The Ladies Excuse Me: WC 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this four years ago for the 2011 Final.

It certainly goes to show the respect Lloyd got as a kid. About Heather O'Reilly, Tobin Heath, and Carli, Naimo said "They were all different," Naimo said. "Heather's the winner. Tobin's the gym rat. And Carli's the ... 'where'd you come from?' "

She was seen as a jabroni as a kid, my players always couldn't believe that she was a national team player when they housed her in tournaments, she was always in Boo Schubert's shadow at Delran, played for a medicore Rutgers team that only had a 2-1 defeat to UNC as a calling card, was bullied by Wambach and trashed by Pia...and figured out a way to win 2 gold medals and a World Cup final in what will be remembered as a standard in any final any time for the rest of human history. It will be the standard. It is the bar.

It's like that for a lot of us in New Jersey. Bob Bradley. Mike Romeo. Tim Mulqueen. Charlie Naimo. Tony Zea. We were dogs trying to catch the car. We caught it and shook it and flipped it over.

Now what?

Myself, I had a daughter who hates soccer. I've signed her up for figure skating lessons.

All of my hours and years and decades watching thousands of hours of videos and leagues and coaching and learning...I've forgotten most of it. I have a pretty good idea of what it's like to die and have all of that knowledge disappear.

At least last night was heaven.

Comment

I realised today that the teams finishing 1,2 and 3 all have summer seasons and hence were half way through their seasons, whereas Germany and France have just finished long seasons. Germany in particular were missing important players and Marodzan wasn't anywhere near full fitness. So I wonder if there will be any call for summer football in Europe after this.

Comment

Back in 2007 I claimed multiple times on the old board (apparently the only person who even mentioned her there) that Carli Lloyd would carry the US to World Cup victory...

sooooo, it just took 8 years and 3 chances to come true.

Much talk before and during the the lunchtime pick-up games about the USWNT and the cup in general. Nice to hear.

Comment

Anyone else find the attendance spike in WPL games this weekend really interesting? The world cup effect apparently.

Comment

I caught Canada v Ecuador Pan Am game at the weekend. Canada fielding a U23 team comfortably won 5–2, in spite of a late red card. Today they face Costa Rica, but the the biggest test in their group will be Brazil, who are expected to play their WC team, minus Marta.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Anyone else find the attendance spike in WPL games this weekend really interesting? The world cup effect apparently.
              This weekend was certainly that, but there was already a general trend upwards. Average attendance nearly doubled from 2013 to 2014 and was doing so again in the early part of 2015 anyway.

Notts County must be ever so slightly livid by the scheduling. They have three straight away games, with their next home one being on a Wednesday night, the week after the Cup Final (at Wembley on 1st August, tickets still available). Then again, they need the uptick the least. They were the best supported team in the competition anyway by a fair margin, having draw crowds of 2k and 1.6k before the World Cup break.

Comment

Janik wrote: They were the best supported team in the competition anyway by a fair margin
                How depressing.

Comment

Celia Sasic has retired from football aged 27.

She's two months younger than me, and I've not entirely abandoned my dreams of playing football internationally.

Comment

What a loss.

I see that she wants to continue her studies and raise a family.

A number of the US women have done so successfully by taking sabbaticals from the game. I can't help but think that the traditionally less than friendly German attitude towards working mothers has something to do with Sasic's decision.

Comment

Mind you Lauren Holiday has retired from USWNT duties at a similar age, for the same reasons.

She'll be staying at KC until the end of the season but it's not clear whether she'll be around beyond that point.

Then again, it must have been kind of wearing playing out of position for so much of your international career.

Comment

That's true, though I understand that Holiday's financial situation is much more comfortable than Sasic's (her husband makes more than USD 9 million a year in the NBA).

In any case, they are both a loss to the game.

Thought-provoking post on the USWNT and NWSL

Comment

At least Sasic is young enough to make a comeback. She could always knock out a couple of kids and come out of retirement at 31 or 32.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: That's true, though I understand that Holiday's financial situation is much more comfortable than Sasic's (her husband makes more than USD 9 million a year in the NBA).

In any case, they are both a loss to the game.

Thought-provoking post on the USWNT and NWSL
                            Keeping up the theme of better news from England, the FA have announced that they have sold over 24000 tickets for the Cup Final so it is going to be a record attendance, and are hopeful of of hitting their target of filling Wembley's lower tier, which would mean 34000+
                            However, one thing from that article - the author is hoping for an uplift of 1500 to 3000 in NWSL crowds on the back of the World Cup. Those record 'swarming' FAWSL crowds averaged around 1500. The combined crowd of all the games was nowhere near 10000.

Comment

Nigeria crash out of Olympic qualification to Equatorial Guinea

http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/08/03/nigeria-womens-soccer-no-olympics-rio-2016/

Comment

Chicago Red Stars head coach Rory Dames went so far as to suggest that there was little incentive for players to be supportive of a league that will only generate more competition for spots in the national team. This is particularly disappointing if true, as top level athlete’s would generally be expected to thrive on competition, not shy away from it.

I was thinking about this a few weeks back. The NT players have a stable salary, and more chances to train and develop chemistry. If you're not in, it's that much harder to get in.

I don't have any answers other than doubleheaders with MLS teams.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: Chicago Red Stars head coach Rory Dames went so far as to suggest that there was little incentive for players to be supportive of a league that will only generate more competition for spots in the national team. This is particularly disappointing if true, as top level athlete’s would generally be expected to thrive on competition, not shy away from it.

I was thinking about this a few weeks back. The NT players have a stable salary, and more chances to train and develop chemistry. If you're not in, it's that much harder to get in.

I don't have any answers other than doubleheaders with MLS teams.
                                  That's a really interesting point. It's been really disappointing how the USWNT stars have been lukewarm towards the existence of professional football.

I think women's football suffers generally from disparity between well-funded national-team programmes and underfunded club football. It creates situations where dropping a player is tantamount to sacking them (with no prospect of getting an equivalent-level job).

That in turn leads to inequity as talented uncapped players find it difficult to break through - they almost have to wait until an incumbent retires.

Comment

Working...
                                  X