Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. If only it had happened five or six years ago, it could genuinely have been something special.

Comment

Just watched it, age has taken far more out of Pacquiao than it has Mayweather. Manny just looked happy to be there for much of it and was getting out-punched at times as well as unsurprisingly out-manouvered.

Would have liked the referee to have acted on Mayweather's holding but don't think it would have come anywhere near changing the result. He's a phenomenal boxer but you'd have to be a far bigger student of the sport (and have a far higher tolerance for despicable cuntitude) than me to find him very watchable.

Comment

All too predicable, by the sound of it. Glad I missed it.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Just watched it, age has taken far more out of Pacquiao than it has Mayweather.

Well yeah, that was obvious before the fight, and its the only reason the fight was able to go ahead. If there had been any strong prospect of Manny winning, Floyd would still be dodging. He basically delayed until Manny gave up on the fight, had a couple of Wars with Marquez instead, and then when Manny had one foot out of the door, offered him the fight. Floyd snr's comments about the Marquez fight pretty much back that up.

Comment

Of course, one of Mayweather's greatest talents is matchmaking. Even allowing for what we knew about Manny fading, the extent to which his punching power and volume has diminished was a surprise.

Not forgetting he's actually nearly two years younger than Mayweather, though his style and greater number of fights has taken a lot more out of him.

Comment

Mayweather makes Roy Jones look like an innocent abroad when it comes to picking and choosing his fights. He didn't fight Pacquiao, Mosley, Cotto or De La Hoya until they were all coming to the end. He fought certain other boxers at certain very specific weights to make sure he won. And He dodged Casamayor, Margarito, Barrera and Morales altogether.

Comment

Actually, I'm wrong about Casamayor. He did the dodging in that case, not Mayweather. I think the general point still stands though.

Watching highlights of it now. Hardly a meaningful punch being thrown -- Mayweather obviously likes to save his best shots for the fairer sex.

I wonder how many eejits will shell out 10k to watch a rematch of this stuff.

Comment

Someone needs to tell Mayweather you're supposed to hug your wife and punch your opponent.

Comment

A rematch? The fight of diminishing returns.

Comment

Basically this was the boxing version of Arsenal against Chelsea the other week. One side arrives set up to resolutely defend, but ends up with the most chances, while the other produces a few flurries to little effect. A nil-nil bore draw.

Comment

i watched it too. it was clear from the first minute of the first round that mayweather was going to win. physically he looked stronger and sharper. pacquiao caught him with one good left hand in i think the fourth round, and there was a spell of about thirty seconds when you wondered if he might fluke a knockout, but as the rounds went on he just didn't have the movement to catch floyd, the strength to hurt him when he did, or the energy to keep trying.

mayweather's brilliant but crowds only love fighters who take risks and he never does. i'm reminded of death in the afternoon, where hemingway is talking about the crowds hating the sort of matadors who assassinate the bulls without exposing themselves. if mayweather was a bullfighter he'd be throwing hand grenades at the bulls from a helicopter.

Comment

Fucking hell, this guy makes P Diddy look like a class act.

Comment

This is hilarious.
                            I'm really glad all you mugs who paid to watch this tripe have been totally cunted right off.

Mayweather's opponent is now claiming he had a shoulder injury going into the fight.
                            Why don't all the PPV'ers get together and sue him?
                            See how far that gets.

Comment

That'll be a good selling pitch for the rematch.

MAYWEATHER-PACQUIAO II: This time he's got two shoulders.

Comment

Calvert wrote: This is hilarious.
                                I'm really glad all you mugs who paid to watch this tripe have been totally cunted right off.

Mayweather's opponent is now claiming he had a shoulder injury going into the fight.
                                See how far that gets.
                                I know you don't like or understand sport (and tiresomely like to paint yourself as some kind of contrarian) but I'm more than happy to have paid a minimal amount to see the fight in full and as live just to see how it developed.

