No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff, FF. If I had a view like that, I suspect I'd spend hours and hours just staring out at it - in fact, when I've been lucky enough to have a hotel room with a spectacular view, I've found myself happy to stay in and do just that.

Comment

Thanks, AE and TRL! The view never gets old.

Comment

Have some posts disappeared from yesterday? Just catching up but I can't see FF's picture (all I can see is the 2012 shot) and the 'conversation' appears choppy and full of non-sequiturs.

I appreciate that the latter factor may just be OTF, but should I be able to see the photo...?

Comment

FF’s daytime shot is 884 and her evening one is 899

I can see each of them

Comment

Everything is there for me too.

Comment

Trying to find beauty in the everyday...

Comment

Nice, Furtho! Moody and well composed.

Comment

Very nice indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Sublime.

I took a few pics yesterday pm (with my basic smartphone) trying to capture the autumnal mood but I dare not post them here, they'd look ridiculously amateurish compared to yours.

Very wise motto Furtho, very wise.

I think that trying to find satisfaction in the little, simple pleasures of life and beauty in the mundane is key, it's what keeps you sane, especially in later life once you've achieved more or less what you set about to when you were in your 20s or 30s.

There’s a great little best-selling book (115 pages) called "The Small Pleasures of Life" by French writer Philippe Delerm (La Première gorgée de bière et autres plaisirs minuscules) that urges us to find contentment in life’s little pleasures. I find its core message uplifting, we take so much for granted in the West that it’s vital to be occasionally reminded that happiness often lies in the simplest of things. It sounds a bit trite and probably very middle class-ish but I don't know, it seems to work for me.

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 26-10-2018, 21:52.

Comment

Thanks for the very kind comments.

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post
                      I took a few pics yesterday pm (with my basic smartphone)
                      Well, for what it’s worth, this was taken with and edited on a pretty no-frills smartphone.

Comment

Lovely pic Furtho and a great post PF - I like the premise of that book. We spent a couple of hours in the garden this morning, doing this and that. Good for the soul when you actually think about it.

IMPORTANT: PF there is no quality benchmark here - the original point of the thread is that anything, and everything goes. The fact some of our posters are ridiculously talented doesn't preclude anything. Have you seen some of the garbage I've put up? Post, post and post again.

Comment

L1080846 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1080679 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1080835 by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

L1080735 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090120 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090100 by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

Some fantastic stuff posted in here.

Comment

L1090144 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090134 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090148 by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

Hi Rufus - I see you came on to illustrate my point about some posters being ridiculously talented; great stuff. . Incidentally if you wanted to merge your HeatwavingNotDrowning posts with Rufus Fuch, talk nicely to Snake Plissken.

Comment

L1090116 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090221 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090220 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1090216 by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks Sits much appreciated.

Comment

L1090002 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1080994 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1080989 by Stevie, on Flickr

L1080988 by Stevie, on Flickr

the parting by Stevie, on Flickr

apologies for volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Hi Rufus - I see you came on to illustrate my point about some posters being ridiculously talented; great stuff. . Incidentally if you wanted to merge your HeatwavingNotDrowning posts with Rufus Fuch, talk nicely to Snake Plissken.
                                          Maybe he could merge ALL his identities, including the vile, misogynistic ones from when he was stalking me, eh Stevie?

Still, glad to see you’ve got over that nonsense.

Comment

I still have screenshots from here and from the Vicious Riffs forum, so don’t even bother denying it or trying the “Uriah Heep” approach.

I know it’s a mental health issue, doesn’t excuse it any.
                                            Last edited by MsD; 28-10-2018, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              IMPORTANT: PF there is no quality benchmark here - the original point of the thread is that anything, and everything goes. The fact some of our posters are ridiculously talented doesn't preclude anything. Have you seen some of the garbage I've put up? Post, post and post again.
                                              You're right of course except for "your garbage", your photos are pretty neat I think. My crappy little Fuji that I had in the 1980s-90s and kept for something like 15 yrs and was dropped on the floor, in sand etc. many times took better and sharper pics than my mid-range Samsung smartphone (bought a £400 SLR after teh £45 Fuji but too many functions, never really got the hang of it).

Heavy snow in & around Consett yesterday near Newcastle/Durham, beautiful pictures here:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ounty-15336925

Now, my pics, slightly less impressive…

(Hexham on Thurday afternoon, went walking there with my dog after work, lovely autumnal day and great views from the Roman/Military road (B6318) above the valley. Lovely dog-friendly pub in Warden too. The sun was only fitfully out (in a more "fit" than "fully" way) hence the lacklustre photos but mostly because I’m a shit photographer. Dog needed a bit of TLC after a swim in a nearby reservoir and in streams. Just me and the dog, bliss)

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 28-10-2018, 11:50.

Comment

I like the framing on that first photo, PF. Nice photos!

PS Cute dog

Comment

Thank you FF, that's the first compliment I get on here for my photos, I've just opened a bottle of British bubbly to celebrate.

Oh yeah, my girl is a real cutie. Very naughty though, stole another dog’s ball today on the beach and ran with it in the sea (quite rough today as you can see on the photo I took but she loves swimming) and of course lost the bloody ball… Thankfully I always carry a few cheap tennis balls with me (rejects, 30p from Sports Direct) and I go to beaches a lot so I've perfected my beach etiquette skills, so I apologised to the owner and gave him one of these rejects as compensation, he looked pretty nonplussed but didn’t say anything apart from "thank you". I saw him afterwards looking for his ball by the edge of the water maybe hoping than the incoming tide would bring his ball back onto the shore so I don’t know, maybe his ball was one of those expensive Chuckit orange things (very tough and bouncy, the real McCoy - they're to dog owners who care about their balls what Ladurée'Hermé is to posh macaronistas), they’re very popular and well, they’re £5 or £6 a pop (double that 2 yrs ago, they’ve come down in price since, cheap foreign imitations), he may well have felt short-changed…

Comment

That looks like a dog's paradise.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X