Justine Greening/ Continuity Gove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
    By the way, I was in the RAF, but I we all look the same.....(smiley winky)
    Different hat, surely? Feathers?

Yeah I actually knew that. No idea why I wrote army.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
      I have to cut and paste another tweet tag, and change the URL of the tweet. So don't ask me!
      It's OK now, Snake kindly came to my rescue, thanks anyway.

(problem was that I didn't know what to put inside the Tweet tags that Ursus told me to use for embedding a tweet, Snake gave me a template, I'll give it to you if you want, can't remember what it is now and not sure where I've put it... I think it was sthg like that: [tweet] [\tweet] It's somewhere in my office downstairs, which is very messy atm but I'll find it for you if you want, giz us a shout).

Comment

The second one needs a proper backslash, not a reverse backslash.

The link to the tweet goes in between, and you must use "Go Advanced". "Quick Reply" does not allow for embedding tweets.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
          It's not that ex-service folk in teaching is a bad thing, but there's no reason why they would be more likely to be a good thing, at least in the area of discipline.
          This. I have absolutely nothing against ex-services personnel teaching, far from it. There was a guy I was on the PGCE with who was the only one a similar age to me and I see him regularly at school and he seems to be progressing very well. The issue is the idea that, in any way, being in the armed forces makes you a better teacher per se and, due to that, you need less training time.

It is similar to this idea that there should be more males persuaded to get into teaching because it would be better for boys in school. Complete bollocks - I have seen female teachers teach and manage male pupils brilliantly and make teachers that are completely ineffectual with them. If I were to be critical of my own behaviour management, I probably fall down in my treatment of boys. The reasons that more men should be persuaded to enter teaching are to balance gender inequality, to widen the potential recruitment pool and to engender in children - especially boys - the idea that teaching is a male and female sector in order to perpetuate the former two reasons.

Comment

@warwickmansell
            Follow Follow @warwickmansell
            More
            Exclusive: Government writes off nearly £7m in academy debts:
            Link is to a site you have to register for. But Warwick is reliable, if he says so, it's happening.

I still keep wanting to call him Warwick Davis.

Comment

Unbelievably, Toby Young is still considered OK for the New Schools Network, and the New Schools Network good enough to fulfil a government contract.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-network-role

Comment

You'd think that the fact no one else is interested in supporting free school applicants might indicate the policy is dying or dead, but no. Ideological fucking man-mentals

Comment

Yeah. Roger O spotted ages ago that lots of the new free schools were academies.

Young was very useful to the government in being a visible parent founding a school.

Comment

"Speaking on behalf of every single parent in Britain … "

Comment

And on behalf of every academy chain chancer too.

Comment

Things not all bad today.

Toby Young has stepped down from his government-funded job as head of a charity supporting new free schools, blaming the pressure of media attention.

The journalist’s decision to leave the New Schools Network follows the controversy that erupted earlier this year when Young was appointed a director of the universities regulator, which catapulted his lurid comments on women and eugenics into the public spotlight.

Young’s resignation as chief executive of the NSN – for which he was paid £90,000 a year according to the charity’s accounts – came after the Guardian revealed the Department for Education’s reluctance to renew the charity’s grant while Young remained at its helm.

In spite of its reservations, the DfE is expected to renew the grant to the NSN, previously worth around £3m, after no other applicants responded to the department’s tender last month, leaving it with little choice.

In a statement posted on its website on Friday, the NSN said: “The trustees of New Schools Network announced that Toby Young has resigned. Toby has concluded that the media attention his continuing presence at the helm of NSN is attracting has become a distraction from the vital work it is doing and, for that reason, he has decided to step down.”

The trustees said it would announce a replacement “in due course,” and concluded: “The trustees are grateful for Toby’s work during his time here and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

Comment

But fuck me. £3m for the New Schools Network?!

That could be done by the DfE.

Comment

Just seen this.

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2018/...010-manifesto/

Scrapbook has come into possession of images taken of Osborne’s draft manifesto from 2010, held in the Conservative Party Archives in Oxford.
                            In the Education section, the draft manifesto reads:

“By making these changes, we will improve standards for all pupils, closing the attainment gap between the richest and poorest students.“
                            In his annotations though, Mr Osborne circled the line “close the attainment gap”, and wrote:
                            “do we want to commit to that?”

Comment

Comment

From a couple of days ago.

Toby Young finally off the governing body of his school's trust.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/20...other-job.html

Comment

The obsession with (ex)soldiers making better teachers reaches its (il)logical apogee.

Comment

Service guarantees citizenship!

Comment

That didn't go very well last time. The military free school in Oldham had to be pulled by Gove because it was such an obvious disaster waiting to happen.

I probably showed you this before, but I found its SEN policy, and passed it on to the good folk here.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.u...l-needs-policy

Comment

I'm wondering why we need soldiers- I thought Harris and all those were already providing this no excuses education. Surely those schools couldn't be kicking out difficult kids to get their results up, could they?

Comment

My school is becoming an academy and setting up a unit to do exactly the same thing Tubby.

But I'm just cynical as it's obviously being done for the children. Think of the poor children.

Comment

I bet the name of that unit is a bit of Orwellian genius.

Comment

Government unveils controversial plans for testing four-year-olds

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...y_to_clipboard

I really should have put this on the wtf thread. Bonkers.

Comment

Nick Gibb is never far away from this stuff.

Comment

Of course there's already testing for 5-year-old in the form of end of EYFS assessments. In a way, these new things could be less difficult for the children as there's no pressure on the schools to produce high outcomes. The opposite in fact. It's one of those things that were it to be well researched (it hasn't been), introduced in a non-cack-handed fashion (it has been), by people you would trust not to fuck you over (...), could be useful.

There's a compelling logic behind getting teachers to assess the attainment of reception children in order to measure progress. The problems, as always will be firstly, how relevant will the criteria be and secondly, what will be done with the 'data'*. Calling it 'testing 4 year-olds' is slightly disingenuous; in fact any good reception teacher will be forming (and reforming, and refining...) judgements about children from T1 already. It's called watching them to see what they can do. I confess, I don't see how it necessarily puts pressure on children any more than middle-class and aspiring parents already do. Unless, I suppose, that it will become a 'measure' of pre-school's effectiveness and pressure them to become more formally focussed.

Sad story: an ambitious, go-getting head teacher I know visited a high-profile academy in That London to look at a phonics programme. She reported that in the attached pre-school unit, some of the toddlers were getting formal phonics teaching. "Poor little fuckers," (or somesuch) said I. "Oh no," she replied, "they were able to do it."

Point. Missed.

*For OTFers unfamiliar with the current system, it works like this: at 5, a child is tested to see how far it can jump; the child is next assessed, at 7, for swimming. If good jumpers can't do the butterfly, the school is failing.

Comment

lots os money to be made producing the literature then training teachers how to beat the test

Comment

Working...
                                                    X