• Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup qualification: Asia

Jah Womble wrote:
    UAE 10-0 Malaysia
    Qatar 15-0 Bhutan
    South Korea 8-0 Laos
    Blimey - I thought double-figure scores had gone the way of all flesh after the farce of Oceania 2002...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(OFC)
    I think AFC could borrow an idea from CONCACAF and include more early knockout rounds. Asia just has one while CONCACAF has three, and only six teams qualify from that for the first group stage and meet the top six ranked sides. Asia gives 34 byes from the knockout to the first group stage! Also, the knockout rounds are exciting to watch too, as so much is at stake and the teams are relatively evenly matched.

Comment

Interesting article abut the upcoming Palestine - Saudi Arabia fixture and the problems it faces http://972mag.com/why-wont-saudi-arabia-travel-to-palestine-for-a-soccer-match/112162/

Comment

A new day in Asian qualification, and it seems that in nearly all groups 1st plays 2nd (or 2nd plays 1st)
        There will be KSA vs UAE in group A, Jordan v Australia in B, Qatar China in C, Oman Iran in D, Syria Japan in E, Kuwait S. Korea in G, N Korea Philippines in H (technically that last one is 1 vs 3, but the Philippines are only not 2nd on goal difference, so I'm counting it). The only group bucking the trend is F, but that's the odd one out anyway, because of Indonesia being kicked out.

Of the games that have so far kicked off, (once brutally repressed and now independent) East Timor vs (still brutally repressed and should be independent) Palestine is 0-0 at half time which will be a disappointment to the palestininans, but since they're homeland is on the brink of yet another war (or one sided slaughter) they may not feel football is their highest priority right now.

N. Korea - Philippines is also goalless after kicking off half an hour later

Comment

0-0 at half time in the Kim Il Sung stadium, Pyongyang. In the meantime in free Dili, free East Timor are 1-0 up over not free Palestine.

Comment

A late equaliser from Palestine, but the resultant draw is bad news all round really. means that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have the group pretty much all sewn up, which is a shame on so many levels.

Comment

0-0 final in Pyongyang. A great resut from the Philippines, one of the surprise packages of this qualification round. First points dropped by the DPRK so far, and at home too. The Bahrain-Uzbekistan game later on today takes on a lot more importance as a result

(Plus of course, that fixture has something of a history following that bizarre ref error/replayed game thing from 10 years ago)

Comment

There are no more games until 3pm my time, by the way, by which time I will be on school pick up and subsequent activity duty, so that's almost certainly your lot from me on this thread today. A void in your lives that I'm afraid you're just going to have to cope with as best you can.

Comment

Ooh lucky you, I'm still around. Big last minute (97th minute in fact) equaliser for Iraq in Vietnam which make a huge difference in that group. Mad last few minutes in Bhutan as they come back from 4-0 down after 85 minutes to nearly draw at 3-4. Lebanon win away against Myanmar (in thailand) and Singapore beat Afghanistan. Now I must go

Comment

Looking at the Philippines line-up (and coach) would I be right in assuming that there are a lot of US children of servicemen in that team?

Comment

More scores: Jordan have beaten Australia 2-0, which puts them top of the group. Those 2 look certain to qualify though, with the Stans of the Kyrgyz and Tajik varieties having drawn 2-2.

Japan have won 3-0 away to Syria (no idea where that was played, but I'm guessing not Syria), and in the big game in group D, Oman drew 1-1 at home to Iran, which I'm guessing is a result they'll be fairly happy with. Elsewhere in that group Turkmenistan beat India 2-1

In ongoing games S Korea are winning 1-0 in Kuwait wth 5 minutes left, Uzbekistan are 3-0 up in Bahrain, and will be hoping that there are no cock ups which will deny them the win, and Qatar are beating China 1-0 at home. A score which if it stands will amusingly leave china behind Hong Kong at the half way stage of the group.

