Islamic State Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islamic State Watch

The ceasefire doesn't apply to IS or Al Nusra controlled areas. In other areas it's apparently holding better than expected.

The suicide bombing in Iraq was at a football match, we've seen the blanket coverage given to events in Brussels reciprocated in the amount of coverage given to this.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Reports are that ISIS have, as threatened, crucified a priest whom they kidnapped during a massacre at a Catholic home for the aged in Yemen. On Good Friday.

I really hope they won't release footage of that.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

G-Man wrote: Reports are that ISIS have, as threatened, crucified a priest whom they kidnapped during a massacre at a Catholic home for the aged in Yemen. On Good Friday.

Can you link to that, please? I was under the impression that no organisation had yet claimed responsibility for his kidnapping or what the motives were, save for a tweet from a South African mission - which has since been deleted.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

A year gone since the liberation of Idlib. Of course, now we know this was to become one of the factors that convinced Putin to help his tin-pot dictator, who was losing town after town to the armed resistance in Syria.

Russian carpet bombing of the liberated areas (only recently bombing ISIS at Palmyra to assist Assad's publicity stunt), has now driven thousands more Syrians out of their homes to become refugees and at the same time Putin continues to fund right-wing political groups across Europe.

The Assad regime, which is by far a worst terrorist than ISIS, regains an historical town from the 'mad jihadis', the town Palmyra that his militias looted of artefacts before handing it to ISIS a year ago, a perfectly co-ordinated publicity stunt between ISIS, Putin and Assad.
          and

The retaking of Palmyra is largely theatre, and has more importance internationally than it does on the ground in Syria.

When the regime was losing ground to the rebels last year, they handed Palmyra to ISIS and received masses of news coverage. Now they have stabilised the military situation versus the rebels through massive Russian and Iranian intervention, they can retake Palmyra and show the world that they are a viable partners in the fight against ISIS.

Bear in mind that this is the same regime that cannot retake the towns of Daraya, Moadamiyeh, or the Eastern Ghouta countryside from the rebels, all of which are within a few kilometres of the centre of Damascus. While some celebrate the return of the regime's reign of terror to Palmyra, the starvation sieges of Rebel towns, and mass torture in its detention centres continues unabated.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
            Originally posted by G-Man
            Reports are that ISIS have, as threatened, crucified a priest whom they kidnapped during a massacre at a Catholic home for the aged in Yemen. On Good Friday.

Can you link to that, please? I was under the impression that no organisation had yet claimed responsibility for his kidnapping or what the motives were, save for a tweet from a South African mission - which has since been deleted.
            Apparently Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, who belongs to the same religious order as Fr Uzhunnalil, the Salesians, announced it (the story in the link is a wire report which presumably is based on a report by the Austrian state-broadcaster ORF). But there's no word on how he received that information, and the Salesian order has not confirmed the reports.

So the qualifier "reportedly" is still necessary.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Thanks. I sincerely hope it's not true.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

It might not be true.

This statement was issued yesterday by the Diocese of Bombay:

FR. TOM UZHUNNALIL, SALESIAN PRIEST KIDNAPPED BY ISIS
                Over the past few days there have been several Whatsapp messages, blogs and media outlets that have been reporting that Fr. Tom Uzhunnalil was crucified by ISIS on Good Friday.

There has been no confirmation of this by friends, family or Fr. Uzhunnalil’s community. The reports being circulated are based on an alleged statement by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna, during the Easter Vigil services. Rumours of a possible impending crucifixion had also been spread last week on the basis of an unconfirmed e-mail and were dismissed by Fr. Uzhunnalil’s Salesian community as hearsay.

Bishop Paul Hinder of Southern Arabia, the country just north of Yemen where Fr. Uzhunnalil was kidnapped, told Catholic News Agency (CNA) on Monday that he has “strong indications that Fr. Tom is still alive in the hands of the kidnappers.”

We request people to please stop forwarding unconfirmed reports, as this might jeopardise Fr. Tom’s safety. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

I'm not suggesting he's in a great place, but that gives a little hope.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

The priest's whereabouts are still unknown. The Pope made an appeal on April 11th but I've seen no updates since then.

At least it appears the reports above about his death were unfounded.

Meanwhile this history of ISIS is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1941393578/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid =&sr=

Comment

Islamic State Watch

In the past week Islamic State have carried out a suicide attack on Atatürk International Airport which killed more than 40 people, they then killed 20 people in Bangladesh massacring them in a cafe and today have bombed Baghdad killing close to 100 people. The media coverage of the Istanbul attack was comprehensive but the other two barely got a mention.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

In the US, Bangladesh was extensively covered on CNN and MSNBC. Baghdad might get lost in the July 4th lull.

Bangladesh was not as ISIS attack; Bangladesh authorities say it was a domestic group that's been around since before ISIS.

ISIS using Russian operatives is going to make Trump's Muslim ban look even more dumb.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Japanese? I've not heard that. I thought that they and the Italians were the targets.

The Russians are from Trans Caucasia and are Chechens or Dagestanis, the story of how the leader ended up in Istanbul is quite shocking. Released by Georgia and given asylum by Austria despite Russia demanding his extradition.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

IS claimed responsibly for the attack in Bangladesh, I thought that group had declared allegiance to IS much like Boko Haram did.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

"Japanese? I've not heard that."

Sorry, my error; have edited,

Comment

Islamic State Watch

It's possible that the local group has sworn some kind of kinship with ISIS but I personally doubt that ISIS would have directed it.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Suicide bombing in Medina, near The Prophet's Mosque

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Sorry. Deleted for twatitude.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Reports of 3 explosions.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Apparently it's one of a number of attacks in Saudi Arabia today, all targeting the Shia minority.

The bombings in Iraq at the weekend have resulted in the government finally getting rid of the fake bomb detectors sold to them by a British man who made millions but has the blood of thousands on his hands.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

Jesus. Is that vile PoS in the jail?

Comment

Islamic State Watch

James McCormick was the bastard who did this. The Iraq government spent over £50 million pounds on these devices that were based on novelty golf ball finders.

He got ten years. That's about 3 weeks for every person that was murdered yesterday.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

It would be a terrible shame if he met with an accident upon release.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

He's hidden much of his money in shell companies abroad. I think he should be made to work on the security check points in Baghdad.

Comment

Islamic State Watch

This short documentary on a Kurdish sniper fighting the IS goblins is really worth watching.

Comment

With Mosul all but liberated and Raqqa under siege and certain to fall, even if that takes months, what is next for Daesh and their fighters?

Will it be back to guerrilla warfare in Syria and Iraq, moving to fight in Libya, the Sinai Peninsula or Afghanistan, or bringing more terror to western Europe?

I think the fall of their major strongholds and the loss of symbols of power that they brought means this is more likely to be the end of the beginning of Daesh and their caliphate than their defeat.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X