Islamic State Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islamic State Watch

Russia bombed IS today whereas the USA say IS isn't operating in the areas Russia bombed. Whatever the truth is it's going to be the people of Syria suffering.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Putin is taking advantage of Obama's lame duck status, and knows that there is no US desire to do anything in Syria. Putin can also look at the latest Afghanistan "collateral damage" fiasco and say that he'd doing nothing worse than the Yanks, which I assume would be untrue (I believe Putin will eventually have killed more Syrian civilians with these bombings than Obama has killed with drones in Afghanistan) but would still play well for Putin among the constituencies he wants to reach (pro-Asad, pro-Russian, anti-American).

Putin is a more cynical cunt than Obama but is also (perhaps not coincidentally) more effective. The danger is that the US might want to elect a Presidential duo that is more Putin-like, in the mould of Bush-Cheney.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Can one of the barrack-room lawyers answer this one

"We" don't like Assad, yet he heads the legitimate Syrian government.

"We" are backing and supporting groups involved in armed revolt against that government.

Doesn't that constitute criminal behaviour under international law?

Comment

Islamic State Watch

We can also add that the legitimate government in Syria has asked its allies for support in dealing with this revolt. It's an awful situation for the civilians on the ground wherever they are and whoever they support.

Now it appears Iran are sending troops in to provide boots on the ground. I think Russia and Iran have seen the situation in Yemen where the Saudi coalition has soldiers fighting and decided that Saudi et al will continue to fight in Syria through proxies and not directly therefore let's get our forces in first.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Guy Potger wrote: Can one of the barrack-room lawyers answer this one

"We" don't like Assad, yet he heads the legitimate Syrian government.

"We" are backing and supporting groups involved in armed revolt against that government.

Doesn't that constitute criminal behaviour under international law?
            I assume so but it's been the "normal" mode of international relations since 1945, aka "balance of power politics" in Korea, Vietnam, El Salvador, etc.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Is there a difference between being the recognised government and the legitimate government? As the longstanding incumbent then Assad is the former, but the manner in which his father secured rule suggests that he's not really the latter - in common with many governments around the world of course.

Also, when a government commits atrocities against its citizens then at what point do they lose any claimed legitimacy?

Comment

Islamic State Watch

If only we were.

Finally managed to get to my first Syria Solidarity gig yesterday, outside the Russian embassy. I'd encourage everyone to do the same.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Daesh has been making gains on the ground, taking advantage of the Russian bombing of rebel areas.

Putin is effectively giving them air support.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

I think that has been government policy for a long time. Let IS take control of many areas so that Assad looks like the better option as there is nobody left to counter IS.

The Ankara bombing appears to have been a double suicide attack according to reports. It happened near the main station. I've walked along that street many times years ago which makes it even more horrific as I know the statue in the pictures, the shops and restaurants that surround it.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Horrible.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

My niece is currently living in Ankara. I'm waiting for her to reply to a message.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

I remember you saying that GO, here's hoping she's OK.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

The death toll in Ankara is now over 80.

Reports of the bomb squad coming to investigate a suspicious vehicle.

Turkey does seem to solve these atrocities very quickly so I expect the identity of the bombers to come out in the next few days.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

My niece is ok, thanks AE. She tried to give blood for the victims, but apparently hasn't been in the country long enough to do so. Her partner's office is close by, and he heard the explosions.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

I'm confused. Is it Israel/America who are propping Isis up, or is it Russia.

These conspiracies are becoming difficult to keep track of.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Erdogan's shower saying the bombing could have been the work of the PKK. That is some sickening electioneering from Erdogan. Why would the PKK blow up a load of Kurds holding a peace march.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Erdogan's shower saying the bombing could have been the work of the PKK. That is some sickening electioneering from Erdogan. Why would the PKK blow up a load of Kurds holding a peace march.
                                    He's also said it could be the extreme left.

It is very reminiscent of the Madrid train bombings when the government there tried to blame it on ETA.

This is so clearly IS but the big question is how much of a role does the state have in allowing this either directly or indirectly with their open support for extremists in Syria.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Posty Webber wrote: I'm confused. Is it Israel/America who are propping Isis up, or is it Russia.

These conspiracies are becoming difficult to keep track of.
                                      Daesh pretty much prop themselves up.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Along those lines:

Comment

Islamic State Watch

ursus arctos wrote: Along those lines:

Taxes?

Comment

Islamic State Watch

This is really hard hitting stuff - speech by Demirtas the leader of the HDP (and organisers of the rally) after a speech by the PM essentially blaming him and his party for the events. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8W_WT5KDk (subtitled in English)

That's not pulling any punches

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Indeed. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Spot the deliberate mistake -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34502545

British diplomat summoned by Russia over 'missile' reports

Newspapers said RAF Tornados in Iraq had been fitted with heat-seeking missiles designed for aerial combat.

But the Ministry of Defence said there was "absolutely no truth" in this.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

The key word is 'fitted'. Those heat seeking missiles were already there.
                                                  Or the BBC are using a file photo.
                                                  Or the MoD are lying.
                                                  One of the three.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Seems pretty obviously a file photo. It's sourced to the MoD, for a start.

A quick image search shows it's at least a year old.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X