Comment

Uzbekistan won 4-0, and S Korea won 1-0. Qatar still 1-0 up with 15 minutes left and KSAUAE has just kicked off

Comment

Etienne wrote: Looking at the Philippines line-up (and coach) would I be right in assuming that there are a lot of US children of servicemen in that team?
                          I haven't checked if he played today but the regular goalie Neil Etheridge is London-born of Filipino heritage, and plays for Walsall. He was in Fulham's youth academy and played against us in a pre-season friendly once or twice.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: More scores: Jordan have beaten Australia 2-0, which puts them top of the group. Those 2 look certain to qualify though, with the Stans of the Kyrgyz and Tajik varieties having drawn 2-2.
                            Only the best four runners up go through, but with it being a weak group I'd be surprised if the losing country wasn't among the top four. Still, Australia going out would be hilarious.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Looking at the Philippines line-up (and coach) would I be right in assuming that there are a lot of US children of servicemen in that team?
                              I think quite a few of them have British or European fathers. Iain Ramsay was capped for the Philippines after failing to be selected for Australia. He had a spell at Gretna in Scotland, then played several years in the A League with Adelaide United and Melbourne Heart.

Comment

The real problem for Australia is that for security reasons they may not travel to Dacca to play Bangladesh, and thus forfeit the match.

Comment

Another full day of matches today. North Korea have beaten Yemen 1-0 which seems a tighter scoreline than one would have imagined, and Malaysia have won 1-0 in East Timor.
                                  Not many huge fixtures on today, but possibly look out for Vietnam vs Thailand, Bahrain vs Philippines, and Kuwait vs Lebanon.
                                  As predicted in the article posted on the previous page Palestine vs Saudi Arabia has been postponed, but I don;t know what the future of that match is. Also on today for a fixture that on paper sounds truly depressing (more so even than N Korea-Yemen) it is Syria vs Afghanistan

Comment

Ah, so basically FIFA have decided that they don;t know what to do.
                                    The main topic of the meeting was the venue of the return leg match of the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ qualifier between Palestine and Saudi Arabia, scheduled for 13 October 2015. It was decided to postpone the match until the ongoing process has been concluded.
                                    What process?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2015/m=10/news=fifa-statement-on-the-palestine-saudi-arabia-2018-fifa-world-cuptm-qua-2709729.html

Comment

What's the security ish in Bangladesh?

Comment

I don't think there is much of one. It's turbulent and there have been some occasonal violent acts, but none directed at foreigners. Not sure (a)why the Aussie cricket team is not there now as they're supposed to be and (b) why the footballers seem like they want to follow suit

Comment

A bit of googling suggests that ISIS have claimed responsibility for two seperate murders of an Italian and Japanese recently. Also a few people have been arrested for IS recruiting.

I do suspect if it wasn't for the presence of the ISIS 'brand' here, things wouldn't be considered bad enough to place sporting fixtures in doubt, but who knows.

Comment

Some half time scores:
                                            Bhutan 0 Hong Kong 0
                                            Myanmar 2 Laos 1
                                            Singapore 1 Cambodia 0
                                            Vietnam 0 Thailand 1

Comment

Bhutan lose 1-0 to a Honkers goal in the 89th minute- a big improvement from them.

Comment

UAE player jailed for criticising the coach.

Note, that is not "dropped" but jailed. JAILED.
                                                http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/19/uae-footballer-jailed-three-months-criticising-national-manager?CMP=share_btn_tw

Comment

ad hoc wrote: Mad last few minutes in Bhutan as they come back from 4-0 down after 85 minutes to nearly draw at 3-4.
                                                  Deadspin has an excellent article about that game from an expat who was at it.

Comment

A new round of games today. Australia are leading Kyrgyzstan 2-0 after 65 minutes. Most of the games don;t look terribly knife-edged or important for qualification, with the exception of Uzbekistan vs North Korea later this afternoon (kicks off at 3pm my time, which would be 1pm OTF board clock time).

I'm too busy to keep you all updated, but you know how to use the internet, so I'll leave it in your capable hands

Comment

Working...
                                                    X