• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Non-Matchgoing Thread

LIMEABLE?

Comment

Anyway, I'm watching Chelsea v City in the Youth Cup final. It's shite. We're all fucked. There is no future, and not just because the planet is dying. The rainforests are being cut down, and the top two youth sides in the country are the two sides you;d pick last when you were selecting clubs you'd trust to safeguard the future of English football. None of these kids can pass a ball, and the polar bears are slowly being suffocated.

Comment

What? Surely not, I thought this was why Hodgson was England manager, why we were throwing money at clubs to develop academies, so they could produce footballers. I'm quite frankly shocked that we aren't doing so, really I am.

But yeah, Bournemouth are a seriously impressive outfit. Hope they enjoy untold levels of patronisation, though.

Comment

A giant has just made it 2-1 to Chelsea. Paul Bright, the FC United academy coach, was saying how many youth teams look for players who are good now, rather than who will be good in 5, 10 years time. And that will often be the biggest and strongest player, and not the most technically accomplished.

I don't know how good this Abraham lad for Chelsea is. But he's just scored his 39th goal of the season. And he's enormous. I wonder if these two things are linked?

Comment

I meant to say, hope Bournemouth are ready for untold levels of patronisation. Duh.

Comment

Kermogant really Kermoganted that penalty.

Comment

Nicely done from Bournemouth tonight. I think they can start the celebrations.

Hope the AFCB fans on here have a great night!

Comment

Yes, nice to see them go up (though could have done without it being thanks to the stereotypical Russian investor, much like Watford), especially as I have a colleague who is a Cherries fan of 50 years standing.

Comment

"JUST LOOK AT THESE SCENES!" says Sky's commentator (twice) of footage of people uninvolvedly filming things on phones.

Comment

So, Twitter tells me that AFCB will be the 47th different club to play in the Premier League.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: So, Twitter tells me that AFCB will be the 47th different club to play in the Premier League.
                        They'll be the one that no one gets on Sporcle in five years.

Comment

Yes, congratulations to Bournemouth. Well deserved.

Looking at the dross in the lower reaches of the Premier League, I think they'll stay up comfortably.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: So, Twitter tells me that AFCB will be the 47th different club to play in the Premier League.
                            Rogin is scribbling away on a piece of paper with his tongue nearly touching his ear trying to list them.

Comment

It something like 65ish for the top flight in total, if one assumes Football dates back beyond 1992.

Comment

cantagalo wrote: Yes, congratulations to Bournemouth. Well deserved.

Looking at the dross in the lower reaches of the Premier League, I think they'll stay up comfortably.
                                That is the bottom reaches of the Premier League that currently includes last seasons Championship top 3 in 17th, 19th and 20th place, right? Three sides who, last season, were at least as good as Bournemouth and Watford have been this. OK, maybe not QPR, but arguably Leicester and Burnley in '13-'14 were better than the two sides who have gone up this time.

Without significant investment the height of Watford and Bournemouth's ambitions will be 17th place. Again see Burnley, and even they brought in a few, though only George Boyd seems to have gained a regular spot in their team.

Comment

Actually, talking of investment has me wondering. Bournemouth have been around for a century and a quarter, give or take. I wonder what their entire historical income is? Prior to the last handful of seasons they won't often have turned over more than £2million in a year. And then there is all that historic inflation to take into account. It may be that next seasons £90million bonanza will be more than half the amount the club has taken in in it's entire existence.

Comment

Let's see how the "£90m bonanza" is handled though, recent cases like Blackpool, QPR and Tan United make me wonder how much long (or even medium) term good it does a club.

Comment

Hi all, my own preview of play-offs for anyone interested: theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com/2015...-conference-leagues/ Comments/feedback welcome

Comment

Your self-promotion needs work.

Proper link here.

Comment

It's not mine. I just c&pd it from every other thread Ingoldale had posted it on.

Comment

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: Hi all, my own preview of play-offs for anyone interested: theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com/2015...-conference-leagues/ Comments/feedback welcome
                                            Needs more jokes.

Comment

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote:
                                              Originally posted by ursus arctos
                                              So, Twitter tells me that AFCB will be the 47th different club to play in the Premier League.
                                              It's mostly Americans on there - they love a story like this and I think they'll be easier to recall for the purposes of a memory test then the likes of Barnsley, Oldham and Swindon.

Comment

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote:
                                                Originally posted by ursus arctos
                                                Just did the Premier League clubs quiz on Sporcle and can report back the ones no-one gets are Stoke and Leicester.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Let's see how the "£90m bonanza" is handled though, recent cases like Blackpool, QPR and Tan United make me wonder how much long (or even medium) term good it does a club.
                                                  Well it just depends on whether or not the chairman is a mentalist and pisses away all the money. Qpr, Hull and Cardiff are prime examples in this regard. Most other clubs use the windfall to clear some of the debt they accrued getting to the premier league. They also spend money on upgrading their training facilities and the likes.

if you keep your head and accept that you may yoyo, you can benefit hugely from a spell in the premiership and seriously strengthen your club. But if you spend all the money on trying to stay in the premier league then you won't gain any benefit and eventually lose out to better run clubs and be relegated and turn into a financial black hole.

It's not clear what bournemouth's plan is likely to be, but given the well planned nature of their rise on the pitch, you'd assume that they are well run off it.

Comment

Well that was exactly my point, the "£90m bonanza" isn't a good in of itself, it depends how "it's handled" and how the club is run generally.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X