Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A f*cking monster of a hurricane has developed off the coast of Mexico. Projected winds of 260mph and 60 cm of rain. This has developed from a tropical storm to a hurricane in just 24 hours. Stand by everyone, this will be carnage when it hits. I hope humanitarian stores can be sent quickly as this really will be a disaster.

BBC weather link

Comment

Well played, Paul.

Comment

I have to say, this is the quietest Autumn I have ever known, but there are some spectacular colours out there. Some beautiful reds and yellows on the leaves at the moment and some trees are a riot of colour. But with no wind and no frosts I think the leaves will soon be droping off through sheer boredom.

Comment

Maybe people should organize and try to keep the leaves entertained?

Comment

How about some music? Maple leaf rag maybe?

Comment

Some really bad weather around today. Anyone affected by it? Some flooding in Cumbria. Actually, cancel that, some MASSIVE flooding in Cumbria following a months rain in just 24 hours.

The Cumbria News and Star for more details

Comment

Half of the south-west of Ireland seems to be flooded. My heart goes out to the poor bastards.

Comment

Paul S wrote: Some really bad weather around today. Anyone affected by it? Some flooding in Cumbria. Actually, cancel that, some MASSIVE flooding in Cumbria following a months rain in just 24 hours.

The Cumbria News and Star for more details
                  I picked the right weekend to be away but my Facebook is full of horrific flood scenes and reports of friends and colleagues in both Carlisle and West Cumbria being put on high alert / evacuated / stuck.

Without being able to report first hand I'll make two observations. Firstly this has hit a much wider area than either the 2005 (Carlisle) or 2009 (Derwent) floods most of the sizeable towns in the county (excluding the very south, I've not heard much about that area) have been affected either by flooding or being cut off. Secondly it's one thing measuring this in as 'a month of rain in 24 hours' (and Honister may declare a new UK record 24 hour total of 14 inches) but the rain has been at incredible levels for the last 2-3 weeks so there was an immense amount of water on the hills already, and major roads were already closed on Thursday night and Friday. It's relentless.

Comment

Really pleasant weather in northeastern US/Canada. No sign of snow for the next couple of weeks, mild temps (by local, seasonal standards), around 4C-6C. I am getting almost an extra month ths season to work on my land before everything gets covered waist deep in snow. I had about a 10-mile hike today, some of it with the friendly retriever that strays from the other side of the hill. No gloves and a light coat, pleasant fall weather. The local bear still hasn't hibernated, saw some fresh tracks on the trail.

Locals are starting to panic at the prospect of only getting 3 to 4 months of snow this season, as opposed to the usual 5+, bunch of masochists really.

Comment

Cockermouth's underwater again. Having been there for their farmer's market in July, looking down at the faintly trickling river running through the town about fifteen feet below the bridge, it's hard to believe so much water can engulf the place, but it clearly does.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: Secondly it's one thing measuring this in as 'a month of rain in 24 hours' (and Honister may declare a new UK record 24 hour total of 14 inches) but the rain has been at incredible levels for the last 2-3 weeks so there was an immense amount of water on the hills already, and major roads were already closed on Thursday night and Friday. It's relentless.
                        Absolutely. I've been travelling to Workington almost weekly for work and they've had relentless torrential rain in the past few weeks. The stretch of A66 from Cockermouth to Brough was already looking very grim on Thursday evening with rivers really high and the ground completely saturated, and one of my colleagues' parents in the area had their garden and driveway completely flooded on Thursday night. This was all before the storm had even started.

Comment

But as we all know thanks to the sterling work undertaken by UKIP, flooding is caused by homosexuals.

Comment

Just got home and even in the dark you can see the lakes where rivers used to be. The flat land round the outskirts of Carlisle is completely submerged, and they have announced controlled power cuts will take place this evening to prevent a complete outage (which happened in 2005). Maybe people could contribute by calming it on the Xmas lights front, but I'm no expert.

Meanwhile those in authority are trotting out 'unprecedented', 'unique' and 'once in 200 years' - as stated above it's certainly the worst we've had, but it's the third major flood to hit this side of the county in ten years, it's not completely out of the blue.

Comment

Bloody hell! Pooley Bridge has been washed away. No kidding, honest. A bloody great stone bridge that has stood for 250 years, just washed away.

It's the bridge at the northern (downstream) end of Ullswater. You can see a nice still photo of the structure on the Wiki page below, and footage of the damage on the BBC news pages.

That is really something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooley_Bridge

current footage here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35021614

Comment

Photo here (added after EEG's edit, which shows it better anyway)

Comment

I was also looking for a photo of the damage to the A591 near Keswick but 1:20 into this shows it better.

Comment

That is incredible - the bridge at Pooley Bridge was both substantial and beautiful. Stayed overnight there last year and the dog loved running around in the shallow water. Very, very sad.

Comment

This was on RTE News last night from salthill prom

Comment

Now this is something spectacular. The rainfall has been so heavy that Malham Cove has a waterfall again for the first time in centuries.

Yorkshire Evening Post link

Comment

that's brilliant, Paul.

Nearly 40 years on, I still can't think of Malham's limestone features without remembering a third year geography field trip from around 1977, where the phrase "clints and grikes" appeared on our work sheet in poorly spaced capital letters, leading to a predictable flood of faux-innocent obscene questions to the geography teacher.

Comment

With delightful irony, Desmond appears to have affected distribution of the Northern and Shell newspapers this morning - no Daily Express or Star in either Asda or Tesco.

Comment

Yeah, "Desmond". Also appropriate that it's pissed all over the north of England, like Lynam tried to do when he asked for Countdown production to be moved down from Leeds to London to be more convenient for him.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: (and Honister may declare a new UK record 24 hour total of 14 inches).
                                                Confirmed. Well, within half an inch anyway....

Comment

I once experienced 14 inches in 4 hours.

(which is not to suggest Honister's experience is to be sniffed at by any means)

Comment

News from Cumbria is that a body has been retrieved from a swollen river in Kendal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35023558

Terrible news.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X