Better on ITV than the BBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can only think of Hale & Pace - h&p@bbc was SHIIIIIIIIIT...

Whereas on ITV it was only SHIIIIT?

Comment

1.Formula 1.
      2. Err…
      3. That's it!
      4. Ed

Comment

The National Lottery draw, I guess. It does not belong on a public sector channel.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Whereas on ITV it was only SHIIIIT?
          They were wildly inconsistent but at least had their moments working with LWT.

And Guy, how was F1 better on ITV? They didn't even care enough not to have ad breaks during the race!

Comment

Kenny Everett

Comment

Ad breaks aside, the overall package of F1 coverage was definitely better on ITV when they started showing it in the late 90s. More pre and post race coverage, better presentation, more general programming.

Though it did later stagnate horribly and the return to the BBC in 2009 brought about another big improvement.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote:
                Originally posted by Ginger Yellow
                Whereas on ITV it was only SHIIIIT?
                They were wildly inconsistent but at least had their moments working with LWT.

And Guy, how was F1 better on ITV? They didn't even care enough not to have ad breaks during the race!
                Murray Walker actually went to Malaysia, rather than a broom cupboard in Maida Vale?

The whole set up was more professional and focused.

(And that was with the constraints of having to cut to ad breaks)

Comment

Cycling.

BBC usually use the easily confused Hugh Porter for the World Championships and the other races they get; ITV have an excellent team (which they mostly inherited from C4).

Edit - ah, apparently Porter had been replaced by Simon Brotherton. Still, ITV do have the better team, experience, etc.

Comment

I much preferred the Election Night coverage on ITV. The BBC could barely disguise their glee. Tom Bradby on ITV probably votes Tory, but was trying to be even-handed. He had quite a nice light touch too.

Comment

Aside from small doses of their 'The Management' routine for C4's Saturday Live, Hale & Pace were pretty desperate whichever channel broadcast them.

I tend to watch ITV news programmes, since I get fed up of the BBC1 HD resorting to that red screen nonsense as soon as it's time to go to the regions.

Comment

How bad was the Management as a full-length sitcom.

Good themetune, mind. The closing credits, version I mean.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: How bad was the Management as a full-length sitcom.

Good themetune, mind. The closing credits, version I mean.
                          Not as bad as Dalziel and Pascoe on ITV.

Comment

Thankfully I never saw that.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                              Thankfully I never saw that.
                              It's on youtube.

Hilarious gags like a foreign chef called Typhus.

Comment

There are generic programmes that ITV did better: Tiswas was better than Swap Shop; Magpie was arguably better than Blue Peter. This assumes they were trying to do similar things, which may or may not be the case.

I think ITV may have done Speedway better, and horse racing equally as well apart from the BBC having the really big races back in the 80s (Grand National, Derby).

ITV's rugby union World Cup coverage wasn't bad in the Nineties IIRC, perhaps felt more modern than the Beeb's ultra-traditional approach.

Comment

I suppose you could say they did Saturday evenings better than the BBC back in the day, simply by not having fucking Noel Edmonds.

Comment

I really cannot believe that anyone felt Magpie was 'better' than Blue Peter.

Comment

Agree on horse racing. Though the BBC had the best commentator (Peter O'Sullivan), ITV's commentators were good too and they put together a much better all round package. You had John McCrirrick to give a sense of the betting ring (BBC just read out the prices with no sense of where they came from) but also heavyweight students of form like Jim McGrath. And the ITV Six, with people betting on horses at different meetings, was how most people experienced racing at home. Though the BBC was very good at giving a sense of a "day out" for eg Aintree.

Comment

Morecambe and Wise moved to ITV from the Beeb in the biggest case of mojo-losing in television comedy, although, in fairness, Eric's faltering health was a factor in the dilution of their comic power. I think Dave Allen also made the same leap, where he became shouty and obvious. Having Phil Jupitus as part of a scriptwriting team behind him possibly hints at the gradual lack of trademark subtlety he once wielded.

Comment

And, at its height, Tiswas was better than most things on TV, never mind Swap Shop.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: I suppose you could say they did Saturday evenings better than the BBC back in the day, simply by not having fucking Noel Edmonds.
                                            They had Michael Barrymore and Cilla Black.

Comment

ITV used to go with Punchlines and Bottle Boys in the crucial early Saturday evening slots.

Comment

Bottle Boys. Written by Vince 'Love Thy Neighbour' Powell. Starring Robin Askwith.

I can barely remember it. Which is good.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: I think ITV may have done Speedway better, and horse racing equally as well apart from the BBC having the really big races back in the 80s (Grand National, Derby).
                                                  It's actually surprising how many of British racing's top meets were on commercial broadcasters long before O'Sullevan hung up his microphone let alone when the BBC gave up the ghost all together in 2012.
                                                  I believe all the flat classics were on ITV during the first half of the 80's (the Shergar 1981 Derby certainly was) and coverage then shifted to C4 when World Of Sport was given the elbow. The BBC eventually wrestled The Derby back at some point but the Guineas and the St Leger have remained on commercial TV ever since.
                                                  Cheltenham was lost to C4 in the mid 90's and it was really only Ascot, The National and probably Goodwood which they clung on to till the bitter end.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X