No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of rain coming down from Storm Bastardi or whatever it's called.

Comment

Have YOU been affected by Storm Bronagh?

Err… someone at work lent me their umbrella to stand at the bus stop.

Comment

What use is an umbrella in a storm?

Comment

To keep the rain off?

Comment

A friend who left town for the storm has come home to discover that she has lost just about everything. It's heartbreaking.

Plus we have been told that water may not be good as coal ash dumps and pig and chicken shit lagoons have been flooding into the rivers.

Comment

Medicane is one of the worst of the many bad portmanteau words in the modern world. Sounds like a fancy walking stick.

Anyway for the first time in modern history a Mediterranean hurricane (for that's what it is) is about to hit Greece and Turkey.

But climate change isn't a thing

Comment

https://twitter.com/nhc_surge/status/1049405164539576320?s=21

Comment

Damn! Another one. One of my best friends and his family live in Pensacola.

Comment

https://twitter.com/erickadameontv/status/1049855614850146304?s=21

Comment

My friend, you know the one who was here talking to all the neighbors? She lives in Santa Rosa Beach. They don't usually take a direct hit like this.

Comment

A question for our American chums:

When the order goes out to evacuate, what provision does the state (in either sense of the government) make to move people?

Or is everyone left to their own devices?

Comment

How bad has the damage been in Honduras and Cuba? BBC as usual only focussing on impending threat to the English speaking bits. I'm going to Roatan, Belize and Havana in February, any links yet to how badly they've been affected?

Comment

On the subject of "English Speaking Bits"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45809559

Comment

Guy, it depends a lot on what area is involved and what kind of resources local government has.

Generally, some provision will be made to establish shelters (often sports facilities) away from the area of danger and to arrange some buses for those without private vehicles. Provision will also generally be made for hospital and nursing home residents through a combination of medical and state authorities.

But the underlying assumption is that virtually everyone either has a vehicle or has access to one, which does in fact tend to be true for the large majority of people in Hurricane Country.

Incidentally, this mindset is one reason why a meaningful evacuation plan for New York City has never been established.

Comment

Rogin, some damage in Western Cuba, but no loss of life

Central America was not as fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Guy, it depends a lot on what area is involved and what kind of resources local government has.

Generally, some provision will be made to establish shelters (often sports facilities) away from the area of danger and to arrange some buses for those without private vehicles. Provision will also generally be made for hospital and nursing home residents through a combination of medical and state authorities.

But the underlying assumption is that virtually everyone either has a vehicle or has access to one, which does in fact tend to be true for the large majority of people in Hurricane Country.

Incidentally, this mindset is one reason why a meaningful evacuation plan for New York City has never been established.
                                  Other than it could well prove to be logistically impossible?

Comment

Isn't the high storm surge due to it running up the east coast of Florida, with anti-clockwise winds driving the sea up the beaches and coastlines?

Aren't most Florida hurricanes west coast jobs, and Gulf of Mexico usually further west towards New Orleans, Texas, and Mississippi?

Comment

New York City could be evacuated, but it would require massive resources, more time than we are ever likely to have and a superhuman level of patience from residents not usually known for that trait.

The evacuation plans for an accident at the nuclear power plant up the Hudson require several days, with the order of departure being decided based on first later of last name and last figure of number plate.

Yes on your recollections of the more common hurricane paths.
                                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-10-2018, 13:30.

Comment

The corner of Florida where the peninsula meets the panhandle is usually sheltered from taking a direct hit because of the geography. The storm would have to angle itself just right to hit it, which it what Michael appears to be doing. I hope my friend and her elderly dad make it through OK. I know they are smart enough to get out of harm's way, but losing your home and belongings can be devastating too.

Comment

This seems to have escalated rapidly, with 150mph winds and a central pressure down at a ridiculous 923mb. While my memories of Panama City Beach are not exactly the most positive (involving attempted price-gouging at a fondue restaurant on New Years Eve and a subsequent dinner from the worst Taco Bell in America, in one of the ugliest places on earth), I still wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hopefully, the eye will skirt to their east and hit the relatively less populated area.

Comment

Looks like we may get hit from behind by Michael.

Comment

Good luck, ahc. My friend had her.favorite maple tree slapped around pretty good, but no real damage to her property. It made landfall just to the east of where she is. She said she has to go into work early tomorrow because patients from three hospitals were being transferred to the one where she works in Pensacola.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                                Looks like we may get hit from behind by Michael.
                                                Will POTUS turn up if it hits a golf club do you reckon?

Comment

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1050401554279346176

Comment

My friends in Pensacola are alright. The tail of Michael is due to wag in about an hour.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X