Turf Moors: Weekend match going thread

Horse spunk.

Comment

Are these all mascot suggestions?

Comment

GOAL!

And now Fulham get another pen, Friend off.

3-1.

Comment

GOAL!

Comment

Derbyshire misses an excellent chance. We're buggered...

Comment

Yes!

Comment

GOAL!

Comment

4-3 Fulham.

Comment

Another another for Fulham, which looks like it promotes Watford.

Comment

Well it got much better in the second half

Comment

FFS, Barrow are evens to win by 36!!

I don't take massive punts but by god this could come in.

PS I have spent most of this afternoon at the Hawkeshead Brewery visitors centre.

Comment

Karvina 0 Varnsdorf 0

There are dire 0-0 draws and then there's this game. For once, there was some prescience in the match programme. 'Varnsdorf might not be the most exciting team in the league,' the profile on the visitors read, 'but they're one of the hardest to play against.' One of the hardest to watch as well.

They had one good player, though, their no4, a midfield would-be playmaker. My neighbour on the terrace pointed him out within five minutes of the start. Whether this was based on something he'd seen in the opening exchanges or on prior knowledge I wasn't sure.

It was a good observation anyway. Not only did this player have a better technique than anyone else on the pitch, he was the only one trying to liven the game up, with quick forward passes, quickly-taken free-kicks etc. His team-mates, meanwhile, seemed happy to defend what they'd started with.

So when the ref blew the final whistle, Varnsdorf's no4 dropped to his haunches in obvious disappointment, while the rest of the side went round high-fiving each other. The no4 had it right, I reckon - a promotion-chasing team should have been after the win here, as Karvina weren't much good at all.

A couple of home fans were demanding their entrance money back after the game. That amused me, as it had only cost 40 Crowns (less than 2 quid) to go in. Karvina's not a well-off place, but that's still not much of an outlay.

Comment

1384!

Just won the golden gamble.

£240 which I am spending on a taxi to Holmes Green and Lindal to clear the GBGs.

Comment

Friday
                                Walk up to Churn Milk Joan and then watched Calder 76 win the big derby against Hebden Royd Red Star in front of a crowd of well over a hundred.

Saturday
                                Dull 0-0 between Bingham Town and Ruddington Village in the morning, followed by a drive down to Stamford where the home side needed a win to stay up whilst visitors Witton just had to draw. With Witton 2-0 up at half time it didn't look good for the Daniels, but a much improved second half performance saw them draw level and then take the lead with about ten minutes to go. The closing stages saw Albion have lots of possession but couldn't score the crucial goal.
                                It was then back up the A1 to Walesby for the bottom of the table clash in the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division, eventually won 4-2 by hosts Sandhurst after Kirton Brickworks had taken the lead early on.

Comment

Tremendous game in Luton yesterday between Kent Athletic and New Bradwell St Peter. The ground is tucked right between houses and a factory about five minutes from the motorway, a sports and social club formerly associated with (I think) a print works. The clubhouse is very respectable for Step 7 but the team cannot get promoted because of the lack of floodlights - a shame, because they've been one of the strongest teams in the SSML Division 2 for the last few seasons. In a year's time, however, Kents will need to find a new ground because part of the land is being sold off for housing. There are reportedly a couple of irons in the fire as regards alternative venues but I've no idea where they might be, as Luton as not exactly overendowed with suitable facilities.

Athletic came into the match unbeaten in the league since November and guaranteed to finish second, New Bradwell were looking for the win that would secure third place and promotion at the expense of challengers Brimsdown. The Peters got off to an absolute flyer, taking the lead inside fifteen seconds as big forward Lloyd Nurse tucked Conor Collins' cross inside the near post. Cue huge, and stunned, celebrations by the contingent from MK.

As the game settled down it was an even, competitive affair, tidy little midfielder Jack Magill running the show for Kents and goalie Karl Gudgin also very impressive for the home team. On the New Bradwell side ex-Coventry starlet Leon Lobjoit illuminated the match with his stupendous touch, while human dynamo Dan Bevis in central midfield put in a characteristically exhausting shift. The Peters had more clear cut chances for Lobjoit and top scorer Charlie Flanagan but Gudgin pulled off several outstanding saves, while Kents were always a threat down the flanks, especially after New Bradwell right back Perry Steadman went off with a twisted ankle.

The second goal looked like it would be crucial and with fourteen minutes to go from absolutely nowhere it went the way of the home side, a Peters defender under no pressure slotting a header into his own net, in a botched attempt to deal with a simple cross. A calamity for New Bradwell's promotion hopes, but things got worse in injury time when Chris Mapp's speculative shot squirmed through a crowded Peters penalty area to win it for Kents.

