Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The mayor of Rockport asked anyone who wasn't evacuating to write their Social Security number on their arm so as to expedite the post-storm identification process.

The big danger now is flooding. The Houston Police had to rescue a couple of dozen people last night who went out to gawp in their cars and got stranded in water.
    Yeah, I saw that interview with the Rockport mayor. He seemed really pissed off that people weren't leaving.

95% of Port Aransas evacuated because it is a barrier island. But people in Rockport thought they were OK because they are on the coast behind the barrier islands. False sense of security. They say about 5,000 people didn't leave Rockport. It's a nice town, Rockport... I hope it will recover.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
      So yeah, there are dickheads like Ted Cruz in Texas for sure, but it is a very big state with a diverse population. New York gave the world Rudy Giuliani, but we won't hold that against them.
      Yeah! I'm from Texas. I don't acquit myself that well but I'm better than Ted Cruz. There are millions of good liberal folk living there. And liberals living in red state purgatory are generally better than your protected coastal elitists with their obnoxious "flyover" mentality. Fuck them.

Comment

What part of Texas are you from?

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
        That would have to be Jim Cantore.
        Yes, that seems to be the guy. Whenever they would go for a commercial break he'd be telling everyone to stay tuned for more hurricane action after the break. Like he literally doesn't care that people's lives are being distrupted.

Comment

Sounds like Houston is already in unprecedented flooding territory and still has days to go. This is going to be really bad.

Comment

Family moving upstairs at the moment, trying to save as much furniture as they can. They've scoped out a way of getting on to the roof if necessary. Fortunately The kids are still in 'new and exciting' mode.

Comment

Upstairs should hopefully be more than sufficient.

95% of Port Aransas evacuated. One of the crazy 5% who remained confirmed that the lady's apartment building is in good shape.

Liquor store in Port Aransas. The walls and roof are somewhere else in the town. But the booze is still arranged nicely on the shelves. It's bizzare.
              Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-08-2017, 19:05.

Comment

That's clearly a function of the crazy thin walls that American buildings are made from, while a stack of bottles actually weighs a fair amount.

I remain amazed that in places where wind (hurricanes and tornadoes) are the dominant risk, Americans don't build more stone and brick houses. It makes sense in southern california where nothing's going to get blown down but you want flexibility in an earthquake. But the balsa-wood frame covered in thin-cardboard approach to US house building just makes no sense in the plains, midwest and the south.

Comment

Good luck to the family, Amor. It sounds like people who have two floors are basically going to be ignored by emergency services for the time being, as the second floor is relatively safe. We were always warned that flooding would be the more major problem, and it's looking that way now.

Comment

The second floor is what we call the first floor, right?

Hope everyone OK, Amor.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      That's clearly a function of the crazy thin walls that American buildings are made from, while a stack of bottles actually weighs a fair amount.

I remain amazed that in places where wind (hurricanes and tornadoes) are the dominant risk, Americans don't build more stone and brick houses. It makes sense in southern california where nothing's going to get blown down but you want flexibility in an earthquake. But the balsa-wood frame covered in thin-cardboard approach to US house building just makes no sense in the plains, midwest and the south.
                      Stone and brick would be economically impractical in Western North America, but the first rule of building material is, or should be, 'look at what the locals are using." In the South West that'd be adobe, which withstands pretty much everything except major earthquakes. But us white-guys know better don't we.

Comment

Adobe: That's where you build a house, and get a tiny little bit changed every day for eternity.

Comment

The Weather Channel is at least now using an appropriate tone of tragedy for this. It has just interviewed a male rescuer who was in tears and shown some heartbreaking images of evacuees.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            The Weather Channel is at least now using an appropriate tone of tragedy for this. It has just interviewed a male rescuer who was in tears and shown some heartbreaking images of evacuees.
                            I saw a photo of an old people's home with 90 year old women sitting around in living room chairs with the water coming up to their waists. Fucking hell.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                              What part of Texas are you from?
                              ~100 miles north of Houston. My big childhood hurricane memory is Alicia in 1983, which hit Galveston and Houston and was the worst in a generation (for Texas).

Comment

Can't help but think that there'll be people who left behind flooded houses in New Orleans in 2005 to move to Houston and now facing flooded houses again.

Comment

!!!!!

Comment

The old people have thankfully been rescued

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/ar...ign=user-share

Comment

That before and after pic is fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

It's cheap.

Comment

I was told it's cheaper to rebuild after a hurricane.

The logic was lost on me.

Comment

What one would expect from a city that still lacks basic zoning laws.

More examples.

Comment

"What we've found is that our system actually works fairly well," Houston Planning Director Pat Walsh told the Houston Chronicle. "A developer doesn't want to build a single family house next to an industrial facility, and the market prevents that from happening."
                                              Maybe Pat Walsh's job should be left to the market as well...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                What one would expect from a city that still lacks basic zoning laws.

More examples.
                                                It's funny this hasn't improved, because they have tried to do more forward looking stuff like Metrorail.

Comment

So I take it the right will find it in incredibly bad taste to "politicize" this tragedy by linking it to global warming.

Comment

I think I remember seeing a survey from a couple of years ago that showed that a large majority of people in south Texas were concerned about climate change. Might have consequences for future voting patterns, considering that the Republicans are in complete denial of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X