Turf Moors: Weekend match going thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to a good mate who's boss has insisted that he works this Saturday, he's kindly passed on the ticket for the game at Burnley to me. Big game for both clubs, with the momentum with the visiting Foxes, particularly as Ashley Barnes won't be around to crock Esteben Cambiasso.

Anyone doing anything watching wise this weekend, or are you spending time in the garden?

This afternoon I'm off for a walk round Mythylmroyd before the big Halifax League clash between Hebden Royd Red Star and Calder 76.

Tomorrow it's the Nottinghamshire Senior League groundhop. I'm probably going to do the first and fourth matches (Bingham Town v Ruddigton Village and Sandhurst v Kirton Brickworks). In between I'll go the big relegation decided between Stamford and Witton Albion.

Comment

Going to watch Orient play Sheffield United, taking three-year-old daughter with friends and their three-year-old. Could be lively. Not least because we might well be relegated tomorrow. Last time I took the littl'un was Wembley last year, which was similarly traumatic.

Character-building, it is.

Comment

Last trip to New York for the season for me. Any Canaries travelling?

Comment

Off up to Workington to see the Champions lose their final game of the season.

Comment

Last game of the season away at already relegated Dartford. Nothing to play for but pride and possibly, 13th place.

Likely i'll be drunk enough that the game is just a blur.

Comment

I'm hoping to go to New Bradwell St Peter's last game of the season - a titanic clash in the back streets of Luton against Kent Athletic. The Peters need a win to finish third in the SSML Division 2 and thereby guarantee themselves a promotion spot. Kents are second but can't go up because they don't have the facilities, although their form is excellent and they won 1-0 at New Bradwell a month or so ago.

The game takes place in the context of a kerfuffle caused by the withdrawal from the league on Monday of Ealing Town. The SSML's response was to wipe Ealing's record, to the disappointment of some - including New Bradwell and the other promotion contenders, fourth-placed Brimsdown. Both still having a game against Ealing left to play, they were hoping the SSML's decision would be to award them three points for the cancelled fixture, but that hasn't transpired.

Instead, the Peters and Brimsdown have both had deducted the three points from their earlier victories over Ealing. The big winners in all this are, drum roll, Kent Athletic, who suffered two shock to defeats to Ealing and therefore have not had any points taken off -- a process which, furthermore, means Kents can no longer be overtaken by New Bradwell or Brimsdown. So it's all jolly exciting, with just a whiff of controversy.

Comment

I'm still trying to decide from a long list of possibles that include ;

- Sutton United v Maidenhead United as I love Gander Green Lane, haven't been there this season and a couple of mates may be there supporting the respective sides.

- Molesey receiving the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League Premier Division trophy at Westfield (the club in Woking, not the shopping centre).

- Farleigh Rovers aiming to secure the CCRCCLD1 title at home to Staines Lammas.

There just aren't enough Saturday afternoons in the week, are there?

Comment

Royston Town have an interesting game in prospect on the last day of the Southern League Central Division. They are 2nd, 2 points ahead of Aylesbury and 3 in front of Bedworth United, but with a worse GD than both the chasers. Kettering are champions and have long since taken the one automatic promotion, meaning all these sides will be in the play-offs. However the play-offs at this level are one-off matches at clubs venues, so the exact finishing order of teams matters quite a lot.

A win for Royston means the Semi at Garden Walk and any potential Final also being there. A draw will keep Bedworth at bay, but might see runners-up spot forfeitted to Aylesbury. The issue is Royston are playing Rugby Town tomorrow. Rugby currently sit 6th, two points behind 5th-placed Barton Rovers. So they must also win for their own purposes.

I won't be going, on the grounds that it's at Rugby. But it should be a tight, tense match and might be worth a squizz for anyone in the vicinity.

Comment

Off on-call so a long weekend of a mixture of sports, Islands, GBG and sustained drinking,

Friday - Leeds v Warrington

Saturday - 1500 Kendal v Scarborough Athletic
                    1830 Barrow v South Wales Scorpions

Sunday - Salford v Castleford

Last night was Swindon 55 Kings Lynn 37

This also gives me the opportunity to clear two more from this years challenge of having a pint on every English island with a licensed premises, with an overnight stay at Piel and getting the ferry from Roa.

Comment

Cheltenham versus Shrewsbury.

Relegation and / or promotion decider (possibly)

Hoping if Shrewsbury win no idiots run on the pitch or anything graceless like that.

Comment

In honour of BB&F! I wanted to try to clear a guide pub last night while I was in Ipswich for the speedway but realised it requires more planning than just a quick google when you get off the train.

Comment

Tight schedule, BB&F! Are you going to have enough time to hunt down some interesting cheese? And is your formerly sectioned sidekick along for the ride?

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:

This also gives me the opportunity to clear two more from this years challenge of having a pint on every English island with a licensed premises, with an overnight stay at Piel and getting the ferry from Roa.
                            I was on Roa Island a couple of months ago. The hotel has closed down but you can still get a pint at the sailing club there. Roa used to be a railway terminus with a ferry across to Morecambe Bay. If you look hard enough you can spot one or two clues to its former existence.

Comment

Darlo v New Mills.

And. For me. That's the season over!

Comment

Bury vs Wimbledon with my girlfriend and her daughter. The nine-year-old has so far been to the home game versus Southend that wa sabandoned after six minutes and the surprise 2-1 defeat to Morecambe on Bank Holiday Monday. She may yet be a curse; we'll see by 5pm tomorrow.

One things is sure, though: Adebayo Akinfenwa will play, and he will score.

Comment

I'm going to Stevenage v Carlisle - hoping we can urinate copiously over Westley's play off destiny.

Comment

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: Off up to Workington to see the Champions lose their final game of the season.
                                    Give my regards to Borough Park, won't you?

I have to go out shopping for new suits this weekend, so sport watching will more than likely be off. That said, the Blue Start for the Marathon is about 5 minutes' walk across Blackheath, so I might wander over and have a look see.

Comment

Unshockingly, it's Bradford v Barnsley for me.

Comment

To Fulham for a tense afternoon watching my heroes trying to keep the automatic promotion dream alive. Promotion, that is, to a league I'd really rather prefer them not to be in. And a guide pub for starters.

Comment

Fruut van Marjinsen wrote: Off up to Workington to see the Champions lose their final game of the season.
                                          If you were minded to do so, you could come out of Borough Park at full time, go for a couple of pints nearby and then go into nearby Derwent Park for the speedway (Comets v Edinburgh Monarchs - tapes up 7pm).

Comment

He's not joking about nearby, either.

Comment

I'm on a coach. And I doubt I'll be anywhere near the ground at FT.

Comment

What if the girl of your dreams is manning the bar at Derwent Park? Just don't go looking back in 20 years and regretting that you stayed away when you were this close.

Comment

Little tip for making friends with the locals, EIM - take loads of jam butties and hand them out to the home fans at the turnstiles.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X