A pretty gut-wrenching way to conclude the season from a New Bradwell perspective, but as the visiting committee members retreated to the clubhouse to make short work of the fine local hospitality, news came through that promotion rivals Brimsdown had suffered a shock 2-1 loss at mid-table Mursley United. The Peters therefore confirmed a third-placed finish, leading to a happy jaunt back up the M1 to north Bucks.

Comment

I'm forced to ponder how many gags I'd make about "defensive walls" if I ever got the chance to see Kirton Brickworks play.

Too many, certainly.

Comment

Janik wrote: Another another for Fulham, which looks like it promotes Watford.
                                      On the plus side, we got to ruin the Fulham players' lap of honour, which while a bit ungracious was tremendously entertaining.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: FFS, Barrow are evens to win by 36!!

I don't take massive punts but by god this could come in.

PS I have spent most of this afternoon at the Hawkeshead Brewery visitors centre.
                                        Hmmm, it appears the bookies might know what they are up to. 86 - 0.

Comment

At our match yesterday, Darlo v New Mills the referee was the partner of Premiership ref. Michael Oliver. Who was also in attendance.

Comment

My granddaughter and me decided on a pitch invasion at Cliftonhill so we could get up close to the trophy celebration. My first one since Anfield 1973.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I'm forced to ponder how many gags I'd make about "defensive walls" if I ever got the chance to see Kirton Brickworks play.

Too many, certainly.
                                              I think they keep leaving spaces for windows - they've conceded 137 goals in 29 league matches.

Comment

Yesterday was great if you take out the match - a complete non-event with a horrible undercurrent of violence running throughout. The offers of fights were met by our younger element bouncing up and down singing "Champions!" at them, which sent the Osti-clad fatnecks into the clubhouse to throw punches instead. I'm sure that's not representative of the club most of the time, but it's enough to ensure I won't be going back next season (hopefully they'll lose in the playoffs anyways).

Unless we sack off the match and return to the Tractor Shed brewery, we we spent a couple of hours post-match. Or Britain's first co-op pub, the Old Crown, where we went before the game. Because those two places were fucking great, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Comment

Went to Borehamwood today for Arsenal v Sunderland.

Arsenal started really brightly with Natalia, Danielle Carter, Vicky Losada and Lianne Sanderson carving Sunderland open. When Natalia scored inside the first five minutes and it looked like it would be a whitewash.

But actually Sunderland were really good at counter-attacking and Beth Mead up front was a threat off long-balls - she levelled the game midway through the half and ought to have scored before that.

Arsenal's pretty play began to look ineffective, Sunderland weren't giving the time or space to open them up. And that continued for most of the second half - Arsenal dominating but not really getting any decent looks at goal.

Then Kelly Smith and Carla Humphrey came on. Within five minutes, they'd combined to put Smith through, she was brought down (and crocked) by Holmes. Holmes was sent off and Natalia put away the penalty. A five minute cameo from Smith that totally changed the game.

After that, Sunderland were just trying to keep the score respectable. A few minutes later Humphrey nodded in Arsenal's third and then Danielle Carter hit a nice strike from the edge of the area.

Finished 4 - 1; a harsh scoreline for Sunderland.

Comment

Sutton United 1 Maidenhead United 2

I chose the sociability of catching up with old mates at a meaningless end of season fixture over the glory-hunting of seeing trophies clinched and handed out at my other options.

The first thing of note on entering Gander Green Lane was seeing 43 year old Wayne Shaw take his place in the home goal. It was a double shock because Shaw doesn't look like he should be playing even semi-pro football (see first pic below) but also because the last time I saw him he had jumped in to the crowd to fight Kingstonian supporters during the warm up for a Surrey Senior Cup tie last season (see second pic) and was subsequently fired by the club.

It appears he crept back in a few months ago, possibly Sutton decided fighting opposition fans wasn't such a bad thing after all?

Anyway, nothing so eventful happened this time. Sutton took an early lead and Maidenhead equalised when an innocuous 25 yard shot bounced off a section of Shaw's bulk and slipped in to the goal. They claimed a rare away win in the 84th minute when a seemingly overhit free kick was hooked back across the box from the byline and no Sutton player reacted allowing a knock down and volleyed goal.

A really nice afternoon in a lovely ground and pleasant atmosphere, the fact that Maidenhead's manager was taking charge for his last game and Sutton are ripping up and selling their pitch to go 3G in the summer only adding to the end of term feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X