Hi honey, I'm a world record holder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologise for the reductive title but I think that it is pertinent to the achievement.

A friend of Harry and mine has, like many other members of the World Famous 1927 club, taken to running in a big way and is pretty good at it. However, his wife came home the other day with the news that she had just broken the world record in powerlifting lifting 24 stone.

Bloody hell, fair play!

Comment

One of my colleagues is a GB international power lifter, who recently finished 6th at the European Championships in the -63kg class. Which, whilst good, obviously doesn't match a world record.
      On the other hand, it would appear that my colleague is significantly lighter than Thompson, but deadlifted more in that recent event (160kg to 152.5kg). But then there are so many categories and the like with Powerlifting that I find understanding the results sheets hard. Thompson's lift is certainly marked as a World Record here (she is listed last of the morning lifters, for anyone struggling to find her line).

I was looking it up to see how far off World Records Abi was, and am now just confused. Maybe it's better asking her directly, as she'll know what the targets are for her age and weight.

Oh, and one other thing about female international class powerlifters. If you are a a slightly weedy male scientist, don't challenge them to arm-wrestling contests. You'll lose, embarrassingly so. And thereby undermine your pet theory that the strongest women is still weaker than an average man. That guy has since left the company, which is probably the best for everyone.

Comment

Ha ha!

Comment

Bloody hell, that results sheet is confusing.

Comment

You can see why they colour coded things. Ms Thompson has an orange entry next to her name, so really nothing much else matters. Well, apart from the preceding green ones, which are [scans to the top] British records. She had a good day, it would seem.

Comment

So how many World records were set that day? It seems like quite a lot.

Comment

Doesn't it? And there was another bunch on the Sunday. One of those many, many categories and not a lot of competitors in each anywhere in the World type scenarios, I suspect. Hence all the new marks.
                Does that detract from the achievement a little? Yes and no. Not to her or her husband's face, that is for sure.

Comment

I imagine the World championships in Sicily may be the litmus test there.

One of the amazing things about the story is that she is doing this with only two training sessions a week and only 5 years experience (which is actually much more interesting than the mother with a full-time job doing an MBA element, as impressive as those are). Your friend may be competing with similarly little training.

It would appear that, as her coach suggests, she seems to be naturally built for it and, luckily enough, she found the sport. My ex-mentor on my PGCE was well into Power lifting and used to regale/intimidate me with a full run down of what she had lifted the night before. She was 52.

Comment

Abi goes to her club a little more often, I think. The details I know are vague, but trying to piece it together from what she has said my guess is around three times a week for a two or three hours sessions. I get the impression she wasn't all that natural to it and has made herself into the Sportswoman she now is. She certainly eats carefully, all protein and no carbs at all (when we order lunches for meetings there are three options, meat, veggie or Abi-style), plus some sports supplement powders that live in the kitchenette beside the office.

We get similar run downs on her recent lifts and competitions. Which are very interesting, I hasten to add.

Comment

As I alluded to in the opening post, it is akin to me with just two training sessions a week, breaking half-marathon records in 4 years' time. Actually it isn't even that as it looks like Polly was winning competitions and breaking Welsh records early on.

Now, I could eat right, stop drinking and possibly train much better but there is no way that I could even win the category in my age in the Bath half-marathon within 5 years, let alone win the whole thing with just two sessions a week (or even with more). Not only that but I guarantee that I couldn't have done it 10 younger which is roughly when Polly started. Even if I didn't have the niggling injuries that I have.

I mean, I know that half-marathon is a much bigger field than Powerlifting but, at the elite level, I doubt the field is a huge amount bigger.

Comment

PM, Bored.

Comment

Digging the powerlifting thread back up, as my colleague took part in an all-female group attempt to deadlift 1 million kilos within 24 hours last Saturday. It was a fundraising effort in support of Lincolnshire Rape Crisis.

The outcome was - they did it, finishing by 5:30pm. My colleague was only there for a couple of hours of the day, but she certainly did her bit, managing her personal target of lifting 20,000kg in that time ("comfortably" so apparently, which utilises a different definition of the word comfortable than would apply to most). I think the word is staggering, in every possible sense it conveys.

Comment

That reminds me about another old thread I wanted to disinter that you contributed to, Janik.

Comment

Working...
                            X