Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turf Moors: Weekend match going thread

M******* Reserves 3 O********* Reserves 3, Frankfurt Kreisliga XXX

Just four yellows and a red, and two penalties in today's mass moan-in masquerading as a game of football. "I've seen better behaviour in the Under 12s," I said, blowing the final whistle three minutes early because both sides seemed intent on finishing their afternoon with a massive brawl. Some of the players agreed, apologised and shook my hand. The away team retreated to the far end of the pitch, because the home team was 'waiting' for them in front of the club house. I stood in the middle, a one-man buffer zone who would ultimately have been powerless to stop them wading in if they'd really decided to go for it. At least they were mad at each other, and not at me. Eventually things cooled down, as they do when enough people suddenly think, "Wait a minute, what are we intent on beating the shit out of each other for exactly?"

The away team made it to their changing room, picked up their bags, and scurried off in full kit to another part of the building so they wouldn't meet their opponents in the shower (which could have made for some steamy footage). I'm still not exactly sure what everyone was so mad about, but there was a lot of whining along the lines of, "Ref, he was holding me!", "Ref, he used his elbow!". Main thing, I got paid and home safely. What a bunch of 20-something drama kings.

And also on the plus side, it caused me to miss yet another dire FSV Frankfurt 1-1 draw.

Comment

Working...
    X