No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the "main" storm won't arrive until lunchtime - blustery enough already!

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...=-9.255,52.579

Comment

Still warm at the moment, got home just before the worst of it is due

Comment

There is another one coming friday chaps...

The sunrise this morning was apocalyptic, a great red orbe...quite magnificent actually. The sky now is a strange color...

Comment

The pre-storm heat and quiet reminds me of my own experience with hurricanes, but the sun effects are new.

Is it just an extreme case of red sky at morning, sailors take warning? Or is there a more scientific explanation about?

Comment

Could be I suppose. Red sky at morning is reflected light from rain-bearing clouds over the horizon. A clear sky to the East wouldn't give you that.

Likewise, the sun looks redder the more atmosphere it needs to travel through, so if the air is moving particularly violently, or there's a lot of moisture in the air increasing density or even I guess if I lot of dust etc has been blown up into the upper atmosphere. Maybe the fires in Portugal, or a lot of Saharan sand?

Comment

Apparently it's a ton of Saharan sand and dust which has been drawn northwards.

Comment

Thanks, hobbes' explanation is the best I've read of something I first learned 55 years ago.

It is worth noting the fires in Portugal, which have killed 31 so far and are not yet under control.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                  Beautiful photo, VA, and thanks to hobbes for the scientific explanation.

It is a little warm out and a bit blustery but the sky has only started to cloud over in the last half hour or so.

You sure?

I thought it was high-altitude moisture trapped in the high pressure area to the west (at sunset) indicating good weather on the way

Or to the east indicating the high pressure area had passed, and a depression was probably moving in given the prevailing westerly winds.

Comment

Saharan dust is particularly striking in winter, in the mountains, when strong southerly winds occur, the ski slopes become a reddish hue (and turn into slop...)...

Comment

I only heard of the Portuguese fires about an hour ago.

More on the red skies: Saharan sand normally blows out into the Atlantic between the Canaries and Cape Verde on the prevailing sub-tropical easterlies; Ophelia - having pulled itself up from that part of the Atlantic seems to have drawn the sand with it. Here's a map of low-level dust concentration

Comment

Wilst Ophelia wreaks havoc in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the BBC's One o'clock news have sent a reporter to Kent to revisit sites from the storm of 1987 and Radio 4's World At One are taking a look at "Storm Phelia by taking look back at the storm of 87 which battered SE England" ... nope, they're not London/SE-centric in the slightest.

Comment

It's literally raised the roof at Cork City FC:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Independe...04279384739840

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                            Wilst Ophelia wreaks havoc in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the BBC's One o'clock news have sent a reporter to Kent to revisit sites from the storm of 1987 and Radio 4's World At One are taking a look at "Storm Phelia by taking look back at the storm of 87 which battered SE England" ... nope, they're not London/SE-centric in the slightest.
                            Similarly:
                            Originally posted by The BBC
                            An "unusual" reddish sky and red-looking sun have been reported across parts of England. The phenomenon has been seen in the South West, West Midlands, North West and North East.
                            In Wales, apparently, such things were not regarded worthy of note, presumably because we're considered used to seeing a dragon devour the sun or whatever it is.

More seriously, it seems to have been a combination of the factors others have noted:
                            BBC weather presenter Simon King said it was due to the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia dragging in tropical air and dust from the Sahara.

He added that debris from forest fires in Portugal and Spain was also playing a part.

The dust has caused shorter wavelength blue light to be scattered, making it appear red.

He said: "Ophelia originated in the Azores where it was a hurricane and as it tracked its way northwards it dragged in tropical air from the Sahara."

This meant dust from the Sahara was brought with it, he said.
                            Much more seriously, one person has been killed by a falling tree in Waterford already.
                            Last edited by Various Artist; 16-10-2017, 13:24.

Comment

Sad to hear about the lady killed in Waterford, hopefully there'll be no more fatalities, though the usual moronic swimmers surfers and kite surfers are trying for a nomination for the Darwin awards, the grandstand damage in Cork is going to affect the end of the league, Cork were expected to win the league against Derry tomorrow night, they are due to play relegation threatened St Patricks Athletic on Friday who were no doubt hoping to catch them in relaxed mode having spent the week celebrating.

Comment

Very eerie sky right now in London.

Comment

Is this it? It’s very windy (but not constant) in inner city south Dublin and bright and sunny. This is very weird. There are still bampots walking about and driving as well.

Comment

There’s some arsewipe cycling up the road just now.

Comment

Sound of aircraft coming into/pulling away from Dublin now. Would have thought everything from choppers up would have been grounded. Might have been a helicopter, but think it was a plane.

Comment

Very eerie sky right now in London.
                                        Proper weird, isn't it?

Comment

I take that back. Just been out to have a look. It's like Bladerunner out there.
                                          You can actually see streams of dust in the clouds. It's well beyond weird.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            It's like Bladerunner out there. It's well beyond weird.
                                            It's certainly well beyond weird. As for the Bladerunner thing I've seen that three or four times over the past couple of hours. Am I the only one who doesn't know what that actually means?

Comment

Now a massive dirty grey massif seems to be rolling in from the wesht. It’s still sunny over my shoulder in my worryingly creaky glass eyrie. Mibees first proper rain of the day, though by all accounts it’s Galway that’s now bearing the brunt.

Comment

Thanks to Ophelia I got a day off work today. Arrived at seven at work to found a notice that due to severe weather the building is closed today.

Now it is getting very windy and rainy and 20 ago the fence in our back garden gave way. It doesn't feel like a hurricane but it is very windy now, better to stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                  It's certainly well beyond weird. As for the Bladerunner thing I've seen that three or four times over the past couple of hours. Am I the only one who doesn't know what that actually means?
                                                  This year's most famous movie still.

Comment

Very weird sky here as well, about 50 miles from London. I realise how ridiculous it is for me to be commenting on the sky when others on here have the worst of the weather to endure. All the best to all of you.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X