No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Wales last Friday afternoon and on the way home I went to Croesyceiliog vs Caerau Ely in the Welsh Division Two. (I clearly opted for the wrong choice considering what happened in the Welsh League Cup not that many miles away!)

The home side were top of the division and their visitors were in 3rd. It was a very physical game (certainly more physical than games in the English pyramid I normally watch) with the away side winning 2-1. It was a bigger than expected crowd (Friday nights are excellent for getting bodies through the turnstiles) and this was further evidenced by the tea bar running out of milk. Though the remaining half pint of milk was watered down to make it go further...

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
      Hopefully the final will be somewhere local. I travelled to Aberysthwyth for the last year. It was a good day out. Carmarthen or Llanelli would make it a good excuse for a day trip.
      Neutral venue in the South? Got to be Jenner Park, I reckon.

Comment

I'm psychic

https://twitter.com/YClwbPelDroed/status/1068165544891871235?s=19
        https://twitter.com/YClwbPelDroed/st...891871235?s=19

Although calling Jenner Park "prestigious" is like when Princess Fiona called Donkey a "noble steed"

Comment

Good win for Barry tonight, 4-1 over Newtown. TNS drew with the Met so Barry are 2 points clear of them now and 1 point behind the Quay.

Comment

Not many shocks in the Welsh Cup 3rd Round. Llangefni became the first Anglesey club in the 4th round for ages, and beat WPL bottom club Llanelli to get there. Rhyl also caused an upset, putting out Newtown. (Although I still think of Rhyl as one of the bigger clubs so this is like Leeds doing one of the Premier League also-rans.)

The live game on Sgorio lasted two minutes before the floodlights failed. The match had already produced a goal, though.

I saw Barry beat Penybont. I didn't know, until I read the programme, that Penybont was formed a couple of years ago when Bridgend Town and Bryntirion Athletic merged to form a Bridgend superclub with the aim of getting into the Welsh Premier League. They've got a way to go based on Friday night's performance but they held their own over 90 minutes and took Barry to extra time.

At the moment it looks like Llanelli and Carmarthen could get relegated this year, further skewing the WPL towards the North next season. At the moment the league is almost balanced: 4 from the south, 2 from the middle, 5 from the north and TNS from England (should probably count as the 6th northern club). But next year it could be 3 from the south and 6+TNS from the north.
            Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-12-2018, 15:22.

Comment

I went back and checked and I had seen Bryntirion Athletic before so I'm going to add them to my list of vanished Welsh clubs I saw play.

Inter Cardiff
              Neath FC
              Grange Harlequins
              Bryntirion Athletic

Comment

I've just watched the Welsh Cup highlights and there are TNS diving for penalties in the Cwmbran Thunderdome.

I fucking hate them.

Comment

Most WPL games were played last night. Barry won away at Carmarthen. TNS only drew at Bala. So Barry are now one point behind the leaders, Connahs Quay, but are 4 points ahead of TNS now.

Carmarthen are a few points higher above the drop zone than I realised, with the two Llans in the bottom - Llanelli and Llandudno - looking in real trouble.

Comment

Barry kicked off early yesterday as their floodlights caught fire late on Saturday (!) so they couldn't use them yesterday. They beat Cardiff Met 2-1 and went top of the table before the other games kicked off. Connahs Quay nomads then lost at Bala meaning Barry will stay top at least until the New Years Eve games. TNS are four points behind Barry. They thumped Cefn Druids 7-0 yesterday. But you only get three points no matter how many goals you score.

Comment

Just noticed that 7-in-a-row champions TNS are a few points off the top, refreshingly. Are they likely to just storm back in the second half of the season PT, or have they slipped back into the pack?

Comment

They're a very good team but there are other good teams in the WPL and everyone really wants to beat them. They are desperately unlovable.

They could easily come back and win it by a massive margin if Barry or the Quay both lose a few in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          They're a very good team but there are other good teams in the WPL and everyone really wants to beat them. They are desperately unlovable.

They could easily come back and win it by a massive margin if Barry or the Quay both lose a few in a row.
                          They made Barry look pretty ordinary I thought. Hopefully Barry were just having an off day.

Comment

Yes they did. They were much better defensively than other teams and closed down the flanks. They were also very comfortable on the ball and retained possession.

Comment

Phase 1 has come to an end. Barry are top after Connahs Quay fell over and lost to Carmarthen.

10 more games to go.

Comment

So the news is that in 2019-20 the third cup competition, the MG Cup, is going to be expanded to include all the Tier 2 sides in the new Northern and Southern divisions plus a couple of bonus teams to make 48. The first couple of weekends in August 2019 will be given over to the first rounds of the new cup.

The 'prize' for the winners will be a place in the Scottish FA's Irn Bru Cup in the 2020-21 season. Currently the top two sides in the league get to go and play in the Irn Bru Cup, so this is a bit of a departure. And I'm not aware of any domestic cup winners earning a place in another FA'S cup as a result of their success.

I don't mind this as it gives other teams a chance. If it had been in place this season then Cardiff Met would be in the Irn Bru Cup next year even though the highest league place they can finish is 7th.

Comment

Yesterday was the first time that I have travelled to Bangor on a matchday and not gone to the match. It's very weird seeing people you know on the telly.

Comment

Fourth round draw for the Welsh Cup.
                                    https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/1089971744042090497?s=19

Barry get the only non-WPL side left in the competition but Cambrian & Clydach got to the MG Cup final beating Barry in the first round and the Ffranchise later on.
                                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 30-01-2019, 18:18.

Comment

According to Twitter there's some shenanigans going on at Bangor City. Academy training cancelled and blokes removing equipment in a van.

Comment

Twitter thread about Bangor City

https://twitter.com/marcwebber/statu...581841921?s=19

Comment

To channel Commandant Lassard, I could say many many many many many many things on this matter but I shall wait until this ends before unburdening myself.

Comment

Put it this way, it's like Brexit.

It's chipped away at my interest, dulled my happiness, cooled my ardour, depressed my joie de vivre, dessicated my enjoyment and twitter constantly reminds me that I feel the way I do, coincidentally this process also started at the time of the EU referendum.

When the people on the internet tell me to "get behind the lads, the shirt, the badge" they are appealing to a desire that's evaporated, all they do is bring Wingco's Liverpool fan to my mind,

I'll get behind the team lads, 30 miles behind them. It'll be a cold day in Rhyl before I "go again" I can tell you.
                                            Last edited by Kowalski; 30-01-2019, 20:45.

Comment

Barry have sold Macauley Southsm-Hayles to Fleetwood. He might come back on loan, but also the Welsh Cup game 2 weekends ago might have been his last game at Jenner Park.

I feel a bit sad to see him leave. It's a great opportunity for him to go to a League One club so I'm happy for him. And Barry need the money. But still...

Comment

Does anyone on here follow Ammanford? They seem to be investing in their facilties and there's a bloke on twitter giving them a very visible social media presence. Should we expect them to be at the forefront of Welsh football soon? By that I mean doing something like Cambrain and Clydach Vale BGC, not winning the WPL.

Comment

I saw them last season play STM Sports in Welsh League Division 2. STM were top at that point and dispatched them quite easily 4-1. (admittedly after getting a dodgy penalty to go 2-1 up) I was surprised that come the end of the season Ammanford went up and STM didn't, but then I know STM dropped away precipitously after March.

Comment

Connah's Quay just got through to the final of the Irn Bru Cup. They beat Edinburgh City on penalties. I've been watching on S4C while catching up with some work.
                                                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 17-02-2019, 11:27.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X