Jimmy Greaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmy Greaves

garcia wrote: i was born after greaves retired and i never saw him play, but the player who first comes to mind when you watch him on youtube and see his instant acceleration and casual accuracy ... well for me it's lionel messi.

which is not to say greaves was as good all-round as messi, who will soon overtake him as the highest goalscorer in the five major leagues... but some of his work in the penalty area looks similar.
    I remember watching a show hosted by Dickie Davies with George best and possibly Alan Ball years ago.They were talking about the great goalscorers and Best remarked that Greaves was a "genius" in the box.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

Saint's softer image on S&G was an act to a large degree.

Judging by this, he was definitely anything but soft.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

satchmo76 wrote:
        Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
        Yeh, get well soon, mate.

Chelsea's finest ever home-grown player.
        I don't think they've had a better player even if you include imports and buys. Arguably Drogba, Makelele and Desailly might be level.
        Yes, very good point. He'd certainly be towards the very top.

Love the story about him and Bobby Moore after the latter's bracelet theft troubles before the 1970 World Cup.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

treibeis wrote: Saint's softer image on S&G was an act to a large degree.

Judging by this, he was definitely anything but soft.
          Hard player, St. John was, no mistake. First time I can recall seeing him in the number 9 shirt though.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

For some reason, I've never understood Greaves used to be on Central News on Friday, doing the sport with Gary Newbon. He was very watchable. I can remember him facing an over from Bob Willis, and he did pretty well.

(Weird that this scheduling lasted so long, because it was already understood that it pissed away half the audience away for the early evening).

Patrick Collins did a lovely interview with Greaves, where he went off on one about kids these days etc then apologised. Amazing to say, Greaves still came across as a good sort.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

For some reason, Greaves also had a stint as chief TV pundit on TV-am during the early nineties.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

He more or less disappeared from national ITV after Saint and Greavsie finished in 1992 and did several years on Central Match Live on Sunday afternoons. (Saint carried on nationally until France 98)

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

Greavsie did the co-commentating on the night that Man U won the European Cup Winners Cup back in 1991 and when I was watching the highlights a few years back on youtube his shameless homerism was really refreshing to hear.

Greavsie was a pundit for the man in the street, no airs and graces, no attempt to overcomplicate things or try and be sophisticated or clever. The man is an institution, a fixture from the good old days before pretentious wankers ruined the game with overanalysis.

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

Some good news

Comment

Jimmy Greaves

And more good news

Comment

Working...
                      X