No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had hailstones the size of marbles just after teatime yesterday. Right now it's very dark and raining quite heavily with thunder in the distance. I wish it would get on with it.

Comment

Full-on Sturm und Drang in EC2 at present. Nice weather for ducks.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm supposed to be running home after work today (brought my running shoes and everything), but I may chicken out and get the bus home; there's a lot of trees on my route and I don't especially fancy being under one if it gets sparky out there.

Comment

Thunder and lightning in Deptford, the thunder was enough to set off a car alarm.

Comment

Left Liverpool (23, sunny) in t shirt and shorts, arrived Kilburn (19, thunder and lightning) and wished I’d checked the forecast before choosing my attire.

Comment

It’s actually too hot today. And I hate people who say that. So fuckin humid.

Comment

Huh. I’m on holiday in Suffolk and it’s been sunny (as my sunburn can attest) and we’ve seen no rain since last week. The text messages from UK Power Networks apologising for weather-related power cuts at home (Herts) are a little unnerving, though.

Comment

Flooding in northern France at the moment as pressure systems stay to the south of the UK. More to come as well with heavy rain sat to the west of Paris unable to move northward due to the easterly winds which are keeping us cool.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180611/swa...s-and-flooding

Comment

Big storms in plenty of locations around the Pfalz yesterday, but it was all very localised. We heard the thunder here and got a few drops of rain but nothing more than that. The main shopping street in Grünstadt turned into a waterway for a while:
                    https://youtu.be/fvsltOo3S18

And around Mannheim/Ludwigshafen the weather was much worse too - no surprise that the friendly between Fußgönheim and Karlruhe got called off:
                    https://youtu.be/cHqx6GSZYZI

Comment

This is quite something - the dry weather is revealing history on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                        I'm hoping that there is some kind of systematic aerial survey work being conducted. There might not be too many opportunities in the near future to uncover such a range of historical sites.

Comment

We've had a dry, hot spell over here, a pretty rare event which turned all the lawns facing south parched tan, it gives the city a pleasant mediterranean feel. I guess there are no watering systems in place, which is something we share with the UK and northern France. Another bonus is a lower mosquito count this season, with fewer pools of stagnant water around.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NY1weather/status/1019277143430352898
                            https://twitter.com/NY1/status/1019298851281424384

Comment

FUCK. THIS. HOT. WEATHER.

Fuck sweating in an old building day in, day out, because it's listed and your office is at the top with zero airflow.

Fuck opening the window and having no breeze.

Fuck waking up with the room stinking of fucking woodsmoke because some cunt has set fire to something, somewhere.

Fuck lying sweating in your bed, unable to fall asleep.

Fuck suntan lotion, greasing up everything and staining clothes.

Fuck sunburn and fucking skin cancer risk.

Fuck getting into a car at the end of the day that appears to have doubled as an oven whilst you were working.

Fuck red hot steering wheels.

Fuck sweating shirts to destruction.

Fuck dying of dehydration even though your personal water intake is causing a hosepipe ban in its own right.

Fuck empty water butts forcing you to use metered fucking water to keep the plants alive.

Fuck barbecues.

Fuck appetite suppressing heat meaning no one wants to eat the delicious meals you've slaved to prepare.

Fuck Godawful displays of sleeve after sleeve of generic tattoos being revealed.

Bring on the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness and may the sun remove his hat post haste.

Comment

Mmmm...there is a considerably worse on the way, possibly, Egg...and August looks to head in the same direction as June and July....

Comment

A friend of mine has a neat little website recording the weather hereabouts. That history page is interesting, and even though it doesn't go back that far, it still manages to convey where this summer has been an outlier. It's rainfall rather than temperature that is the most different. See - http://www.dajda.net/history.html

It was actually cloudy for much less of the day around here, and I felt slightly cold when I was outside. The website tells me it was probably about 23C when I was feeling that. Which is nuts to consider as anything other than warm in British terms, and my body needs to snap out of it or the reversion to the mean is going to be really unpleasant.

Comment

Has been 18-19 since Sunday in Dublin (Sat was 26) and yeh, I’m feeling cold. Gives one more month of Heatgasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                      Mmmm...there is a considerably worse on the way, possibly, Egg...and August looks to head in the same direction as June and July....
                                      Ah, fuck.

Comment

If July 27 is clear and roasting between Bray and Greystones that’s enough for me to die happy.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          Mardale, the village that was flooded to make Haweswater, is re-appearing due to low water levels. I remember this happening in 1984, it became a big local tourist attraction - I think it's happened since, but it certainly doesn't happen often.

Comment

Absolutely baking down here in London and the south-east tonight and I mean baking. It is almost 10pm and the temperature is still 23C that's 75F and it is stifling. By 4am it is due to be just a mere 18C that comes in at 65F. The thing is I have always thought that Londoners are better in the cold than the heat. When it's cold they run around wrapped up, with gloves and scarves on. They mutter "mustn't grumble" to each other and share roaring hot fires with in City pubs. Come the summer they strip off all their clothing, the beer guts hang out, the saggy tits go on display and they get drunk and urinate everywhere.

A return to cooler weather, please!

Comment

140am and i can't sleep, currently in Geneva and it must be 25c in my bedroom...Thank God i'll be in the Alps tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                Absolutely baking down here in London and the south-east tonight and I mean baking. It is almost 10pm and the temperature is still 23C that's 75F and it is stifling. By 4am it is due to be just a mere 18C that comes in at 65F. The thing is I have always thought that Londoners are better in the cold than the heat. When it's cold they run around wrapped up, with gloves and scarves on. They mutter "mustn't grumble" to each other and share roaring hot fires with in City pubs. Come the summer they strip off all their clothing, the beer guts hang out, the saggy tits go on display and they get drunk and urinate everywhere.

A return to cooler weather, please!
                                                Yeah, but yr scared of Scottish middle mgmt fannies going on the rampage despite it not being 1978

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                  Absolutely baking down here in London and the south-east tonight and I mean baking. It is almost 10pm and the temperature is still 23C that's 75F and it is stifling.
                                                  lulz.

Comment

20% chance of UK all time temperature record being broken on Friday as per Met.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X