The Ladies Excuse Me: WC 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0–0 HT in the opener between Canada and China. Could well end that way too. The Chinese bus is well and truly parked. The only chances they've had have come from a couple of nervy mistakes by Sesselman at CB. One resulting free kick hit both posts with McLeod beaten.

After watching the CL final earlier, I'd say the most striking difference between the best women players in the world and the best men, is that the men spend more time at the hairdressers.

Comment

I am watching the Canada/China and the elephant in the room is that it is a quite awful game. It has that pace that people seem to love about the EPL but that it is it. I haven't seen more than two consecutive successful passes.

Contradicting AdC, the game suffers greatly from being after the CL final but the only difference between the games is that the CL final was played by much much better players.

Comment

That's harsh on China.

Comment

50k fans announced in Edmonton, decent turnout but just short of a sellout.

It's really bad timing to have the opener in the same day as the biggest game of the year.

A lot of shots taken from completely closed angles by team Canada, not enough teamwork in the box.

1-0 on a PK in stoppage time, with perfect placement by Sinclair just inside the left post and barely out of reach of the chinese GK who had guessed right. The penalty is deserved, the ref was at the right position to judge.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: That's harsh on China.
            The penalty? Yes, indeed, This match deserved 0-0 all the way through. Terrible terrible game.

Comment

Well done ref, keep the hosts happy.

Comment

Really harsh. Home team call by the referee. Canada did not play well at all. Have to hope it's just big occasion nerves.

Comment

Fuck off Canada. Terrible country.

Comment

Yes technically it was a cut below the better games from the last world cup.

Comment

(Watching the BBC) why is it Ivory Coast for the women but Cote D'Ivoire for the men?

Comment

That's a bit of a blanket statement there BLT...

Comment

Down there with Australia IMO.*

*obviously not geographically.

Comment

nmrfox wrote: (Watching the BBC) why is it Ivory Coast for the women but Cote D'Ivoire for the men?
                            The Beeb seem to go with Ivory Coast for the men as well.

Comment

linus wrote: Yes technically it was a cut below the better games from the last world cup.
                              Several cuts I'd say. In fact it looked as if someone had taken a machete to it. But opening matches of World Cups are often cautious, mistake-ridden affairs so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Aside from nerves, the only (lame) excuse I can come up with for Canada's performance is that this Chinese team was largely an unknown quantity. New Zealand — the next opponent — Herdman coached in the last two WC's so that explanation is off the table.

Comment

Quite a goal from Martens in the NZL/NED game. Quality strike.

Comment

I'd venture that the move to 24 teams is going to make the group phase more boring, because if you play cautiously there's a good chance you'll get through as one of the third placed teams. Those first two games were very disappointing in terms of both pace and quality, and a reflection of the watering down of the tournament through unnecessarily expanding by another eight teams.

Excellent decision on the Canada penalty, by the way. Ref was perfectly positioned to see a violent elbow that floored the opponent. It would have been a foul on any part of the pitch, so I don't understand why anyone would view it as "harsh". A foul doesn't become less of a foul because it's committed in the penalty area, and well done to the ref for having the courage to give it so late in the game with the score at 0-0. But no, let's blame the ref for the Chinese player's stupidity at having committed the foul in the penalty area.

Comment

I called it as harsh because the Canadian player seemed to manipulate the contact, moving towards the players arm before falling to the ground. The type of challenge that has Alan Shearer squealing about there being contact.

Comment

Much in the same way that a murderer's defence lawyer might claim that the victim impaled himself on the accused's kitchen knife, 27 times. Backwards. (Old Les Dawson joke.]

Comment

*pushes false breast back in place *

Comment

Violent elbow? Was it bollocks.

Comment

At the time I thought Leon fighting hard for possession (more power to her) had run into the Chinese players extended arm. It's one of those decisions that might just as easily have been called as not. Within the context of the match it seemed tough.

Comment

The Hope Solo saga is far from over.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I am watching the Canada/China and the elephant in the room is that it is a quite awful game.
                                                What makes that an 'elephant in the room' exactly?

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Violent elbow? Was it bollocks.
                                                  No, it was definitely the elbow.

Comment

Yeah. There weren't many bollocks on the pitch yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X