• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing football managers in chain bakeries

That looks infected.

Comment

Capy, wasn't the Carricks closer to Hintons than Sparkseses?

Comment

My mother worked in a bakery for at least ten years. Although I can’t recall her ever having mentioned anything about football managers as customers, one of her regulars was Jeremy Guscott, who I suspect wasn’t a bad footballer.

Another regular was Leslie Crowther, who may have met football coaches at some of Phil Lynott’s parties (I believe the latter was a Manchester United supporter).

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I was in the restaurant after the last game of last season. He bought our table beers and a few pizzas to share.
          Top man.

My only contact with the chairman of a high-flying German team was in a petrol station. Former St. Pauli supremo Corny Littmann bumped into me and then snarled at me as though it had been my fault.

Comment

Ooh I don't know. This was 1967 remember. All I can say is it wasn't Pybus. That was right at the other end.

Comment

The Milk Bar?

Comment

I saw Dennis Lawrence just outside the local Sayers (as was - now re-branded as a PoundBakery) a few months back.

He was in his full Everton coaching garb - whether he'd just nipped into Wrexham to see some old friends or doing a bit of scouting, who knows?

Comment

Graham Turner used to occasionally use my ex-girlfriend's mum's florists in Hereford. It wasn't a bakery but they stocked some pre-packaged cakes and sweets for Christmas, Valentine's and other special occasions.

Comment

In the late 90s I was alone in the Rafina Coffee Lounge, a perma-1970s cafe in Reading, when in burst John Gregory. He sat down, then at, at the window, a paparazzi style long lens appeared.

He looked up from the menu, noticed the camera and announced to the empty cafe, 'how have they found me here'. I wanted to tell him it was maybe because he was wearing full Aston Villa training kit with JG emblazoned on it, but he sounded angry so I said nothing.

A short time later his wife and two kids came in. I am pleased to say that a selection of baked products were ordered.

Over the course of the next few minutes he explained to his wife how he had had a furious row with 'him' and some very unpleasent things had been said, and 'that bastard' had gone to the press. There were then a series of phone calls whereby some sort of agreement was being made about what Gregory would admit to saying, and that anything else would be libelous. He also admitted he would 'have to let him go'.

The next morning the papers were full of Gregory threatening to shoot Dwight Yorke, but if only they knew the full gory details of what was also said, which they would of if they had staked out this particular licensed bakery.

Comment

As a paperboy I used to deliver to Argyle manager Dave Smith. One Saturday morning he greeted me at the front door and offered me breakfast. Being a managerial type, I now know I should have expected croissants or Danish. This being the 80's it was toast and marmite.

Great bloke, he gave me a fiver in my Christmas box, when the standard was 50p, a quid at most. Well it actually came out of Stewart Houston's pocket who happened to be there at the time..."Give the lad a fiver Stew".

Comment

Amazing thread.

Comment

I once saw Keith Curle picking up a Red Star package from Wolverhampton station.

I once ate a pasty in the same room as TV's Steve Bleasdale.

Comment

I once blockaded Keith Curle's coach inside a car park and made him very late home.

Comment

Come to think of it, Ron Atkinson laughed at one of my jokes in the Green Room after the recording of a TV pilot for which I'd been writing. There would definitely have been sandwiches on offer - and quite possibly further bakery-friendly sustenance.

He was a pre-scandal TV pundit by this time (2003) - but at least this offering touches upon more relevant points than my previous post.

(Green Rooms can be a great leveller: I have a very odd memory of sharing a gripe with Meat Loaf about some particularly poor Moroccan-themed food while on NMTB duty around fifteen years ago...)

Comment

About ten yearsago one of those flash London clubs was drawn away to play Swansea in the FA cup.

They had chosen for the players to travel down by train on the Friday and I was in the same carriage as them, sat across the aisle from their manager. This was in first class and when the complementary trolley came along, the said manager literaly emptied it of cake and biscuits, which he then stuffed into his pockets.

When the ticket collector came round, he was pointed towards the manager who was holding all the tickets. He explained that there were 24 tickets but only 22 peope as two had gone down on the coach which was meeting them there.

The guard explained a refund could be had on the two unused tickets. This seemed to strike a chord with the manager who wanted to know two things; how much and could he have it in cash?

