Bread Puns Here - Scottish Fitba 15/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yer man who bit the fella. His hair is worse than any bite. That fringe brought me out in hives.

Comment

Dean Lewtas wrote: Rare moral highground there. How's it feeling?
      I'm getting vertigo, I'm not expecting to stay up here for long though so enjoying the view while I can.

Comment

AMMS wrote: What level are they playing at jefe? He struggled to get into the Morton two seasons ago. He's one of those players that home fans love and the opposition hate. He makes up for a lack of ability by working harder than anyone else on the pitch, something that goes down well in Scotland. At 36 he'll do well to keep those levels of energy up though.
        Carolina's in the NASL aka second division, third in the overall table. Up til the past year, they had a sideline of knocking LA Galaxy out of our cup multiple times, as well.

Comment

So, Livingston are apparently in financial trouble again. Outgoing director Gordon McDougall had agreed a repayment plan of £2,000 a month for his £260,000 director loan. Unfortunately he hasn't received any payments for the last 6 months.

Still, at least the club have a plan:

In a statement to STV, the club's largest shareholder Gordon Ford said the club would be in peril if forced to repay the money in one go, but was still hopeful of an amicable situation.

"My view as a shareholder is I cannot see the club survive if he were to successfully recover the monies due to him in full," he said.

"There is no way the club can survive if we are subject to that legal action.

"The desired outcome is we all work together. We get a compromise the club can afford.

"It's just unfortunate we are unable to reach any formal agreement with Gordon McDougall."

Ford also said that he believed the answer to the club's current cash predicament is to invest in the playing squad.

"What we are trying to do is build a squad to bring success on the park which we believe will bring financial security off the park," he said. "That's in everybody's interests.

"What is crucial is success on the park. It brings its own rewards financially and would hopefully resolve a lot of the issues which face the club."
          Spending their way out of financial difficulties - a plan that has worked well for Livingston in the past. What could possibly go wrong here?

Comment

You have to wonder about the sanity of someone who lends any Scottish football club £260,000 far less Livingston. He then agrees to get it paid back over 12 years. You don't need to be the Brahan Seer to know that's not going end well.

I'm not sure how I feel about Livingston, this seems to be such a recurring theme for them they make us look well run.

Comment

Hmmmm...

- Frankenstein club created from the reanimated corpse of Meadowbank Thistle (a club that did not die a natural death)

- Spent far more than they earned, winning promotion and trophies at the expense of clubs who lived within their means

- Have been caught giving under-the-counter payments to playing staff and bending the rules on registering amateur players to breaking point

- On five separate occasions in their 20 year history, have either failed to pay their players or creditors (the latter too numerous to count).

The only debate at this point should be whether to napalm them or nuke them.

Comment

To be fair to Livingston, Meadowbank Thistle were a basket case of a club, an artifical creation solely for the puropose of filling Meadowbank stadium. They, afterall, were the ones who killed off Ferranti Thistle.

Comment

With the new season starting this weekend for some of us we're using the fine old tactic of try-to-buy-your-rivals-best-player. This for me is the first real sign that the old Rangers are back.

Having recently watched Celtic turn Dundee utd into their feeder club with some envy it's nice to see the return of Machiavellian tactics at Ibrox turned on other clubs instead of used for self harm and internal boardroom politics.

Whether Scott Allan does indeed join us or not it's fairly clear there is now internecine warfare in the Easter Road dressing room two days before we play them. Fantastic.

I don't mind admitting I've retained a healthy dose of scepticism about events in Govan recently but for the first time I'm starting to think we might actually have got our act together. We just might have finally stopped being a source of farcical comedy for everyone else and tragedy for ourselves and returned to being the biggest raptor in the sky coldly eyeing all the others and calculating who to eviscerate next.

I love the smell of destabilising opposition players in the morning, it smells like victory.

*Hibs will beat us 3-0 at the weekend now and we'll have two sent off, that's what happens when you get confident again.

Comment

Where is 'breath of fresh air' dalliance these days to tell us how wonderful Livingston and Gretna are?

Comment

Paul S wrote: To be fair to Livingston, Meadowbank Thistle were a basket case of a club, an artifical creation solely for the puropose of filling Meadowbank stadium. They, afterall, were the ones who killed off Ferranti Thistle.
                      That's nuts on so many levels

They were a reasonably successful works team like Civil Service Strollers who were promoted more as an easy 4 points (at the time) for the struggling Division 2 (at the time) clubs.

They did reasonably well on limited crowds and by their death had a small, but committed fanbase. Presumably these people haven't went to Livingston.

Comment

The Meadowbank Thistle fans didn't go anywhere (except possibly Edinburgh City). They never attempted to resurrect the club as there were so few supporters. Shame really as I liked the name Meadowbank Thistle. It sounded really wild and hilly.

