World Cup qualification: Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guam 1-0 up on India at half time. (Guam are ranked higher than India, mind you, so while that might look like a shock, it really isn't much of one)

Comment

Guam win 2-1, and will top the group outright tonight. Pretty impressive stuff.

Two more games have now kicked off - North Korea vs Uzbekistan in Pyongyang and East Timor vs the UAE (that game is taking place in Malaysia. Not sure why, perhaps E Timor don't have a suitable stadium?)

Comment

Great stuff ad hoc.

Betfair video has East Timor v UAE on and will have Cambodia v Afghanistan later.

Comment

North Korea are absolutely battering Uzbekistan 4-0 at half time. Meanwhile UAE are being surprisingly held 0-0 by East Timor at the same stage

Comment

The UAE win with a late-ish goal from Omar Abdurrahman, my favourite player at this year's Asia Cup.

North Korea wind up winning 4-2. There were no updates anywhere that I could find during that game, just a half time score and a full time one. Somehow that strikes me as a bit dodgy

Comment

Next up Japan vs Singapore, kicking off in 26 minutes

Comment

Japan held to an eyepopping 0-0 draw.

Comment

God, imagine Guam actually qualified for the World Cup. I realise they won't, and if they did, it would probably turn out like that time when Tahiti leaked double figures against Spain in the Confederations Cup. But still, what a story it would be.

Comment

A comment on Twitter: "Boos from crowd of 57,533 at Saitama Stadium unlike anything ever heard in Japan national team history."

Comment

Other results:
                      Bangladesh 1 Tajikistan 1
                      Cambodia 0 Afghanistan 1
                      Bhutan 0 China 6
                      Taipei 0 Thailand 2
                      Hong Kong 2 Maldives 0
                      Laos 0 Lebanon 2
                      Myanmar 0 South Korea 2
                      Malaysia 0 Palestine 6

With 5 minutes left it's Turkmenistan 1 Iran 1 (nearly as surprising as the Japan score if it stays that way), and approaching half time it's Kyrgyzstan 0 Australia 1 (and Australia's goal was in the 2nd minute so that looked like being a blow out early on)

Comment

And indeed Turkmenistan did hold on for a draw with Iran. Merely days after losing to Guam.

Comment

Final score: Kyrgyzstan 1 Australia 2

The Dolen Omurzakov Stadium in Bishkek was packed to the rafters, with people climbing the light towers to watch. Mirzaliev scored a controversial goal for the Kyrgyzs in the 92nd minute and the place went absolutely ballistic.

Comment

Just to wrap this thread up until the 3rd September when it will return (the tournament, not necessarily the thread as I will probably be on holiday then), the one remaining scoreline not given was Yemen 0 Philippines 2 (I presume in Qatar again, though I've not checked). Another excellent result for Dooley's Street Dogs.

Comment

Qatar 14-0 Bhutan. Eeek!

Comment

Saudi taking the mickey out of Timor Leste ... 5-0 after 32 minutes

Comment

UAE 10-0 Malaysia
                                  Qatar 15-0 Bhutan
                                  South Korea 8-0 Laos

and Kuwait are 6-0 up against Myanmar after 62 mins

Comment

Seriously, how shit do you have to be to get gubbed 15-0 off Qatar? I swear I could get the lads I play 5 a sides with and put up a better show than that.

Comment

UAE 10-0 Malaysia
                                      Qatar 15-0 Bhutan
                                      South Korea 8-0 Laos
                                      Blimey - I thought double-figure scores had gone the way of all flesh after the farce of Oceania 2002...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(OFC)

Comment

Micronesia sent a team to this years Pacific games, and lost 30-0, 38-0 and 46-0 to Tahiti, Fiji and Vanuatu.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33400707

Still sore that my 'Microneasden' gag at the time didn't get any love.

Comment

The Socceroos came to Perth for the first time in a decade as they strolled to a 5-0 win over the mighty Bangladesh. 4-0 up at half-time, those us in the Shed area behind the goal were expecting a 2nd half avalanche, but it never materialised.

I paid $50 for that pish and I’ve seen more competitive football when my child plays on a Sunday morning. As mentioned in previous posts, this round of Asian groups is fast resembling the old Oceanic scores.

Comment

Thankfully Iran spared Guam's dignity by keeping the score down to 6-0.

Comment

CY_Boaby wrote: The Socceroos came to Perth for the first time in a decade as they strolled to a 5-0 win over the mighty Bangladesh. 4-0 up at half-time, those us in the Shed area behind the goal were expecting a 2nd half avalanche, but it never materialised.

I paid $50 for that pish and I’ve seen more competitive football when my child plays on a Sunday morning. As mentioned in previous posts, this round of Asian groups is fast resembling the old Oceanic scores.
                                              Very lame second half performance by Australia- they were just going through the motions; it was almost like there was an agreement not to run up to too big a score. Bangladesh were without a doubt the poorest national team seen in Australia since the Oceania days. Many of them resembled park footballers, and Federici only touched the ball maybe three or four times for the whole match.

Comment

I paid $50 for that pish and I’ve seen more competitive football when my child plays on a Sunday morning.
                                                You thought a match between Australia and Bangladesh was going to be 'competitive'?

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                                  I paid $50 for that pish and I’ve seen more competitive football when my child plays on a Sunday morning.
                                                  You thought a match between Australia and Bangladesh was going to be 'competitive'?
                                                  Those poor old fans in Perth had to convince themselves it was going to be a good match- they haven't had a Socceroo match there for ten years, and they probably won't get one again for another ten years...

Comment

I was at Subiaco Oval 10 years ago when the Socceroos last came to town. Indonesia were the opposition, with former England & Villa striker Peter Withe as their coach. That was another non-event. Maybe one day Perth will get to see a decent Socceroos match, but I doubt it'll be anytime this decade.

Caught the Tajikistan-Socceroos qualifier on the tele last night, which was more entertaining than I thought it would be. I think it was the old creaking stadium, dodgy graphics and poor camerawork that reminded me of some European qualifiers from the 1980s. All that was missing was the old telephone line commentary. Shame Tajikistan didn't score, as it would have been great to see the crowd go mental. Mind you, with fans behind both goals in total darkness, from a health & safety perspective probably best they didn't score.

Good to see ex-St Mirren player Aaron Mooy pulling the strings in midfield for the Socceroos. It was a shame we couldn't hold onto him. Not too sure I'd keep him as the set-piece taker, as a lot of his deliveries were pretty average, although he did smack the bar with a free kick in the 2nd half. Mind you, the whole team were pretty average when it come to delivering the cross ball.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X