Paul Tomkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Tomkins

He seems to have achieved what I assume would be the dream of lots of people here- charging people to read his writing about his favourite football club.

I enjoy his free stuff, but I'm not exactly an expert on Liverpool FC. If he says "X played well", I don't know any different. And stylistically, it wouldn't really stand out from people posting their thoughts here, without any intention it be charged for.

He seems to have done some work on adjusting old transfer fees to their current equivalents, which I like to read, but again, I can't tell if it's any good.

What's his secret?

Paul Tomkins

http://tomkinstimes.com/about/

I'd never heard of him. Now I have I wish I hadn't.

Comment

Paul Tomkins

He's alive and getting paid as well.

Comment

Paul Tomkins

Is he the guy who keeps coming up with alternative league tables that use slightly unusual metrics and invariably show Liverpool in first place?

As in "If all the games this season had ended after 45 minutes instead of 90, Liverpool would be top", or "If you disregarded all results that feature more than one player scoring for each side, Liverpool would be top"?

Comment

Paul Tomkins

That stuff might be behind his paywall, to be fair.

His main alternative league table is based on transfer fees and tends to show Liverpool aren't all that big a club. I find him quite persuasive on that, but he does go on a bit.

If nothing else, he's changed my view that a £25m doesn't buy the finished article these days.

Comment

Working...
          X