Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help Belize! How Do You Make A Kickstarter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2015/06/15/belize-national-team-funds-3rd-2018-concacaf-world-cup-qualifiers/

With all that CONCACAF cash in Warner and Chuck's pockets the Football Federation Of Belize has announced that it has no funds to bankroll the Mighty Jaguars World cup campaign past last week's dominant - and apparently very unexpected - victory over La Republica Dominicana.

To come through two knockout rounds already and be one two-leg round away from the first pool round and potential match-ups with the US or Mexico and then be denied the right to lift our small country through their play will be devastating for the players and fans in this small, poor but very very proud nation.

So... serious questions.

How does one go about setting up a kickstarter or similar volunteer funding apparatus?

How likely do you think it is that the Jaguars plight would actually raise enough interest to make it worthwhile?

Would you be willing to help get word out for a time-limited funding campaign?

I know there are severe moral issues involved with asking people to contribute to a broken, corrupt, cash-rich system at a confederation level, but none of that is going to help a small, proud nation test itself against it's neighbours and give us the chance we've earned to defend our nation's honour and ultimately to storm the gates of Moscow.

Hopefully any money raised will never be needed - so I'd need to know any mechanisms for returning unused donations - if the Government of Belize, CONCACAF and FIFA can be shamed into heading any enforced forfiture off at the pass. But I like the idea of having a global interest evident to the powers that be that will show our small country and plucky team of dedicated amateurs are worthy of the same chance as any other nation in the federation.

So, yeah. GO JAGS! and any practical advice about running an online fundraiser will be gratefully received.

Cheers. #GlobalJaguarArmy

TheFourMarys wrote: http://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2015/06/15/belize-national-team-funds-3rd-2018-concacaf-world-cup-qualifiers/

With all that CONCACAF cash in Warner and Chuck's pockets the Football Federation Of Belize has announced that it has no funds to bankroll the Mighty Jaguars World cup campaign past last week's dominant - and apparently very unexpected - victory over La Republica Dominicana.

To come through two knockout rounds already and be one two-leg round away from the first pool round and potential match-ups with the US or Mexico and then be denied the right to lift our small country through their play will be devastating for the players and fans in this small, poor but very very proud nation.

So... serious questions.

How does one go about setting up a kickstarter or similar volunteer funding apparatus?

How likely do you think it is that the Jaguars plight would actually raise enough interest to make it worthwhile?

Would you be willing to help get word out for a time-limited funding campaign?

I know there are severe moral issues involved with asking people to contribute to a broken, corrupt, cash-rich system at a confederation level, but none of that is going to help a small, proud nation test itself against it's neighbours and give us the chance we've earned to defend our nation's honour and ultimately to storm the gates of Moscow.

Hopefully any money raised will never be needed - so I'd need to know any mechanisms for returning unused donations - if the Government of Belize, CONCACAF and FIFA can be shamed into heading any enforced forfiture off at the pass. But I like the idea of having a global interest evident to the powers that be that will show our small country and plucky team of dedicated amateurs are worthy of the same chance as any other nation in the federation.

So, yeah. GO JAGS! and any practical advice about running an online fundraiser will be gratefully received.

Cheers. #GlobalJaguarArmy
    A Kickstarter wouldn't be viable for a number of reasons. Basically because of restrictions on who can make a Kickstarter (residents of a handful of countries), as well on what Kickstarters can actually be used for (typically creative endeavours with a physical end result).

But an alternative, like Indiegogo may work better as they have provisions for campaigns that focus more on fund raising.

I believe Indiegogo has provisions for refunds for unused donations. And I guess it's all provisional on the FFB accepting any funds raised.

Comment

Whatever you do, avoid using terms like 'CONCACAF', 'FIFA' and any other words synonymous with corruption.

EDIT - has anyone gone round to see Bertie Chimilio ? He may be able to assist. And there's also the FIFA FAP payments.

Comment

Indiegogo looks as easy to use ad logical as the couple of times my friend has tried to teach me to play Go.

Thanks to John Godot and Hugh Fatbastard for the info. Looks like my original idea was extremely naive and unworkable. Can't imagine rest of the world would have given much of a shit anyway.

Government of Belize makes non-committal grunting noises that look as though they MAY find money to bankroll the third round. I'm guessing this funding comes with the not insignificant proviso that "YOU WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR THE FOURTH ROUND, UNDERSTOOD?"

Belize probably will get to play in the third round but it probably won't be at home. The FFB will probably be forced to move the 'home' games to a mid-size venue in one of the major US centres of the Belizean Diaspora - South Bronx, Southside Chicago, South Central LA or - most likely - Houston. The opposition in 3rd and potential 4th, pool, rounds) will decide whether this is a high school stadium or a big barn like Reliant (only if we play Mexico).

Whatever happens, the Jaguars fans in Belize are getting used to the fact that another World Cup campaign is probably going to see Home games played anywhere but.

FUCK CONCACAF. FUCK FIFA.

Comment

Why are you blaming FIFA and CONCACAF? Belize's GDP per capita is twice as big as Honduras', which somehow manages to field teams in the World Cup. By regional standards, Belize is not a poor country. The problem with Belize not being able to field a team lies with Belize.

Comment

I'm glad you know so much about Belize, Linus.

With global indictments against the rulers of CONCACAF and FIFA for basically stealing money that should have gone to individual federations for running costs and development, who could possibly be naive and or hateful enough to question such a fine, upstanding organisation?

But, hey... the GDP... so, I guess I don't know what to tell you. I guess the dumb fucks here don't know how to run a country and don't deserve to play in the World Cup.

The GDP has spoken. End of thread, I guess.

Comment

OK t4M, but how are the other small island nations left in the tournament getting by? St Vincent, Antigua, Grenada, Curaçao, Barbados...

Comment

If that doesn't work, please set up an Indiegogo for me to start a soccer school on the beach.

Comment

My apologies to Linus for my immature and rude response.

In answer to your question, I have no idea how the islands (most with smaller populations) are making their finances work. The FFB claims that the first two rounds so far have cost around one million dollars BZ (half a million US) and now the federation coffers are empty.

My local team, Belmopan Bandits are having their home cancha re-modelled at the moment - unfortunately with a 4G pitch replacing the perfectly good grass field - but the money for that project has not come from FIFA's GOAL fund but from the government of Taiwan.

I don't know the workings of the FFB or their relationship with the rest of CONCACAF. I should really withdraw my cussing of the two governing bodies because Belize is certainly a country that runs on political patronage and petty (but damagingly cumulative) corruption.

I don't know why there's no money left here compared to somewhere like St. Vincent & The Grenadines. I just know that the long-suffering football community of Belize might be about to get seriously shafted again.

JV - Belize played in the recent UNCAF (CentroAmericano federation) Beach Championship. I'm guessing the players had fun, given the 18-4 and 16-2 reverses we suffered.

I suggest you send your CV on spec to the FFB, Jason.

Comment

Had to drop the missus off at JFK, which is as brutal a drive as it gets.

With a massive crash on the Belt Parkway, I drove through Brooklyn. I was in a Carribbean part of BK, and they had commercials on 99.3 fm for what sounded like a cup played between the national teams of Grenada, St Vincent, and a few others. Times like that I would love to be in Brooklyn.

Comment

Working...
                    X