Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could have been a 'player'...

... who would you be?

I would be Bobby Murdoch. (OK, I would want to be him).

In reality, I would probably be a faster Jonjo Shelvey. Which, is not too bad.

what say you?

Wanted to be: Hagi.

Would have been: a non league Glen Johnson.

Comment

If you don't want to be a footballer like Eric Cantona, you have to question what the fucking point would be.

Comment

The Ballad Of Lightbowne Lil wrote: If you don't want to be a footballer like Eric Cantona, you have to question what the fucking point would be.
        Oh please.

Berbatov is de rigeur. Cantona can fuck off. (just realised that you might be the ONE. Still, I would rather be Alain Giresse, than that Cantona. At least I got a game.)

Comment

I'd be Matt Le Tissier. I've already got the not running at all bit sorted, it's just the scoring 35 yard goals I'm struggling with.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
            Originally posted by The Ballad Of Lightbowne Lil
            If you don't want to be a footballer like Eric Cantona, you have to question what the fucking point would be.
            Oh please.

Berbatov is de rigeur. Cantona can fuck off. (just realised that you might be the ONE. Still, I would rather be Alain Giresse, than that Cantona. At least I got a game.)
            You're not going to tempt me to slag of my former love, Dimitar Berbatov BUT:

Keep Calm & Pass to Me

verus

Influencing an election to create a debate over the provision of social housing, speaking out against racism and Islamophobia in France, scoring in Cup Finals, booting bad scruffs and being really, really, really fucking cool.

Comment

I'd be Robbie Savage, just so I could retire early, return to Wrexham and retrain as a joiner.

Comment

"verus"

OK, you might win, but I get to 'not care'.

And, dont forget, you are up against Bobby Murdoch. You will lose.

*edit: to the ballad of Tallahassee Bridge

Comment

I'd have either have been Iron man centre-half Sam Allardyce, powering headed goals in from 20 yards out. Or Pat Jennings.

With more talented people than me snaffling the glamour positions I had to look elsewhere on the pitch. Though I've always been a bit anti-hero in my thinking.

Comment

Hmmm, I have always aspired to be Ray Wilkins towards the end of his career. Not moving from the centre circle and just throwing out great passes to other players. I almost manage it as well just without the great passes.

I always would love to be Jeff Eckhardt, a hero of a man and a centre half but don't think I would do him justice so I would probably be Matt Coupe who is a red-faced shouty permanently angry ex-Bath City defender who also played for Wales' semi-pros.

Comment

Judging from my belly, Jan Molby.
                      From my style of play, Milan Baros.

Comment

God knows. Claudio Caniggia. Alan Bloor. That kind of thing.

Comment

In my dreams: Johan Cruyff, every time.

In reality: something closer to Stuart Rioley on a bad day; lots of running up and down, pinging in crosses from the right. Occasionally accurate.

Comment

Wannabe: Diego Armando Maradona. Obviously.

Wouldabeen: Jamie Carragher. Limited plodding defender.

Comment

After bagging a high-quality hat-trick in the Montgomery County Over 35s League a few years back, one of my team-mates compared me to "Ryan Giggs in his prime". I saw and continue to see no reason to contradict him (or to inquire too closely if he was taking the fucking piss). And no, I'm not shagging my sister-in-law.

Comment

As a yoof, I aspired to be Shep Messing (the former Cosmos and US goalkeeper). I managed to play the same position and attend the same university, but that was about as far as it went, in part because my body type and playing style is more Gabor Kiraly.

Comment

As mentioned in the squad number thread, I've never had any ambition whatsoever to play football at any level beyond primary school - where I was the goalkeeper.

So as a player I'd like to be someone like Stuart Taylor; a squad goalkeeper with little chance of playing but still gets in all the photos and gets paid pretty well to put on a tracksuit and visit primary schools occasionally.

Comment

Even as a kid, I always wanted to be the undersung sidekick. I preferred Blackie Gray to Roy Race. Roy Race was a twat, let's face it.

So for me, Ronnie Whelan not Ian Rush, Burruchaga not Maradona. I'd have been Xabi Alonso in Benitez' side.

Comment

When I was younger I enjoyed playing as a defensive midfielder, suffocating the opposite number 10 and initiating counter-attacks. I had stamina but I was small and lacked pace.

In short, I was a shit Didier Deschamps.

Today maybe I'm more of a shit Charlie Adam, without the murderer aspect of his game (and I'm right footed). Set pieces, passes, fierce shot, turning circle of a tanker, central midfield, a sense of 'would be better if fitter'.

I wish I were Dennis Bergkamp, even a shit one would have been just fine...

Comment

An anonymous full-back who does all the dirty work without getting the glory. Denis Irwin.

Comment

Steve McManaman - mazy dribbler - could never get the hang of it.

Instead I was more of a less-intimidating Vinnie Jones. Get stuck in and boot the ball clear.

Comment

Would have liked to be: Brian Little, obviously.

In reality: a less talented (white) Luther Blissett. Mark Hateley perhaps. Or Andrea Silenzi.

Comment

Socrates: intelligent, pre-Berbatov languid, liked a fag and a drink, heroic failure in '82, though I accept that Bobby Murdoch could probably have taken him in a square-go.

Comment

The Ballad Of Lightbowne Lil wrote: If you don't want to be a footballer like Eric Cantona, you have to question what the fucking point would be.
                                                There is no other answer.

Comment

I wanted to be Coiln Bell, until I realized the physical condition that you needed to maintain to play like him. Oh, and the talent.

I more a bit of a Sunday League James Milner, reasonably respected by friends and foe but a bit..meh.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X