Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting very excited about the weather tonight as there are due to be some big thunderstorms coming through. Here in London we have very warm conditions and already cirrus clouds have formed and are gradually getting denser. Of course, this isn't unusual and doesn't indicate anything out of the ordinary, but it's the plume of warm air that is exciting and this could set off some big thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow.

expected daytime tomorrow, according to the BBC site

Comment

Flying back up the Adriatic coast a couple of weeks ago, it was a night flight, just after dusk, and we saw a massive thunderstorm from high above the clouds, over the Italian coast. It really was quite mesmerizing, every twenty or seconds or so in our field of view the clouds would be brilliantly illuminated from below by bursts of white light. I love watching lightning from the ground, but this! I would have honestly paid for the flight just to watch it.

Comment

We've had a pretty chilly late spring and are having a pretty chilly early summer aren't we? One stat that's easy to remember is that in approximately half of all calendar years the shade temperature in London edges 30C at some point in the year, even if only on one day. We're into June now, and OK you don't expect quite the July/August temps but even so: the temperature is only occasionally struggling over 20C and, apparently, going as high as 24C in London requires such instability at the moment that it triggers a storm downpour.

I suppose we should be grateful we don't live in a place with fatal heat levels like India's been having recently.

Still, looking forward to my French hols. The forecast for Perpignan for the next two weeks for example has daytime highs averaging - that's averaging - around 30C. Can't wait.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: expected daytime tomorrow, according to the BBC site
          Balls. Flying into Heathrow early afternoon tomorrow...

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem - there's no particularly big wind forecast, just heavy rain showers and a bit of Donner and Blitz.

Comment

I've been doing a Duke of Edinburgh expedition this week. We were camping on the coast at Silverdale and it was very windy when putting the tents up on Tuesday. Lovely weather today though. When we went to the same place four years ago there was a massive storm on one of the trips. I spent most of the evening sitting with the rest of the staff in a minibus, watching the lightning over Morecambe Bay.

Comment

As a gentleman scientist with an interest in reanimating corpses, I'm very pleased about this news.

Comment

It's been extraordinarily warm and dry here in coastal Cascadia for several months. The average April and May rainfall is 74.9 and 61.7mm respectively. This year it was 51.4 and 5.1.

Spring has been more like July/August. This weekend we're expecting 30+ degree temperatures. Virtually unheard of for early June. It's great and stuff, but definitely worrying too. If it carries on through the Summer forest fires are going to be epidemic.

Comment

Big thunderstorm whilst walking to the station this morning and hopefully more to come. There's some big storms moving over East Anglia at the moment which would make nice viewing.

Comment

Potential for cloud tops to punch through above 34,000ft!(This is quite exceptional for the UK) The overall opinion is maybe moderate for thunderstorms though spatial coverage less sure at this point. Models indicate strongest forcing initially occurring over Cornwall then propagate east through the day.Whilst the storm motion will in fact be toward ENE.

Tony Gilbert UK weather World
                      Some big stuff due tomorrow. Not quite sure where the centre's going to be or even if it's going to kick off. It's all about what could happen.

Comment

Met Office Warnings Issued For: West Sussex
                        Yellow early warning of rain
                        To: 0700 on Sat 13 June
                        Updated 10 June at 10:43

Isolated severe thunderstorms seem likely to develop on Friday, these succeeded by a band of more widespread heavy rain and occasional thunderstorms, moving gradually north later in the day, affecting much of the highlighted region into the early hours of Saturday morning.The public should be aware that there is a chance of some very localised significant disruption, mainly from surface water flooding. Lightning and hail could also cause some impacts.
                        Forecast high of 25C for Friday afternoon too!

Comment

We got absolutely nothing last Friday, so I'm not holding my breath for this one.

Comment

A lot of activity out there right now. Let's see what it brings.

UK radar

Comment

Well I hope it stays warm and dry. Got lots to do tomorrow. This house is more of a wreck than it first appeared.

Comment

Pah! No storm, no teacup. Had a short spell of heavy rain which woke me up at 8am but it's dry and almost sunny at the moment. Forecast says the rest of the heavy rain is likely to miss us now. I'll have to water the plants again on Sunday/Monday.

Comment

It is very humid. Horrible, but at least it isn't sunny.

Comment

Looking forward to fly to Geneva this evening, plenty of activity over central Europe, thunderstorms galore. Can't wait for the turbulences at the approach...

Comment

You are a sick man.

Comment

Some really good storms brewing up over the west country right now. No lightening as far as I can tell, but some pretty sustained downpours on their way for the South-east of England tonight.

Comment

Don't mind if it rains over night. The lawn could do with a bit more water after today.

Comment

Kent, Sussex and South London getting it at the moment. Nothing north of there unfortunately.

Comment

Don't get giddy children…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34181468

Comment

Shall we call the next storm Cecil, in memory of the lion?

Comment

Paul S wrote: Shall we call the next storm Cecil, in memory of the lion?
                                                  Or "Palmer"…

Comment

Working...
                                                  X