Some of us pay to watch sport all the time - we don't always get the results we might like but that ain't really the point.

Comment

Fucking hell, this guy makes P Diddy look like a class act.
                                  you aren't seriously annoyed by this are you? this is just what mayweather has to do to market himself, since he's not naturally the kind of fighter people want to watch or listen to. he figured out long time ago that the only way he could get a lot of people interested in his fights was by provoking them, so they'd watch in the hope he'd get knocked out. you heard the crowd last night.

Comment

Last night on Sky they asked Mike Tyson what he thought of Mayweather. Is there any other sport where they are happy to ask a convicted rapist what he thinks of the talents of a convicted woman beater?

It's a bit like asking Ched Evans to appraise the career of Paul Gascoigne.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Fucking hell, this guy makes P Diddy look like a class act.

I've seen that pic floating about Facebook with some message that he's picking one of all who likes his page and giving away $2,5 million to the person

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Calvert
                                        This is hilarious.

See how far that gets.
                                        I know you don't like or understand sport (and tiresomely like to paint yourself as some kind of contrarian) but I'm more than happy to have paid a minimal amount to see the fight in full and as live just to see how it developed.

Some of us pay to watch sport all the time - we don't always get the results we might like but that ain't really the point.
                                        I know, I get it.
                                        You're happy being a twat.
                                        Good for you.

Comment

The BBC must have misunderstood Amir Khan here.

"He will be fasting (for Ramadan) in September"?

It ends in July, this year.

Comment

Put me in the camp thanking the greek mythological god of boxing for not watching this thing. The hype itself had me bored.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Mayweather makes Roy Jones look like an innocent abroad when it comes to picking and choosing his fights. He didn't fight Pacquiao, Mosley, Cotto or De La Hoya until they were all coming to the end. He fought certain other boxers at certain very specific weights to make sure he won. And He dodged Casamayor, Margarito, Barrera and Morales altogether.
                                              Not so sure about this, De La Hoya and Moseley are 4-5 years older than Mayweather and only fought him for a final payday. Also Mayweather was a super Featherweight until 2001. Cotto is four years younger than Mayweather and was 31 when he fought him. He had also just revenged his loss to Margarito and beat Mayorga so was far from finished. Additionally, the fight was at Light Middleweight which would have suited Cotto more than Mayweather, the same goes for De La Hoya and Moseley.
                                              Mayweather moved up weights looking for fights because the likes of Tzu, Cosamayor and Naseem Hamed dodged him.
                                              It was Pac-Man that pulled out of the fight in 2009 as he was unwilling to undergo Olympic style drug testing as needles close to the fight freeked him out. Bear in mind, this is the same boxer who petitioned the Nevada state Athletic commission for a pain killing injection two hours before the fight and was having regular injections over the last week.

Margarito was a cheat who was beaten by Moseley just before he lost to Mayweather so he's a bad example. Also Barrera and Morales were always a couple of Weight classes below (at least until they were too old to be credible challengers).

Mayweather is probably the best pound-for-pound boxer of his generation and deserves to be in the conservation as one of the best of all time. As a purely defensive boxer he is peerless in any era.

Comment

A week later the real fight happens: Canelo v. Kirkland. I just saw a rebroadcast of this fight last night. Wow. Every time Kirkland fights I get this feeling that someone is going to die in the ring. I never felt like that watching Tyson fight because Tyson's knockouts were so quick usually, but Kirkland's fights look like wars. I assume anyone who follows boxing knows the result, but I'll avoid spoiling just in case. If you are a boxing fan, you need to find a way to see this fight.

Comment

So when are we going to see the winner of that fight (spoiler avoided) against Golovkin? I hope the matchmaking doesn't delay it until the latter is too old for it to be a genuine contest.

Slightly altered the title, would be good to have a regular thread.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Fucking hell, this guy makes P Diddy look like a class act.

I sort of love this picture, but hate the narrative.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X