Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julian Cope's let himself go.

Comment

Can't believe we let that gigantic fungus pass uncommented! Excellent stuff Sits - did you check if it's edible?

Meanwhile some nice scenery from a mundane walk in Formby pine woods over the festive season.

Red squirrels everywhere at this time of year, coming close enough to contemplate whether Mrs Trlb's glove might be hiding peanuts.

The pines thin out as you head seawards

Then it's just dunes down to the rapidly eroding coast - first looking north towards Southport, and then south back towards the Mersey.

Comment

Today's ice on the Hudson

DSC_0001_1 by brentitude, on Flickr

And from the other direction:
        DSC_0005_1 by brentitude, on Flickr

Comment

These are all beautiful.

Comment

And from the other side, a bit later in the day

Comment

*sings* I've looked at ice, from both sides now.

Comment

I just spent 5 minutes working that into a lyric. I should go to bed.

Comment

Haha! Night night! x

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    *sings* I've looked at ice, from both sides now.

Very good. As are all those photos peeps.

And TrL, no I didn't. We've got mushrooms coming up all over the lawn at present, and similarly I would absolutely never risk it, even if I had the book.

Comment

Loving the ice floes - only ever seen that in Budapest, and in 1981 when it was cold and calm enough in West Cumbria for the sea to freeze as it came in over the icy sand. With hindsight, possibly not the wisest night to be out on the shore at 4am setting baited lines for cod, but when you're 16 you think you're immune to weather.

Comment

Tons of fog on the water today, as the air temperature rose over 15C

FF and I asked this kid named Lloyd to take a photo. I think he’s got a future.

https://twitter.com/lloydblankfein/status/951897560637198337

Comment

Good ol' Lloyd.

It's been downright nasty today. Fortunately, I am not one of the 40K north Jersey residents without power.

Comment

Self portrait:

Comment

With the Crumb “Heroes of the Blues” trading card set, no less

Comment

Indeed so.

Comment

https://ibb.co/ikQ0Hy

https://ibb.co/iaO9AJ

https://ibb.co/n2NfHy

Obviously not a photographer, and have even lost the ability to paste images on this damn phone it would seem, but these are Howth Head, and for a prosaic day trip spot from Dublin I had a quasi religious experience out on the paths today. Not really, but it was a fine day with some great views, and loads of friendly dogs saying hi.

Comment

Everybody's a photographer, it's the beauty of the medium — totally democratic. It's just that, over time, some people make a few more interesting images than others.

Comment

Yeah but i realized today I don’t even know the basics, like where to shoot in relation to the sun

Comment

They're great Spoony, looks like a lovely serene spot. The first one especially is really atmospheric.

And nice one Amor - if I may say, a fine barnet for a man of your vintage.

Comment

Depends totally on the angle (photography can do that for you)

Comment

We've been in the UK visiting our daughter and the old "Mums" and scattering my brother's ashes; now having a few days vegging out in Mauritius on the way back to Oz. As you do.

We've become fixated by the swimming pool in our resort which has very slight echoes of the Penguin Pool at Regent's Park Zoo. I've now banned myself from attempting any more angles. Even though these are fundamentally the same one:

Cropping allowance used heavily.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Very, very nice. You da foto man!

Comment

Thanks but that's too flattering. The only skill is the cropping, which arguably is cheating anyway. The pre-cropped photos have all sorts of periphery: bits of foot, sun lounger, palm tree, terrace etc. they're taken with an intention to trim, and the reject pile is substantial.

Plus of course being on hols I have the luxury of time.

Comment

Some would say that unless you believe adjusting for focus and exposure is cheating neither is cropping. Everyone has their own photo-purist criteria, mine begins at the point of photo-montage for example, but there's nowt wrong with that either, for me it's just something different from the image-in-the-moment. Almost all photos are cropped, it doesn't degrade their power, in fact it usually enhances it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X