X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/solomonhugh...a4O#.kj6ZRnwd7

Toby Young Has Lost Another Job In Education
    Exclusive: The University of Buckingham wrote to Young this week to tell him that he no longer held a post as a Visiting Fellow.
    Still got the big job at the New Schools Network, but that might not be for too long. The Education Select Committee Chair (Robert Halfon, a fairly "populist" Tory) isn't impressed and I don't think Young would survive a grilling there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
      Oh dear.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/solomonhugh...a4O#.kj6ZRnwd7

Still got the big job at the New Schools Network, but that might not be for too long. The Education Select Committee Chair (Robert Halfon, a fairly "populist" Tory) isn't impressed and I don't think Young would survive a grilling there.
      Halfon is also a man with a disability who was not at all happy at the eugenics and disability bullshit Young was playing to his contrarian gallery of public school bullies at the Spectator

Comment

I didn't know that about Halfon. I've never liked him because of his "fair fuel" stuff, which has since 2010 pissed away more than the cost of HS2. But I'll forgive him that if he forces Tobes out.

Comment

Gove vanity project waste (part 502). These are the schools that recruit from 14 and concentrate on technical education. If you're wondering who'd take their kids out of a general education in a comprehensive, and narrow their options down, the answer is "not enough people".

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/revealed-l...-funding-back/

Almost all university technical colleges missed their recruitment targets and were overpaid by the government last year, leaving them with a combined debt of over £11 million, Schools Week can reveal.

In fact the Education and Skills Funding Agency is attempting to claw cash back from 39 of 44 UTCs still open in 2016-17.

Alarmingly, 15 of them – owing a combined total of £5.7 million – couldn’t afford to refund the cash on the ESFA’s usual timescale, and one even admitted it would be three years before the government would get all its money back.

Comment

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-direct...t-allegations/

A charity fundraising dinner run by a Department for Education director and academy trust founder has been rocked by allegations of inappropriate sexual behaviour by guests, following an undercover investigation by journalists.

A story by the Financial Times, published earlier today, revealed allegations of “groping, sexual harassment and propositioning” of women hired as “hostesses” for the Presidents Club Charity Dinner, which took place at London’s Dorchester Hotel last Thursday.

David Meller, a non-executive director at the Department for Education and founder of the Meller Educational Trust who was made a CBE in the new year’s honours list, is co-chair of the charitable trust that runs the event.

Nadhim Zahawi, the newly-appointed children’s minister, is also understood to have been in attendance, but left early, according to reports.

According to the FT, which sent two reporters to work undercover as hostesses, the 130 women hired to work at the men-only event were “told to wear skimpy black outfits with matching underwear and high heels”.

Hostesses “reported men repeatedly putting hands up their skirts, and one “said an attendee had exposed his penis to her during the evening”.

Comment

Zahawi left early... which was odd because apparently he'd been there in previous years.

Comment

He's gone.

David Meller, the co-chair of the controversial Presidents Club charity dinner that has been rocked by allegations of sexual harassment by guests, has resigned from the Department for Education’s board.

Comment

It's supposed to be "Secret Teacher" but the Status Quo reference rather gives it away. Sub-editors are remarkable, aren't they?

Comment

Interesting here. Huge polarization in results by academy chain schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...oubt-on-system

Who could have seen this coming, eh?

Not enough competent chains, and those that are competent don't want to take over too many sink schools.

Comment

Harris had one of their schools record a negative Progress 8 score, the one in Peckham.

These are the results for all of the schoolsin London, some interesting results in there.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...50671.html?amp

Comment

Cheers.

I wonder if word could be getting around that Harris isn't the place to work, even for a year "for my CV"?

Comment

A negative for Ark too- Burlington Danes.

Tobes Towers gets 0.02.

Comment

A proud moment, in these prudent and austere times: Harris Federation chief suit Sir Dan Moynihan smashes the £500,000 individual pay barrier.

Warwick Mansell's Twitter thread here has the details

Comment

Yeah and meanwhile pupil support and TA's are on between 7 and 8 quid an hour.

Comment

If they're even keeping their jobs

Comment

Indeed.

What's happening at my son's school is they are not replacing them when they invariably quit to work at Tesco, or somewhere with similar pay, but less hassle.

One and the same really though.

I'm not sure if I mentioned on here, but the Head Teacher approached the PTA to fund a mini-bus driver to the tune of 13k a year. After about a minutes debate and a vote, we said no.

Comment

Thousands of teachers caught cheating to improve exam results

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...y_to_clipboard

Interesting story but why are teachers having to cheat?

With many of the courses going to be exam based only and no coursework we're going to see a change in the cheating.

Comment

It looks like some of this is teachers involved with developing exams, who give the nod to colleagues.

Comment

Another one bites the dust.

The sponsor of Floreat Brentford Primary School, a free school in west London, has announced plans to close the school, citing problems with temporary buildings and “critically low” funding levels.

Floreat Education, the academy trust founded by the health minister and former David Cameron adviser Lord O’Shaughnessy, has today announced that it has put in a request with the Department for Education to close the free school by mutual consent, and that the department has agreed in principle to its request.
                                        O'Shaughnessy was a Policy Exchange-r. Not so easy in practice, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                          It looks like some of this is teachers involved with developing exams, who give the nod to colleagues.
                                          The instances I've heard of about this have been in private schools.

Comment

Yeah, I think the high profile ones have been private schools. Maybe it's the more "prestigious" schools whose teachers get involved with exams? Quite an opportunity for cheating.

Comment

Those schools have also used the use of extra time and scribes to their advantage iirc.

Comment

I don't know.

Looking upthread, I'm reminded of Mr Zahawi. He's kept his head down lately, hasn't he? Did he ever get cross-examined directly?

Comment

Oh dear.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...e-discontinued

A private university has decided to discontinue a course it billed as “the UK’s first PGCE to focus on ‘knowledge-based’ secondary and primary school teaching”.

Five months after BPP launched the course with great fanfare, tutors have been told that it will be closed to new entrants from next year, for "strategic reasons".
                                                  Note who is behind it.

Its programme director Mr Peal is a history teacher at the West London Free School who was seconded to the Department for Education in 2015-16 to support schools minister Nick Gibb with policy advice and speechwriting.

He told Tes last year that the creation of the PGCE was in response to a “surge of enthusiasm over the past few years for knowledge-based education”.
                                                  He also wrote the, er, controversial book "Progressively Worse". He's one of Gove's "young teachers" who steers clear of classrooms.

Comment

I don't get it - "knowledge-based" as opposed to what? I mean, I know that, if this government is behind it, it's a load of balls.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X