Next Labour Leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Labour Leader?

Ed fails by two seats, Cameron scurries off to the Queen with Nick and Nigel in the taxi.

Where (or who) do Labour go to after Miliband?

Next Labour Leader?

Looking in from the outside, it'll be Jim Murphy, no?

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Yvette Cooper? Her being married to Ed Balls might be a problem though, for multiple reasons.

Andy Burnham seems to have mastered that rare politician's trick of appearing comfortable in his own skin.

Apparently that Chukka Umunna fella is the hot tip from the next generation, but fuck that, I'm not having a labour leader younger than I am, not yet.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Miliband will be there for some time.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

I hoped that Jon Cruddas would stand after the last election, and I still think he'd be interesting.

Though surely Labour would win by a landslide if they can just get a leader who can plausibly stand against Trident and for rail nationalisation.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Yeah, I think Milliband will stay. He won't get hammered in the election and he has done quite well in this election in raising and improving his profile.

I was interested in Cruddas last time but he has done something to let himself down in the meantime and I can't remember what.

As for the "where", you would have thought that, with the rise of the smaller parties to the left of Labour, they might finally start realising that fighting the centre right ground is a busted flush and they need to get themselves leftward in order to put some distance between them and the ConDems which is putting so many voters off (or, at least, confusing them).

However, I have an idea that they will think that the Tories will go further to the right to appease 'Kippers and try and stay in the centre.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Jim Murphy's about to lead Labour in Scotland to their worst ever defeat. Whatever happens tomorrow - and I hope it results in a Labour-led UK government - he's a non-starter.

If we're gonna stroke our chins and be all "moderate", Burnham's the best realistic bet. Chuka Umunna would be bad news.

Cruddas is a dissembling bullshitter who bottles out of really bold and radical stuff.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

I'm partial to Burnham on substance, but it would also be cool to have shaken the hand of a future Prime Minister.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Burnham has been the best Shadow, and should be the frontrunner.

What isn't needed is another 6 month leadership contest, with most of the contenders barely doing their day jobs. Ed Balls was an honourable exception then, but he wasn't a good Education Secretary before. He had a decent go as Shadow Chancellor but gave up too easily in the face of Mediamacro.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Frontrunners with Will Hill:

Burnham
                    Cooper
                    Umuna
                    Dan Jarvis

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Bloody hell, there needs to be a good shadow Education secretary. Can't remember the last one.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Umuna can fuck off if he's not going to rule out sending his kids to private school.

Any signs of jealousy that he is over 10 years younger than me and looks 10 years younger than that are purely co-incidental.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

T Hunt is the best for some time, I think. He gets this mainly because he doesn't (yet) have his own type of school that he sees as the future. This sort of stuff leads to the tail wagging the dog.

You can also see him thinking about problems- Ofsted too powerful, teacher training poor etc. Whether he follows through on it remains to be seen. I'm hoping that if he's in power money will talk and standalone academies move closer to the LA.

My pal Marklu (DT) says best Education Secretary of last two decades was Gillian Shepherd, with Estelle Morris second.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

My mate used to teach with Estelle Morris's cousin. Seems she saw herself as effectively a senior bureaucrat rather than front-woman for the govt.

Is T.Hunt any relation to this guy, Muttley McLad (also real-named Tristram and from the Stoke/ Cheshire area?)

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Tubby Isaacs wrote: My pal Marklu (DT) says best Education Secretary of last two decades was Gillian Shepherd, with Estelle Morris second.
                              Morris is the one I always think of because she was an actual teacher unlike pretty much every education minister since I was at school and she got out when she realised that she wasn't going to get anything through.

I'd be interested to know why he thinks Shepherd.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Vote Duncan G. AARDNER wrote: Is T.Hunt any relation to this guy, Muttley McLad (also real-named Tristram and from the Stoke/ Cheshire area?)

No, firstly, his name was Tristan O'Neill and, secondly, he was in his 30's when I went to see them in my teens.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Bored of Education wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                  My pal Marklu (DT) says best Education Secretary of last two decades was Gillian Shepherd, with Estelle Morris second.
                                  Morris is the one I always think of because she was an actual teacher unlike pretty much every education minister since I was at school and she got out when she realised that she wasn't going to get anything through.

I'd be interested to know why he thinks Shepherd.
                                  She took over an utter shambles from John Patten, and all but said "sorry, it's been shit" straight off. I think she'd been a school inspector. I don't more why he rated her.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Odds for first to resign are Clegg, then Cameron, then Farage. So you might have to wait a while, Rogin.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Chukka Umana is such a prodigy he'll be in Downing Street and promoted to the House of Lords before he's out of short trousers.

I've been wanting to say that.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

I take it all back.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

WHat were those odds on Miliband again?

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Won't 2020 will be between two new leaders if Cameron decides he doesn't want a 3rd term?

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Whoever it is must come up with a strategy to recapture the centre. Right now, I'd vote for Yvette Cooper.

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

Recapturing Scotland

Comment

Next Labour Leader?

We need to win the argument in England as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X