No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes as mentioned on Mundane, 44 here today.

Comment

Fionn's got some oomph. Really windy out here overnight and this morning.

Comment

Snowed like a bastard here yesterday afternoon and evening. And it was wet heavy snow (usually here we get a lighter powderier snow). Roads were hell going home yesterday afternoon. My 15 minute drive was nearly an hour. This morning was slightly easier though still pretty slippy. I think we're due for some more this afternoon and tomorrow.

Comment

The wind blew it down?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42730984

I reckon he huffed, and he puffed until he blew that fence down!

Comment

FFS locking kids in schools is a bit of an over reaction. It's just a wolf. And there's only one of them.

Comment

Yes, seems a bit much, and I don’t doubt the police will kill it once they track it down

Comment

They didn't.

Comment

A split Polar Vortex - about as perfect a split as it can be - forecasted for 14-16 Feb. This could mean a very cold start to spring (taking into account propagation time from strat to trop levels)

https://fs.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_20...31a6195ae.jpeg

Comment

It was bloody cold getting lunch, I tell you what. The Gherkin really funnels the wind.

Comment

Cold up here too, dusting of snow outside work (east Manchester) which wasn't there where I live (near St-Helens)...No sign of thing getting warmer, in fact there is likely to be a sustained period of cold temperartures starting on sunday, even the mild sector forecast for saturday has been squeezed out. Models showing ice days in coming weeks (temps not going above freezing point all day).

I would not be surprised if we are stuck in the freezer until mid-march...

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                        It was bloody cold getting lunch, I tell you what. The Gherkin really funnels the wind.
                        Could be worse.

It could be a killer like those cunts in Leeds built.

Comment

That works out okay for me as I am off to the Cairngorms tomorrow evening for a weeks winter walking. Cold weather down into the glens makes it a lot easier for me to walk rather than having to go up high and risk whiteouts etc. Actually I'm hoping to try and complete the Tomintoul section of the Strathespey Way, although this may involve having to use a school bus stop get to the start point and then a walk back to the car in Tomintoul.

Comment

Ah...you are going to have fun up there Paul, the weather is coming from the east later in the week. Wrap up...

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              I probably walked past you on the way to the pub.

Comment

Due to illness I haven't actually set foot outside in three weeks. Occasionally one of the nurses will complain about how cold it was last night but it doesn't feel that it has any relevance to my life. Which means, when they do finally let me out of here, I'm in for a bit of a shock

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                  Ah...you are going to have fun up there Paul, the weather is coming from the east later in the week. Wrap up...
                                  What I really want are cloud free munros but I can't see me getting it.

Comment

Blimey. Hope you're ok pebble.

I would not be surprised if we are stuck in the freezer until mid-march...
                                    Are you trying to make me miserable? If there's one thing worse than a British winter, it's a particularly cold British winter.

Comment

The SE of the country seems particularly affected by the cold on models... Question mark on snow still, how much and where....

Comment

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Comment

It's going to be 80 here, by Tuesday next week.

Comment

Do the locals complain about the cold like puffa wrapped Italians when it’s below 80 Gero?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              Do the locals complain about the cold like puffa wrapped Italians when it’s below 80 Gero?
                                              I don't think they are ever outside for any longer than it takes to get from the car park.

But, yes, they complain.

Comment

Today - the 2nd February - is Candlemas Day or the midway point between the Winter equinox and the spring equinox. There are a some sayings associated with Candlemas day some of which are associated with the weather:

If candlemas day be fair and bright
                                                Winter will have another fight
                                                If candlemas day bring cloud and rain
                                                Winter won't come again

If candlemas day be dry and fair
                                                The o the winter's to come and mair
                                                If candlemas day be wet and foul
                                                The half o the winter's gane at yule

In the United States today is known as Ground Hog Day

etc. etc.

Comment

STOP WINTER

Comment

I'd forgotten about that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X