Unreciprocated rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreciprocated rivalries

McAvennie wrote: The Rangers, and the Scottish press, seem especially keen to create a rivalry between them and Celtic.
    Hah, we know we've been usurped by Inverness in your affections now.

Strangely the last three seasons have been so introspective for our support that focussing on any other club has been largely absent from most fan discussions, in person or online. Added to us not actually competing directly with Celtic they have fallen way down our normal dislike list, a list dominated by directors, former directors, managers, players and journalists now. If we get promoted I'm sure some enmity might return. You lot on the other hand haven't stopped thinking and speaking about us at all whilst we've been away, indeed sometimes I think you miss us a little too much...

As for the Aberdeen thing that was never reciprocated. They were thought about four times a year when we played them and then they were forgotten about until next time. Their clear thing for us remains a source of bemusement for most bluenoses. Indeed in recent times Dundee Utd have probably irked us far more than Aberdeen.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Jongudmund wrote:
      Originally posted by Benjm
      Walsall aren't really seen as peers by any of the other West Mids teams.

The everyone's second favourite tag really bugs hardcore Swifts fans.
      What? I don't know anyone who would call them their second favourites.
      Sorry, post didn't really convey that I meant the idea that Walsall are the second favourite West Midlands club among supporters of the bigger WM clubs. It's seen as a pat on the head/no threat thing.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

The Swindon and Gillingham one that Alderman Barnes mentioned is good. It dates back to a match in 1979 at Priestfield. The Gills had a player sent off and Swindon's Ray McHale spent much of the afternoon winding up the home crowd. The game ended 2-2 and a Gills fan ran on the pitch and punched the referee.

The return match took place a few weeks later, with McHale again prominent - a foul on him resulting in another red card for a Gillingham player. Swindon won 3-1 and after the final whistle there was a huge punch-up, which resulted in the Swindon coach, Will Tranter, being hospitalised. A couple of Gillingham players faced trail for assault but were acquitted. The Gills missed out on promotion by a single point and pointed the finger of blame at Swindon.

They met again in the 1987 Division 3 (old money) Playoff final, played over two legs. If away goals had been taken into account then Gillingham would have won through. The first match at Priestfield saw the home side win 1-0, but Swindon won the game at the County Ground 2-1, thanks to a late goal from Charlie Henry. A replay was arranged at a neutral venue and four days later, Swindon beat Gillingham 2-0 at Selhurst Park.

Gillingham have despised Swindon ever since, much to the bemusement of the majority of Town fans.

Tranmere is another one. Their fans have an enduring dislike of Swindon because of events in 1993. Both teams were challenging for promotion to the Premier League and Tranmere came to Swindon on a February evening. Tranmere were heading for a 2-1 win until the floodlights failed and the match was abandoned. Swindon won the re-arranged match 2-0. The teams met again in the Play-offs a few months later. In the first leg at the County Ground, Swindon stormed into a 2-0 lead (which remains one of my favourite twenty minutes of football). John Aldridge pulled one back and then had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out for a foul. Swindon added a third and despite losing the second leg at Tranmere, did enough to go through to Wembley, where they beat Leicester 4-3 in a game which shaved a few years off my life expectancy.

The thing is, after the match at Prenton Park, fans of both teams met on the pitch and swapped scarves and handshakes. I still have a Tranmere scarf from that night, along with a lightbulb I may have taken from the scoreboard as a souvenir. It's only in the years since that resentment seems to have festered amongst Tranmere fans over the floodlight failure in February and the disallowed Aldridge goal.

To be fair though, we have something of an unreciprocated rivalry with Bristol City, who are far more preoccupied with Rovers and Cardiff (who are probably more interested in Swansea).

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

G-Man wrote: England and Germany.
          The ultimate example, I would think.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Big Daves Gussett wrote: I still have a Tranmere scarf from that night, along with a lightbulb I [strike]may have taken from the scoreboard as a souvenir[/strike] stole.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

D'you think Tranmere will try and kickstart rivalries with us and Chester next season?

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Let them grieve a bit first.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Southport, I'd have thought, will also be one of Tranmere's tastiest games next season. They can't have met since Southport were voted out of the League in 1978.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Giggler wrote:
                    Originally posted by Jobi1
                    Apparently York are the only team in the league that nobody considers to be a rival, so essentially anything we consider a rivalry is unreciprocated. I'll just make it fair and say we hate you all equally.
                    With a bit more put by for Bury after that incident before the play-offs in 1993? There seems to be a lot of hate for us from sections of your support.
                    There is that whole unpleasantness, yes. As with many of the rivalries mentioned with this thread, that particular nastiness is mainly kept running by people who in a lot of cases weren't even born at the time of the game in question. Personally I would never count it as a true rivalry as it has absolutely nothing to do with any events on the field or to do with the clubs themselves.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Jobi1 wrote:
                      Originally posted by Giggler
                      Apparently York are the only team in the league that nobody considers to be a rival, so essentially anything we consider a rivalry is unreciprocated. I'll just make it fair and say we hate you all equally.
                      With a bit more put by for Bury after that incident before the play-offs in 1993? There seems to be a lot of hate for us from sections of your support.
                      There is that whole unpleasantness, yes. As with many of the rivalries mentioned with this thread, that particular nastiness is mainly kept running by people who in a lot of cases weren't even born at the time of the game in question. Personally I would never count it as a true rivalry as it has absolutely nothing to do with any events on the field or to do with the clubs themselves.
                      Yep, I agree. For info, my mum looked after the woman in question at Fairfield Hospital.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Giggler wrote:

Yep, I agree. For info, my mum looked after the woman in question at Fairfield Hospital.
                        I was only 12 years old at the time. All I remember of the day was finding it funny that if I stood on the first step of the Cemetery End the pitch was at my eye level, and my mate getting in trouble with his dad on the way home for making a hole in the car seat with a Swiss Army Knife. Ah, the days of innocence...

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Southport, I'd have thought, will also be one of Tranmere's tastiest games next season. They can't have met since Southport were voted out of the League in 1978.
                          We're going to have to find someone else to play in pre-season.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Three Times A Reddy wrote: D'you think Tranmere will try and kickstart rivalries with us and Chester next season?
                            Ha Ha, I don't think there's any need for any kickstarting, it's already started judging by reaction to our demise, and events with Gary Mills today.

I remember the recent games against Wrexham were a right mixed bag, the one that got Mathias sacked was painful, but then Brian Little managed that 5-1 win at the Racecourse.

I attended some games v Chester but as I was about 6 or 7 can't remember them.

Quite a soft spot for Southport but I'm sure some will try and make something of it (and Alty and Macc)

I often wonder what derby games vs New Brighton were like back in the day...

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

An Aldershot fan on another forum I used to go on really hated Reading, but I don't know if that was a proper rivalry or not.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Haussmann wrote: An Aldershot fan on another forum I used to go on really hated Reading, but I don't know if that was a proper rivalry or not.
                                Yeah, no love lost there. Big rivalry back when Aldershot were in the old third and fourth division.

I was strolling through Wokingham town centre one afternoon at the end of the 1995/96 season when Wokingham were at home to the Shots and I happened upon a brawl involving Reading and Aldershot hooligans.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

I can guarantee quite a few Norwich fans of my acquaintance will be piling in if we (a) make the play-offs and (b) play them.

The rivalry, at least in my days of regular attendance, was very much two-way.

Comment

Working...
                                  X