The guard directed him to the ticket office at Swansea where £280 minus a ten pound admin charge could indeed be obtained.

On arrival at Swansea, the players were directed to their awaiting coach whilst the manager dutifully waited At a lengthy ticket office queue.

Eventualy he emerged triumphed with his new found gains. I enquired if it was going back to the club, to which he responded "like fuck it is" and disapeared onto the coach, his pockets still billowing with complementary confection.

This person managed in the Premier League this season.

Comment

Roger Milford was a regular visitor to a bakery run by the parents of one of my sister's former classmates.

Roger Milford was never a football manager, the bakery wasn't part of a chain and I never saw him there, but still.

In my defence, I did play in a game refereed by Roger Milford on one of the pitches next to a chocolate factory, the products of which were undoubtedly used in bakeries. And there were managers in attendance, many of whom would have visited bakeries.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: I once saw Keith Curle picking up a Red Star package from Wolverhampton station.
                                    I played several games on some municipal playing fields next to the Gateway branch run by Keith Curle's mother.

Maybe I'm getting all in a tizz for no reason now, but I'm sure I must have seen Keith Curle somewhere near this shop - which, although not a chain bakery, was part of a supermarket chain that sold pastries - at some point.

I also saw him doing the dance to The Birdie Song. Bakery products were conspicuous only by their absence and, for somebody who was a very graceful mover on the pitch, Keith Curle was pretty shit at The Birdie Song dance. Always a split-second too slow with the hand movements.

Comment

Keith Curle used to live in my grandparents old house.

Comment

I think I've worked out who BB&F's manager is. And, unless I'm hopelessly wrong, it was actually last season in which he was boss at a top-flight club.

Comment

A bloke I see at the football was cut up by Pep Guardiola in Giesing a few weeks ago.

It's possible Pep was on his way to the bakery to pick up Roggensemmeln.

Comment

I regularly frequent a supermarket owned by Holger Stanislawski and Alexander Laas that has a proper bakery in the foyer and a self-service bakery inside the supermarket itself.

I've never seen either of the owners there, although I did once see a well-known amateur footballer who will undoubtedly coach a team at some point in the future.

He didn't have any pastries in his trolley as he'd only just entered the supermarket and was still in the fruit & veg section. However, he definitely had that look in his eye that said, "I'm going to buy two Franzbrötchen and a 'loaf' of pre-packed Toastbrot."

Comment

Hang on a minute, I think I may have won this:

In 1989, I spent a few months in Stuttgart. A friend of mine, whom I visited at least once a week, lived in one of the suburbs. Her local bakery was part of a mini chain owned by Jürgen Klinsmann’s dad. The Klinsmann sons completed their apprenticeships there.

Jürgen Klinsmann was still playing for VfB Stuttgart at that time. Nutritional science being what it was back then, I’m sure Jürgen Klinsmann was still eating loads of bakery products, several times a day.

There’s no way, no way on earth, that Jürgen Klinsmann would have bought his rolls at a bakery that didn’t belong to his family. I must have waited for the tram outside that bakery at least 20 times. I must have seen him there, I simply must have.

And even if I didn’t see him there, I’ve still won:

About 20 years ago, St. Pauli had a part-time Danish midfielder, Morten Jensen, on their books. He normally played for the reserves. If he was injured or dropped, he’d turn up at the games anyway, have a couple of beers and a sausage (with half a slice of dried bread, cut into a triangle, but that’s not what I wanted to say) and chat to the supporters. He also coached some of the youth teams.

What was Morten Jensen’s day job? Yes, that’s right, he was a baker.

So, I’ve drunk beer more than once with a former semi-professional footballer and coach who used to spend every day in a chain bakery. Fucking beat that.

Comment

I served celebrity Reading fan Michael Parkinson in my Dad's bakery in the late 1980s. He asked for "bread rolls", which I assumed was posh talk for teacakes.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: I think I've worked out who BB&F's manager is. And, unless I'm hopelessly wrong, it was actually last season in which he was boss at a top-flight club.
                                                  I think I know who it is, but I think the fixture was longer ago - in 1999.

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote: I think I know who it is, but I think the fixture was longer ago - in 1999.
                                                    That best fits for the manager to be whom I really, really wanted it to be. Good work.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X