FC United of Newcastle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FC United of Newcastle?

Such is the anger against Ashley, that it's reportedly under serious consideration.

FC United of Newcastle?

Would that it were: I'm not sure an article in The Mag is representative of serious consideration, given that they seem to publish anything and everything ever since going online.

Nothing I've ever experienced in my time supporting NUFC would suggest there is either the political motivation or practical unity required to make it that realistic.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Plus, it's hardly a proven route for success when it comes to removing your club's owners.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Isn't the difference that Ashley would sell the club given a decent offer, whereas the Glazers won't?

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

The comments section below it seems to indicate that it might not be as crazy as it first seems - not that this is necessarily going to be representative, of course. Good luck to them, if they do.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

The Glazers would sell the club for a decent offer. Just there may be a difference of opinion on what constitutes a decent offer.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Why don't they all go and watch Gateshead instead?

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Paul S wrote: Why don't they all go and watch Gateshead instead?
                WAHEY!

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Yes, where would be the fun in that?

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Given how many professional clubs are terribly mismanaged, alienate their fans, are owned by scumbags or lurch from crisis to crisis, why is it only Manchester United fans that broke away and formed their own club?

I know there's clubs like AFC Liverpool or Maine Road FC but there's not really an equivalent to FC United.

Wimbledon didn't really have a choice and similarly non-league clubs like Enfield Town, 1874 Northwich and Bromsgrove Sporting don't quite apply either.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Time and place and people. United fans had plans to set something up when Murdoch was making moves to take it over in 98. Those were put on hold.

Short answer - United fans had been organising politically since about 1991, and so by the time of the Glazers, had enough people actively ready to go.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Their season ticket holders get in half price at Gateshead anyway whereas ours dont. Ive half a mind to contact 'Kick It Out".

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Why don't Enfield Town apply?

Surely Enfield Town are the only other fan-owned club to form while their original club existed? (and indeed still do)

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Yup, DA. They're the Neues Forum in all this.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Given how many professional clubs are terribly mismanaged, alienate their fans, are owned by scumbags or lurch from crisis to crisis, why is it only Manchester United fans that broke away and formed their own club?

I know there's clubs like AFC Liverpool or Maine Road FC but there's not really an equivalent to FC United.

Wimbledon didn't really have a choice and similarly non-league clubs like Enfield Town, 1874 Northwich and Bromsgrove Sporting don't quite apply either.
                              There is an FC Nomads of Connah's Quay, which I find fascinating. I think it's the brainchild of ex-local ref, Nomads committee man and celebrated toupee wearer Bobby Hunter.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

David Agnew wrote: Why don't Enfield Town apply?

Surely Enfield Town are the only other fan-owned club to form while their original club existed? (and indeed still do)
                                No, there's a few. The three I listed, for example.

Both Enfield and Northwich Victoria fans were facing the prospect of a spell in exile with no guarantees of ever returning. Breaking away was still a brave decision, but a new sustainable club in Enfield was ipso facto preferable to a financially precarious club one(?) tier further up playing ten or twenty miles away.

You don't have the same culture shock; Champions League to NW Counties. And again, it's the size of the schism in relation to the existing entity. The majority of Enfield fans, of Bromsgrove fans, of Northwich Victoria fans agreed to the split. If a fanbase defines a club, the club was carried on by the new entity in each of those cases - morally, if not legally.

FC United is unique in that the fans founding the new club were a small minority of the fanbase of the existing club.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

caja-dglh wrote: The Glazers would sell the club for a decent offer. Just there may be a difference of opinion on what constitutes a decent offer.
                                  Yeah, fair point, but I suspect a change of ownership at Manchester United wouldn't alter the running of the club significantly, whereas at Newcastle United I suspect it would.

If you start a breakaway club because you you're disillusioned with the long-term direction of your club, then fair enough, but if you're starting a new club solely because you don't like the current chairman, then I'm not so sure.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

I am very much in favour. Very much.

Comment

FC United of Newcastle?

That's true, Stumpy. You would have to guess whoever was prepared to pull a 2 billion pound deal on Manchester United would be a hardened capitalist.

Comment

Working...
                                      X