Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish Times has removed the paywall on its Live Blog

Comment

Oh good. Was thinking this was too much of a dander.

Comment

#pray for my roof

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
          This year's most famous movie still.

A comparison used quite often with the recent California fires, especially the surreal scenes from the (far less devastating that the Wine Country fires) Anaheim Hills fire and people at Disneyland enjoying themselves while the sky looked orange/brown behind them.

Comment

It has been fairly pisspoor from most Irish media sites in their response to this, it seems very hard to get reliable up to date news.

Comment

On top of the sepia skies and red sun, we had a short lived but stunning sunset in Norwich. Came from nowhere and was gone shortly after. Strange day.

Comment

Anyone heard from Berbaslug, doesn't he live in Galway, they got hammered today

Comment

I was just reading that a man had been killed in Cahir, hope its no one TAB knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    It's certainly well beyond weird. As for the Bladerunner thing I've seen that three or four times over the past couple of hours. Am I the only one who doesn't know what that actually means?

Comment

A long way from Ophelia here, we've had very warm and dry weather for a week now and it looks set to continue until the weekend. Beautiful sunrise today:

Comment

Storm Brian is leading the news on a day I'm travelling 100+ miles to watch a football match. Is it a necessary journey?

Comment

Our tree debris was picked up yesterday 41 days after Irma.

The removal device is called a grapple truck. Was fun having one of these on our street. It was too big for the turning circle so had to reverse out.

http://www.floridamulchsales.com/gra...ruck-services/

Comment

"Raynor Shine."

Comment

It's going to be 94 today, 100 tomorrow, 103 on Tuesday, 96 on Wednesday (34, 38, 39, 35 in metric). I know we get Santa Ana events pushing desert heat towards the coast sometimes in Autumn, but this is absolutely insane for a week before halloween. I think this is the hottest it's got all year, and it will be nearly as hot down at the coast.

Comment

How many years have you been in SoCal, SB? This is the time of year where you are reminded that you are actually living further south than Baghdad, and just north of Benghazi... It's a little harder in places like SD or SF when that happens because few people have AC at home, and because locals are notoriously wimpy when it comes to tolerance for hot or cold weather.

For all the talks of hottest year evah, in North America it's quite clear that the great majority of record maxima date from the 1930s, and it's not even close. This, despite the data being affected by the urban heat island phenomenon, in which temperatures will rise several degrees on sunny days due to the added heat absorption and thermal inertia of buildings and asphalt from modern suburban layouts.

Comment

Today, I was introduced to the Icelandic term gluggavedur - weather that looks nice indoors, but is horrific outside, which sounds a perfect description of an Irish winter.

Comment

There are massive fires all over Southern California at the moment, thanks to raging Santa Ana winds. They've finally come far enough south to get to San Diego, and last night's forecast was talking about 70-90mph winds in the mountains 20 miles away from here.

This has led to a "purple flag warning". This seems like Flag Inflation. They've never had a purple flag warning before - in the past extreme fire danger was a red flag warning. They claim that this is because the winds will effectively make it impossible to fight fires at all if they ignite, and fires can have explosive growth.

Santa Anas always bring super low humidity because they're created by high pressure in the Great Basin reversing the normal wind patters and pushing desert air out - under 10% humidity forecast today. And on the back of last winter's heavy rains and a lot of brush growth, followed by not seeing a drop of water over the summer months, there's an absolute ton of bone dry kindling in the mountains and canyons.

There was some incredible footage yesterday on the 405 past the Getty Museum heading into LA, and some horrific stuff of houses going up in Ventura. We're keeping out fingers crossed in San Diego.

Comment

Yeah and there is a massive storm hitting the UK right now which is simultaneously drenching everything whilst also sending arctic winds down their necks. Sorry for no maps or comments but this is a rather large storm. Enjoy it everyone, they don't come round that often.

Comment

Bollocks, better get up early tomorrow.

Comment

One fire started in San Diego county this afternoon, a little way inland and north. It already appears to be 2500 acres (actually, it's now 4100 acres) and 0% contained. It's called the Lilac Fire. It's burning near the towns of Bonsall and Fallbrook, which I think of as being where almost all of the US's avocados are grown. It turns out that this is a little south of the avocado plantations and is right in the heart of horse country. There's a training facility for racehorses that had 500 horses in it when the fire broke out and at the moment nobody knows for sure if all, or indeed any, of the horses got out. Also, it appears that at least 50 mobile homes have gone so far, and it's almost certain to get worse.

Comment

It's snowing here in the southern black country. Looks beautiful outside. Luckily, I have a five minute walk to work.

Comment

Breezy with hail on the Costa del Scouse - may not have picked the right week to have the gutters and soffits replaced, but at least I'm not up the ladder doing it.

Comment

Third day in a row of fog. Can barely see the other side of the road this morning.

Comment

It snowed last night here in Austin, which is unusual. It's all melted away now, though.

Comment

Yeah, Houston too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X