Comment

There is a pretty significant ex-Meadowbank involvement with Edinburgh City, although there are a surprising number of fans who made the move to Livingston along with the directors and players. There are a couple of decent articles on the history of Ferranti, Meadowbank and Livingston here:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/6468-capital-gains

http://www.tellhimhespele.com/a-tale-of-two-thistles/

Both articles are far kinder to Livingston than I would be inclined to be. The move to Livingston rode roughshod over the desire of the majority of their fans, or at least it certainly seemed that way from what I can remember of the Mr Blobby protests.

Comment

The time and effort put in here is astonishing

Comment

You mock but there are still some corner shops that don't sell that brand, he might have to go to two or three before finally getting a loaf.

Anyway, terrible defending and some great attacking, is this really Rangers? I'll take 6-2 against Hibs anytime, although Hibs could have had at least a couple before we scored. Needless to say some of our more excitable support have us winning every trophy available this season already. It's an encouraging start and we played some nice stuff but it's still only July.

Comment

You'll really enjoy the Breadman's football this season.

Playing it out from the back, no lumping long balls into the box, no sitting on a lead and defending it.

His favourite quote last season was 'Plan B is to do Plan A better'. (Actually, the lack of a Plan B may have cost us promotion but you can't fault his commitment to good football).

Is he still leaving three men up when defending corners?

Comment

AMMS wrote: You mock but there are still some corner shops that don't sell that brand, he might have to go to two or three before finally getting a loaf.
                                  It's a good job they didn't have the Super Toastie, with doorstep sized slices, as the packet's green.

I crave public attention so when I go to watch Celtic on Wednesday I will take a Super Toastie packet with me from north Wales. When you see me on BT Sport you will notice that I will have written the word NOT above Warburton's.

The ex-milkman that lives across the road from us once told me that on cold mornings he warmed his feet by wearing bread packets under his socks.

Comment

Warbie's is Tory bread. Morrison's own brand is better, and cheaper. 54p a loaf.

Comment

There's a co-op across the road from Glasgow Central, I may go there.

Comment

Dean Lewtas wrote: Warbie's is Tory bread. Morrison's own brand is better, and cheaper. 54p a loaf.
                                        To us you're all Tories.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: There's a co-op across the road from Glasgow Central, I may go there.
                                          Listen, the dictionary definition of a Celtic fan is obsessing about Rangers even when you're playing someone else, so you'll fit right in.

Comment

Dean Lewtas wrote: Warbie's is Tory bread.
                                            Is it fuck. They have a factory (sorry, "bakery") in Stockton so are our bread of choice to support the local economy*. The sandwich thins are class toasted with Nutella.

* (although for some reason I am presently eating some Kingsmill Great White guaranteed with "no bits". You British people are so funny.)

Comment

cantagalo wrote: You'll really enjoy the Breadman's football this season.

Playing it out from the back, no lumping long balls into the box, no sitting on a lead and defending it.

His favourite quote last season was 'Plan B is to do Plan A better'. (Actually, the lack of a Plan B may have cost us promotion but you can't fault his commitment to good football).

Is he still leaving three men up when defending corners?
                                              Even after losing to Burnley in midweek he was being lauded by most of the support for the type of football we were trying to play. We've been starved of anything resembling entertainment for so long that there is a danger the support will forget about boycotts and anger at the world in general and actually start enjoying football again. Certainly not since the Advocaat days have I seen as attacking a line-up as we fielded yesterday. Despite everything that happens any manager who can get a side playing decent watchable football can galvanise even the most disaffected and splintered support. Warburton seems to have managed that in only one competitive game which is some going.

Comment

Erstwhile Hearts manager Anatoliy Korobochka on the lead up to their 2007 friendly against Barcelona.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Dean Lewtas
                                                  Warbie's is Tory bread.
                                                  Is it fuck. They have a factory (sorry, "bakery") in Stockton so are our bread of choice to support the local economy*. The sandwich thins are class toasted with Nutella.

* (although for some reason I am presently eating some Kingsmill Great White guaranteed with "no bits". You British people are so funny.)
                                                  http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/boycott-warburtons-tory-donations.html

Enjoy your mouthfuls of nutella and toasted DEAD CHILDREN AND OLD PEOPLE.

Comment

AMMS wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Kowalski
                                                    There's a co-op across the road from Glasgow Central, I may go there.
                                                    Listen, the dictionary definition of a Celtic fan is obsessing about Rangers even when you're playing someone else, so you'll fit right in.
                                                    There's something in this. It's why I nearly bought a Celtic jersey from Toffs the other night.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X