Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree absolutely - is a complete circus and Mayweather should win easily. Saying that, Mayweather is particularly despicable and the sight of him strutting around during the Walsh-Davis fight last night and his attempt to be seen as a mature, father figure to Davis was infuriating.

On actual boxing, who does everyone have for Brook - Spence? Could go either way and so many interesting narratives around it...

Comment

Anyone watch it in the end? I was shattered after a busy day and rarely go for PPVs but listened on the radio and it sounded a good fight with Spence coming good on some of the hype about him.

Has Brooks got a problem with his eye sockets that is going to impair/end his career or is breaking both of them in two fights just dumb luck?

Comment

Sad to hear of the passing at three beginning of the week of Errol Christie.

I was too young to realise how talented a boxer he was, 10 amateur titles, and that he was expected to go on to be a world champion.

I remember the fight with Mark Kaylor and the racism that went with it but was too young to understand what it really meant in the context of the 80s.

In one of the obituaries it said he was selling baby clothes on Lewisham market until recently mashing that I must have walked passed him on numerous occasions.

RIP to a legend and ground breaker who did so much for boxing.

Comment

Joshua to fight Pulev at the Millennium next month...allegedly.

Comment

I managed to miss that BoxNation are broadcasting the GGG v Carnelo fight over here, not Sky. I thought the latter's channels had been strangely quiet about the bout in the lead up to it.

Comment

Completely missed that about Christie. What a shame. His autobiography looks interesting.

Comment

Right, anyone else watching this?

Comment

Shocking decision, fucking boxing shooting itself in the foot again. GGG controlled the fight with relentless weight of punches and was the clear winner. A really good fight not a classic - with a rigged result to engineer the rematch.

Canelo being booed in the interviews and the crowd chanting "Bullshit!", despite the fact that a vast majority of them are Alvarez supporters.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2017, 04:22.

Comment

Wanted Canelo to win, but that one judge scoring it 118-110 for him was shocking

Comment

That judge has previous apparently, absolutely fucking crooked. It shouldn't surprise me but the sheer gall of the corruption is shocking.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2017, 04:29.

Comment

I've just seen the result, and oh for fuck sake.

I have seen none of the actual fight.

Comment

I only saw the last 4-5 rounds via a Periscope stream so quality was inconsistent. I'd say Canelo might have won a slight majority of those rounds but my sense from tweets and newspaper round by round reports is that GGG won most of the middle rounds and Canelo won the first couple rounds. That doesn't come close to 118-110. It seems like the other two judges were more in-line with what I saw and read and had the third judge tallied properly, GGG would have won.

Of course, the result was messed up but on the plus side this looked like a really good fight. That means a rematch, which isn't a bad thing. It seems like this was the first fight in a long time to live up to the hype (maybe Canelo-Cotto was the other). It would be better had the result been accurate and GGG won and then we had a rematch, but maybe GGG wouldn't have been in a hurry to do that. Now both fighters will need to make it happen again.

Comment

Well, Tecate was a sponsor of the fight, and Canelo just started appearing in TV commercials for Tecate, he couldn't lose the fight.

Comment

On the Errol Christie story, Herol Graham has also been having some tough times. Graham had two unsuccessful shots at world titles but at least had the satisfaction of beating Kaylor (who, to be fair, seems to have become a decent character in middle age).

Comment

Is Alvarez sleeping with that judge to gain rounds? That was the same judge who inexplicably gave Alvarez a draw versus Mayweather. That night she didn't favour the more skilled boxer on the back foot yet last night she has nearly given every round to the man on the back foot who was nowhere near as dominant as Mayweather was.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  On the Errol Christie story, Herol Graham has also been having some tough times. Graham had two unsuccessful shots at world titles but at least had the satisfaction of beating Kaylor (who, to be fair, seems to have become a decent character in middle age).
                                  Shame to hear that about Herol. I think it was three world title fight but might be wrong. The worst was when Julian Jackson somehow recovered from an absolute beating to achieve one of the most spectacular KO's ever (watch the devastation here). Julian Jackson had one hell of a punch...

Comment

Yes, the third fight was a comeback in the late 90s when he was in his late 30s.

