Unreciprocated rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreciprocated rivalries

With reference to DR's thread on lost rivalries, are there other unreciprocated rivalries out there similar to that of Shrewsbury's with Wrexham being ignored somewhat by the other party because they have an even bigger rivalry of their own to deal with?
    One that springs to mind is Notts County, who seem to find their more illustrious neighbours across the Trent merely patting them on the head in a patronising big brother fashion whilst they focus on their rivalry with Derby instead.

Unreciprocated rivalries

Ah yes, we were thinking on the same lines.

I think Sean has had the same thought as me, clubs who simply don't have a proper symmetrical rivalry and nobody thinks of them as their main rival.

I always think of Leicester as one of the highest profile examples of this, everyone around them geographically has someone else they care about more don't they?

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Rangers and Aberdeen

Man Utd and Leeds

Barcelona and Espanyol

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Green Calx wrote:
        Man Utd and Leeds
        Of course, probably the most obvious example, and as a result Bradford City have to deal with similar levels of rejection.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Walsall aren't really seen as peers by any of the other West Mids teams.

The everyone's second favourite tag really bugs hardcore Swifts fans.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

England and Germany.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Middlesbrough and anybody.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Wait, I'm pretty sure Man Utd hate Leeds.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Yes, but that hasn't been the case for well over a decade.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Even then, though, are they not more fixated on Liverpool and Man City?

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Ah, you edited it.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Wednesday and Rotherham

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Well, I edited it because... just because Leeds have been hopeless for half a generation, does that sort of loathing ever really subside?

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

They just don't care about them these days, any more than they care about someone like Blackburn. It'll go back to the way it was again when Leeds get promoted, though that day appears to be a long way off.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

The larger point here of course is that Leeds, like Chelsea, can't really have unreciprocated rivalries, cos everybody hates 'em.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

With three senior teams in Devon and no other clubs close by, Torquay find themselves the odd one out. The whole rivalry thing down here is complicated and works something like this:

Plymouth detest Portsmouth (older generation, dockyard related), Bristol City (nearest club of a similar stature - not reciprocated, they've got cross city rivals)
                                  Exeter (younger generation, peaks if we've not played for a while, but tends to mellow out after a few seasons of meeting each other especially if we're both crap)
                                  We had a thing with Burnley and Luton for a handful of seasons, but long since forgotten.

Exeter certainly have a thing for Argyle, see Division 4 threads passim. The posters on here can confirm but I believe they did see Bristol Rovers in a similar way as we did Bristol City.

Torquay look at Plymouth, but find themselves patted on the head. For many Argyle fans they are a second team. I'm not sure any team sees them as a serious rival, maybe Yeovil could be persuaded.

Hang on, is this the correct thread for this?

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

ad hoc wrote: Wednesday and Rotherham
                                    You could also add Barnsley and Doncaster Rovers to the righteous side of that equation...

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Green Calx wrote: Rangers and Aberdeen
                                      Actually you could substitute Aberdeen's name with about a dozen other sides who have supporters who seem to obsess about us, even now.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

I was under the impression that Donny fans had largely made their peace with our existence these days and were more focused on you lot

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Dunno why. They've played you more than us recently.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Perhaps it was that abusive piece in your programme a few years back

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

They fucking started it by attacking me; the inbred scum.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

Villa and Coventry. Not really sure who Cov should have as local rivals- at one point this season it was looking like Nuneaton were in with a shout- but although they seem to get excited about Villa, the feeling isn't reciprocated.

Comment

Unreciprocated rivalries

I suspect Villa don't fully reciprocate any of the dislike felt towards them in the West Mids - by Coventry, Albion or Birmingham.

There is a definite animosity towards Blues, of course there is, but I don't think it quite matches the hatred that comes the other way.

And from a Villa point of view, the Albion rivalry seems to need proximity in the league or a meeting in the cup to really bring it to life.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X