No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are absolutely right Berbs. There are a lot of hog farms in NC. When Matthew hit at least one waste pond (!) overflowed and released thousands of gallons of pig shit into the Cape Fear. I might look into this. Watch this space.

Comment

China, ICYMI

https://twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041193839224975361?s=19

Comment

Be seeing you!

- when did making the "sign of six" as used in the Prisoner become a "White Power" gesture?

(I knew about the three fingers in the belt meaning, but this is a new one on me

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coast-g...acist-gesture/

Comment

Why is it the case that build-ups to hurricanes seem to focus on high winds when in most cases it's the volume of water that causes most problems? I would think that, in most American locations, unless it's an exceptionally strong hurricane (upwards of Force 3) the priority of alarm would be 1) Storm surge; 2) volume of rainfall; 3) wind damage.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-09-2018, 11:28.

Comment

Guy, It’s complicated

Some time around 2015, the OK sign became popular among Trump supporters. Know Your Meme gives a meticulous history, showing its use by figures like Mike Cernovich (a brain-pill salesman who believes Hillary Clinton ran a pedophile ring out of a pizza shop) and Milo Yiannopoulos (who swears he’s not a neo-Nazi but surrounds himself with neo-Nazis). Both of these men famously thrive on publicity and controversy, which explains a lot of what happened next.

Comment

Satchmo, it is simply because high winds make for better television and are more easily reduced to simple integers thanks to the Saffir-Simpson Scale.

The professional warnings in the Carolinas (as opposed to cable tv hype) have been focused on water for over a week.

Comment

A New Yorker piece on the threat from factory farms and "lagoons"

Comment

The damage and flooding doesn't look too bad in these images, if I'm using the site correctly.

Comment

As far as I can tell from that site, so far they seem to have very little coverage of the affected area.

Comment

Just been out having a good look at my yards. Tree limbs and branches everywhere. I would post some pictures but I don't know how. What a clusterfuck. Gonna take a lot of clearing up but, as I said earlier, there are a lot of people worse off than me.

And, as ursus said. we were warned about damaging winds, of course, but the emphasis was on flooding. Still is. The Neuse and the Trent are rising. Not out of the woods yet.
                      Last edited by adams house cat; 17-09-2018, 17:41.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TTrogdon/status/1041681075599278080

https://twitter.com/TTrogdon/status/1041681075599278080

“The Black River, Northeast Cape Fear River, and the main stem of the Cape Fear River flow through three of the most swine-farm-concentrated counties, which make up the most swine-farming-dense watershed on earth,” he said. “There’s plenty of poultry farms, too.” He added, “It’s looking like a worst-case scenario here, with those rivers cresting to historically high levels.”

Comment

Sounds like the woods have thinned out a bit at least. Glad you're okay. In the UK when people have trees down they chop them up into logs and offer them (if they don't need themselves) to people with woodburning stoves - is that something you could look at when some semblance of normality returns?

Comment

Not really Rogin. Good idea though. Anyone with a stove could find a more plentiful supply a little out of town. Thanks though. I'll just get it hauled away. They can do what they want with it.

Comment

Glad to hear you're okay. New Bern seemed to get a good thumping. We're (selfishly) happy to hear that OBX got off very lightly.

Comment

Nothing selfish about it. Good news brightens things up a little.

Comment

Oh God, Chicken shit is nearly an entire order of magnitude more toxic than pig shit. As if this wasn't going to be bad enough.

Comment

https://twitter.com/thebradsowder/status/1041784880428982272?s=21

https://twitter.com/thebradsowder/st...428982272?s=21

Comment

Ali-up!

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status...11436497682438

Comment

"one of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water"

no prize for guessing who said it

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                          "one of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water"

no prize for guessing who said it

That's not that bad, is it?

We know what's meant, it's just very inelegant.

Comment

Inelegant captain obvious mansplaining by an ignorant boor who doesn't give a fuck.

Comment

Of all the ignorant boorishness from Tr*mpy, this is far from being the worst.

(Apparently Junior had already congratulated him on his excellent response to the storm, the day before it made landfall in the US)

Comment

Got a phonecall from my parents. They have the phone back, but still no power. The only real damage they suffered (touch wood) was a smashed flower urn. Fortunately they just had a velux roof replaced just before the storm, or there would likely have been a gaping hole in their roof. Hopefully the worst is now over.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bretwalda View Post
                                                  Of all the ignorant boorishness from Tr*mpy, this is far from being the worst.
                                                  Obviously not but I felt like hating on it. Him trying and failing to be presidential/empathetic in a time of crisis really galls.

Comment

"Have a good time"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X