The Jackson KO is spectacular but Herol was far too open at that moment; bit of a schoolboy error, which I'm sure he's pondered many times. His earlier defeat to Mike McCallum was different as I recall McCallum being a very good fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                      Is Alvarez sleeping with that judge to gain rounds? That was the same judge who inexplicably gave Alvarez a draw versus Mayweather. That night she didn't favour the more skilled boxer on the back foot yet last night she has nearly given every round to the man on the back foot who was nowhere near as dominant as Mayweather was.
                                      It wasn't the same judge. The judge last night was Adalaide Byrd, but the Mayweather judge was CJ Ross.

Even so, Canelo seems to have one extremely dodgy scorecard in his favour for most of his fights. It's either corruption or a massive coincidence.

Comment

You are correct, my bad. That's what i get for believing what i read online. Both cards were heavily skewed in favour of Alvarez which, as you say, is either corruption or just two poor nights for the judges. I like to think it's just a bad night and a poor reading of the action. If there was corruption why not just go for 115-113 which brings the same result, a card in favour of Canelo?

Comment

HBO showed the Canelo-GGG fight tonight so I was able to watch on my TV versus watching a stream on my phone last week. Seeing it in this context, I continue to understand the outrage over Byrd's scorecard but I honestly don't see that the result itself was too far off. I didn't see Canelo winning this thing but if GGG won, it would have been very slim. GGG was certainly the busier fighter but a huge percentage of that busy-ness were jabs. His connect percentage was lower and Canelo landed a much higher percentage of power shot, which was obvious watching on a bigger screen.

From a strategy standpoint, I am surprised why Canelo parked himself on the ropes for rounds 4-7. In my mind Canelo lost the first round but easily won the 2nd and 3rd (although 10-9 since there were no knockdowns). Then he sat back, which created a perception that GGG was in control. But Canelo certainly showed that he could defend. GGG was never able to get off.

In the end, though, I think this was a good fight. I look forward to a rematch (on my phone and then on TV).

Comment

I didn't have a problem with the draw either. It's that one peculiar scorecard that's ruffled everyone's feathers.

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                            You are correct, my bad. That's what i get for believing what i read online. Both cards were heavily skewed in favour of Alvarez which, as you say, is either corruption or just two poor nights for the judges. I like to think it's just a bad night and a poor reading of the action. If there was corruption why not just go for 115-113 which brings the same result, a card in favour of Canelo?
                                            If you've been 'encouraged' to score the fight in favour of a boxer, you can't keep the scorecard that tight going into the last few rounds because someone might get knocked down a couple of times. Recognising knockdowns in the score is a matter of course rather than opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                              HBO showed the Canelo-GGG fight tonight so I was able to watch on my TV versus watching a stream on my phone last week. Seeing it in this context, I continue to understand the outrage over Byrd's scorecard but I honestly don't see that the result itself was too far off. I didn't see Canelo winning this thing but if GGG won, it would have been very slim. GGG was certainly the busier fighter but a huge percentage of that busy-ness were jabs. His connect percentage was lower and Canelo landed a much higher percentage of power shot, which was obvious watching on a bigger screen.

From a strategy standpoint, I am surprised why Canelo parked himself on the ropes for rounds 4-7. In my mind Canelo lost the first round but easily won the 2nd and 3rd (although 10-9 since there were no knockdowns). Then he sat back, which created a perception that GGG was in control. But Canelo certainly showed that he could defend. GGG was never able to get off.

In the end, though, I think this was a good fight. I look forward to a rematch (on my phone and then on TV).
                                              I saw the fight and like most it was a close fight and could have gone either way depending on what the judges liked.
                                              Canello did in practically all rounds the cleaner, more showy work, however in those middle close rounds, he would only fight for 30 seconds per round, then go onto the ropes and parry and slip punches whilst occasionally dropping his guard with a quick flurry before going back onto the ropes.

Looking at the fight, GGG looked slow and plodding being happy to soak up punishment in the hope he could land his punch. Mayweather was right about him being "straight up and down, no special effects" and shows that if he had fought GGG after the Pacquio fight as many wanted, he would have beaten him easily.

Canello, himself a pretty flat-footed fighter himself was made to look like Sugar Ray Leonard and would win the rematch decisively.

As for punch resistance, have you seen this. A similar punch knocked out Khan cold.
                                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GQ_nIf4qg

Comment

Katie Taylor boxing for a world title tonight, on what is technically the Joshua undercard.

Comment

And Taylor takes all ten rounds to win her first pro title.

Comment

James Toney: ‘I should’ve knocked Donald Trump’s head off and saved the world lots of trouble’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

I'd forgotten about Toney and how great he was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X