarth fwiw

i recall inter cardiff playing at ninian for a season, with tricky ricky wright owning both

Comment

BTW, I once saw inter cable tel play at celtic in the UEFA cup.

Comment

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jun/29/welsh-football-league-gareth-bale-wales-euro-2016-champions-league-europa-league?

Seems like this thread has prompted this article. I can hear Kowalski already with the bit on TNS

Comment

rick derris wrote: BTW, I once saw inter cable tel play at celtic in the UEFA cup.
                                  The team I saw them play was from Gorica in Slovenia, I think. I know they won on the night and lost on aggregate.

Comment

You only need to quote the PR master

In that letter Harris also offered advice to other Welsh clubs – and in so doing showed why TNS are unloved by many. “Surely other clubs should focus on raising their standards and perhaps, if they had built on their success and showed the vision and ambition to bring in younger players instead of paying through the nose for football journeymen to play part-time and instigated more intensive training regimes, then they too would be achieving greater success.”
                                    He's the WPL's very own IDS.

They say romance is dead in football but I had a look in the comments section.

An Idea:

What if Swansea City and Cardiff City entered their reserve teams in the Welsh league... Interest would soon heat up then as teams would want to beat the "big boys". Young players would be subject to competitive football from 16/17/18, meaning the national side at all levels would improve. Plus the European spots may be filled by team that may actually be able to qualify.
                                    I can't tell you how much I yearn to take an exotic trip 4 hour down the A470 to watch the reserves sides of Cardiff and Swansea in grounds that aren't situated in Cardiff or Swansea.

It'll happen, it'll happen. In 6 years time they'll be professional reserve sides, plastic pitches, summer football and away goal defeats in Malta will be the latest signposts on the road to progress.

Comment

Pretty sure they can't have reserve sides in the WPL as that invalidates the Uefa requirement to have a national league or something.

Also, why would Cardiff or Swansea want to do that?

Comment

a route into europe

Comment

Which would be impossible, as they are reserve sides of a club in another country's league.

Comment

The bit on the last page about Cardiff Met was enlightening, as I hadn't twigged that UWIC were what became of Inter Cardiff, whose ultimate fate had been a mystery to me as I clearly wasn't paying enough attention whenever it was they were folded into the former. Inter themselves were the result of the merger of what I remember as a good Sully side and AFC(?) Cardiff in the early '90s, weren't they? I recall at the time it seemed like they were in a good position to become one of the dominant forces in Welsh domestic football, but they just never seemed to kick on for whatever reason.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Pretty sure they can't have reserve sides in the WPL as that invalidates the Uefa requirement to have a national league or something.

Also, why would Cardiff or Swansea want to do that?
                                              When the League of Wales was originally mooted this stud original plan iirc, to have the England based sides play their reserve teams in Wales in the hope that eventually they would leave England and join the League of Wales. This was when Wrexham were an established league side and other England based non league sides were in the conference or thereabouts.

Even when Newport and Merthyr went bust they chose the England route back rather than come into Wales. It's never going to happen with reserve sides, would never be allowed by any ruling body so I can't believe it's even being discussed.

The only real changes that seem to be happening are the pitches and the possibility of moving to summer football in an effort to rebrand and attract fans who would traditionally watch clubs in England.

Kowalski has an excellent blog and sends out stone great pieces, some are perfect rants others have excellent photos. Sign up for that for a Kowalskian perspective.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised that Kowalski hasn't shown even a glimmer of enthusiasm for Llandudno's promotion to the WPL - I'd have thought the Jet Set would have been looking forward to a couple of 'away' trips to their home town?

Comment

Electro Velvet Android wrote: The bit on the last page about Cardiff Met was enlightening, as I hadn't twigged that UWIC were what became of Inter Cardiff, whose ultimate fate had been a mystery to me as I clearly wasn't paying enough attention whenever it was they were folded into the former. Inter themselves were the result of the merger of what I remember as a good Sully side and AFC(?) Cardiff in the early '90s, weren't they? I recall at the time it seemed like they were in a good position to become one of the dominant forces in Welsh domestic football, but they just never seemed to kick on for whatever reason.
                                                  Their "chequered history" in full.

Comment

Cheers Harry — quite shocked to see the timescale, has it really been 15 years since Inter Cardiff disappeared? It felt like they were 'Inter Cable-Tel' for a lot longer and more recently than just the three years in the late-'90s the record seems to state, as well. Probably just the horror of the branded name made it feel like more than that. Hadn't realised they (well, part of them) had only been AFC Cardiff for a handful of years when they merged with Sully, as I only began following the sport in the late '80s. Interesting to discover that after descending to an all-time low of the fourth tier Cardiff Met's return to the 'big time' is on the back of three straight title wins.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X